14% Arcadia t5 yay or nay??

Lexlynn

Established Member
Went to the store today to get a new 12% Arcadia bulb to my luck they only had 14% so I got it anyway since the store is 3 hours away from me and I don’t go often. Is this okay? There are numerous spots she can hide from the light I just don’t want this bulb to set fire to my cham ...

You can reduce the amount of UVB your chameleon gets by raising it higher above the top of the cage but I have never heard of a 14% bulb so I don't know how high you would have to go to get it into the proper range. @nightanole @Klyde O'Scope
Yeah this is it - guy at the store said should be okay just highly raised. How do you raise them?
image.jpg

What type of fixture are you using that you would use a 12% with? Unless it is a quad with a single reflector for all four bulbs it would put out way too high a uvi level. And a 14% is even stronger. So really need details on your fixture.

14%for dragons (Uromastyx, bearded dragons, monitors, frilled lizards, caymans, tortoises in large enclosures) chameleon academy used to show the distance required for safe uv but no longer shows it since lighting guide been updated. Think it requires alot of clearance as above enclosure, also not good to expose yourself to the uv especially eyes. I would only use with a uv meter in a huge viv

You can reduce the amount of UVB your chameleon gets by raising it higher above the top of the cage but I have never heard of a 14% bulb so I don't know how high you would have to go to get it into the proper range. @nightanole @Klyde O'Scope
From Arcadia's website:
The Arcadia Reptile 14% UV-B ‘DragonLamp’ is our most powerful HO-T5 reptile lamp.
UV-B14%
UV-A30%
Lumens800lm
Kelvin7500K
CRI95

Suitable for reptiles requiring high levels of UV-B​

kept in large enclosures.​

• Bearded Dragons
  • Blue-tongued Skink
  • Frilled Lizard
  • Agamids
  • Uromastyx
  • Tortoises
  • Freshwater Turtles
  • Bosc Monitor

Following the link to their lighting guide, and inputting veiled chameleon (from one of OP's earlier threads), they don't even list the 14% bulb, but the recommended distance for the 12% T5HO UVB (3-4 UVI) is 15"-24" (40-60 cm).

Extrapolating from that, a distance of 18"-28" might be indicated, HOWEVER...
I still state you shouldnt go above a 5.0/6% without a meter. Too many edema cases with 10.0/12% and "guessing" by saying well planted or plenty of places to hide. Even the 5.0/6% need to be elevated 3-6".
I would still go further and state that a UV meter is/should be required equipment for keeping reptiles in captivity—as much as having UVB at all, an adequate sized enclosure, etc. If we're going to tell people that a realistic number for getting into this "hobby" and doing it right is $1000, then either that should include a way to work a meter into that figure, or the figure should be raised to $1200.

That said, I'll also point out again that these meters can be built DIY for considerably less, and there's an opportunity for an enterprising individual to acquire the parts and sell kits or assembled meters.

Went to the store today to get a new 12% Arcadia bulb to my luck they only had 14% so I got it anyway since the store is 3 hours away from me and I don’t go often. Is this okay? There are numerous spots she can hide from the light I just don’t want this bulb to set fire to my cham ...
Nay.

I would preferably like to see this bulb exchanged/returned for a 5.0/6%, or a UVI meter be used in adjusting the height above basking. I'm uncomfortable recommending/suggesting a specific distance otherwise, even though it should be possible.

I would caution that these bulbs can begin even stronger than rated, and require up to 100 hours to "break/burn-in".
Per Gehrmann & Ferguson, 2005,
The majority of the UVB output decline happens during the first 3 months after the initial peak (baseline peak being tested against, which is after approximately 100 hours of burn time -i.e. the break in period).
I have read this from other sources as well. I'm usually not concerned when we're talking about a 5.0 or 6% bulb, but this 14% is over twice as strong.

Last edited:
From Arcadia's website:

Following the link to their lighting guide, and inputting veiled chameleon (from one of OP's earlier threads), they don't even list the 14% bulb, but the recommended distance for the 12% T5HO UVB (3-4 UVI) is 15"-24" (40-60 cm).

Extrapolating from that, a distance of 18"-28" might be indicated, HOWEVER...

I would still go further and state that a UV meter is/should be required equipment for keeping reptiles in captivity—as much as having UVB at all, an adequate sized enclosure, etc. If we're going to tell people that a realistic number for getting into this "hobby" and doing it right is $1000, then either that should include a way to work a meter into that figure, or the figure should be raised to $1200.

That said, I'll also point out again that these meters can be built DIY for considerably less, and there's an opportunity for an enterprising individual to acquire the parts and sell kits or assembled meters.

Nay.

I would preferably like to see this bulb exchanged/returned for a 5.0/6%, or a UVI meter be used in adjusting the height above basking. I'm uncomfortable recommending/suggesting a specific distance otherwise, even though it should be possible.

I would caution that these bulbs can begin even stronger than rated, and require up to 100 hours to "break/burn-in".

I have read this from other sources as well. I'm usually not concerned when we're talking about a 5.0 or 6% bulb, but this 14% is over twice as strong.
I ditched the bulb - kept it in case I ever get an animal which could use it but I went to the local pet store to get a reptisun while I wait for the Arcadia bulb to get here... got a t8 my luck so I have to go back. Thank you so much for all of this information it’s been a great help.

What type of fixture are you using that you would use a 12% with? Unless it is a quad with a single reflector for all four bulbs it would put out way too high a uvi level. And a 14% is even stronger. So really need details on your fixture.
I have the reptisun hood - someone else advised 12% to me; should I potentially switch to 6%/5.0?

I have the reptisun hood - someone else advised 12% to me; should I potentially switch to 6%/5.0?
Yeah you want to switch to a 5.0 or 6%. Then your basking branch would be 8-9 inches below to get an approximate 3 UVI. Using anything higher then those options are going to put your cham in much too high a UVI level or cause you to have to raise the fixture or lower the branches reducing usable space.

The only time a 12% should be used in a fixture on top of a cage is if it is a quad fixture with a single reflector. Because the multiple bulbs and one reflector for all reduce the output of the UVB bulb.

And whomever told you the 14% has no real understanding of the output of these bulbs. I am sorry they led you astray but happy you posted so you could get a lower strength bulb then the 12% you were misinformed about.

Yeah you want to switch to a 5.0 or 6%. Then your basking branch would be 8-9 inches below to get an approximate 3 UVI. Using anything higher then those options are going to put your cham in much too high a UVI level or cause you to have to raise the fixture or lower the branches reducing usable space.

The only time a 12% should be used in a fixture on top of a cage is if it is a quad fixture with a single reflector. Because the multiple bulbs and one reflector for all reduce the output of the UVB bulb.

And whomever told you the 14% has no real understanding of the output of these bulbs. I am sorry they led you astray but happy you posted so you could get a lower strength bulb then the 12% you were misinformed about.
I ordered one so thank you so much for your help !!!

Back
Top Bottom