1st problem

veiled

:(so here it is....my 1st problem. i havent had any chameleons in the last 10 years and things have changed alot. we just got a baby veiled boy and he has been doing great. but he seems like his eyes are hurting. he wants to open them but he squints them closed quickly. one of the eyes is open more than the other. i have a real concern about my uvb. he was doing so good eating/drinking. i gutload with fruits/veggies. shake on the supplements. humidity 50-70%. 60 watt heat light. its 80 degrees on that side and 73-75 on other side. hes a little guy. 5 weeks so he's in a 10 gallon with screen top. been keeping it really clean. we are about to order his big screen cage and all new lighting. well when i was researching lights to get i saw that no one likes the zilla lights and i was like hey i think thats what he has right now. well sure enough we had bought the stupid zilla tropical 25 series linear uvb. i didnt think much about it because we are getting reptisun 5.0 for new setup. so it was temporary. well everything was going good until one day he was hanging upside down under the uv light. i got him down and he kept going up there. so i thought he wasnt getting enough light so i slid the light protector half out(oh ya these dumb bulbs have a plasic/acrylic piece that slidesover the bulb). i always wondered it this peice blocked too much light so i slid it only half way. well he seemed happy with that and was sitting on his branch so i went about my house cleaning. next time i checked on him he was hanging upside down on the screen under the uncovered part of the bulb. he was squinting real hard and got down and has been struggling opening them since. i havent uncovered the bulb since and my husband elevated the fixture a little. but he always wants to hang right under it on the screen like he needs more light. can his eye get hurt by the light and if it did will it get better. HELP

You need to stop use of this fixture now. If this is a old model, it will burn the skin right off your chameleon. Not to mention blind him/her.

i was afraid someone would say that. thanks. does anyone know if his eyes will get back to normal. he seemed a little better this evening.

read it. thanks. i will return it tomorrow. still have the receipt. only had it a week.

Back
Top Bottom