2 minor problems?? (overwatering plant issues)

I have 2 small issues going on with my plants. 1 is fungus gnats and the other is plants showing signs of overwatering. The gnats are a result of the overwatered wet soil and once I figure out how to decrease the amount of water getting into my soil, both problems should be solved. I've read about adding sand and or rocks to the top of the soil but wasn't sure. Any tips on limiting the amount of water entering my soil without messing with my misting system? Thanks in advance!

the sand and rocks at the top is to prevent chameleons from eating dirt, and from feeders making nests in the soil

I just filled the bottom 1/4 or so of my pots with gravel, and have them drain directly into the mister catch basin.

Other than that,you could technically just make a plastic cone around the base of the plant to deflect water, but it would look kinda funny.

+1.

Are you perhaps overmisting? Is this a bioactive or standard setup?

If, when misting, water runs down into drainage, it may be too much. I'm afraid messing with your misting schedule is the best way to stop overmisting.
I timed how long it took until water just started running out, and that's the length of all misting sessions. I allow things to dry out during the day, but mist more often during the night (in lieu of a fogger).

It also helps to be aware of—and select plants for—their various needs: light, water, plant food, etc.

+1.

Are you perhaps overmisting? Is this a bioactive or standard setup?

If, when misting, water runs down into drainage, it may be too much. I'm afraid messing with your misting schedule is the best way to stop overmisting.
I timed how long it took until water just started running out, and that's the length of all misting sessions. I allow things to dry out during the day, but mist more often during the night (in lieu of a fogger).

It also helps to be aware of—and select plants for—their various needs: light, water, plant food, etc.
Standard dragonstrand cage with a ficus tree and a bunch of umbrella plants
Its only 2 3-minute misting sessions

The best solution is to change your substrate to something that drains better. Avoid anything with perlite (which is a great additive but your cham will eat it). Instead use LARGE grade horticultural charcoal and barks, and some long stand sphag moss to create a better draining soil. I do this for my aroids which are prone to rotting if they dont drain well. I also like adding 1-2” of zoomed’s coco earth substrate to the top, as well as mixinng some in. That will keep your cham from seeing the charcoal and bark - but yhe larger chunks should deter it from trying to eat it anyway.

Gnats will continue to be an issue until it drains better. I like to hatch mantis ooths in the cage - they’ll clear up the gnats AND they make a tasty, enrichment treat.

The best solution is to change your substrate to something that drains better. Avoid anything with perlite (which is a great additive but your cham will eat it). Instead use LARGE grade horticultural charcoal and barks, and some long stand sphag moss to create a better draining soil. I do this for my aroids which are prone to rotting if they dont drain well. I also like adding 1-2” of zoomed’s coco earth substrate to the top, as well as mixinng some in. That will keep your cham from seeing the charcoal and bark - but yhe larger chunks should deter it from trying to eat it anyway.

Gnats will continue to be an issue until it drains better. I like to hatch mantis ooths in the cage - they’ll clear up the gnats AND they make a tasty, enrichment treat.
Like the charcoal used for grills?

No No. At a plant nursery or even big box stores like Lowe’s they have charcoal for plants to put in the bottoms of your pots. It helps with drainage but also helps keep things from smelling bad.

Just twice. The mistings aren't the problem, its the soil. Its just staying wet and not drying whatsoever
Then I would say you need to change/use a different soil mix and drainage.

This is a relatively easy fix in principle, though it will involve some labor—i.e. research & repotting everything.

First, I would review care of each species to determine the best soil, drainage, etc. by species. Potting soil for Ficus benjamina will be different than potting soil for Schefflera arboricola, etc.

Digging & tasting can be dissuaded by filling the top inch of each pot with natural (uncoated) river pebbles too large for your cham to swallow.

We've never used charcoal for a drainage layer in pots—just pebbles/stones.

Charcoal should be mixed in the substrate. Its too expensive to use as a drainager layer, IMO, and it can be dirty/dustier than other options. If I need a drainage layer in my pot I usually add a handful of large fir bark to the bottom. I get my soil ammendments from orchid shops or amazon (orchid supplies). Home Depot’s bark is not the same and very likely to have harmful fungus in it.

This is my soil mix for Anthrium, Philodendron, and Monstera. You dont need it quite this chunky, but the photo is meant to show some of the media I use. I’d add more peat and/or coco fiber in the mix for a cham cage. I would also put a layer of the coco fiber on top. It is also airy and well draining, but meant to cover the other bits your chameleon might mistake for food.

CE57144A-B609-4A92-A17B-67855FAFBA3D.jpeg

Then what are you using as a soil mix is your tank bio ?

me? A similar mix. I mix various grades of for bark and orchiata bark, large chunks of charcoal, tree fern fiber and sticks, coco fiber (zoo med’s not exo terra’s for vivs), coconut husk, sphag moss, and some peat. I use probably 40-50% zoo med coco earth mixed w the rest. Then I add 1-2” of coco earth on top, followed by a layer of leaf litter.

It drains very well, but I dont need it quite as chunky as the Aroids. Actually, I could make it just as chunk and the plants would love it with my heavy misting, but the bark and stuff is a lot more expensive than the 40-50% coco earth.

I love orchids but mine are just orchids from wal mart and the grocery stores but I love them! I’ve been keeping them for about 3 years now.

Back
Top Bottom