125w Solar glo

ya get reptisun or reptiglo 5.0 tube bulb...reptiglo replace ever 5 months...reptisun every 8 months imo....and use a regular incandesant heat bulb...higher wattage for higher heat oput

imo = in my opinionm

Last edited by a moderator:
i used a zoomed powersun for a while but got paranoid about not enough uv with light too far away. heard horror stories about burnt lizads if its not a desert lizard... blah blah blah... i went back to the tried and true 5.0 with incandecent. i am just saving mv for my beardie when his other one burns... which i hear is only after a year or longer.... even uv output lasts that long....

I use one.... doing just fine... a little hot though... I have to keep it a good distance from my veiled's basking spot, to keep it in the low 90's.

Heat and UVB should be two different bulbs.

-Steve

not necessarily true.
I know people who have used Mercury Vapor Bulb to great success.
However, I would say that all of them own a UVB solarmeter.
and, like everyone else said, its positioning has to be absolutely well thought since it does emit high uvb and a lot of heat.

not necessarily true.
I know people who have used Mercury Vapor Bulb to great success.
However, I would say that all of them own a UVB solarmeter.
and, like everyone else said, its positioning has to be absolutely well thought since it does emit high uvb and a lot of heat.

I decided to give these a try on a 2 month nosy bes I thought were growing too slow. I have seen an amazing change. They are growing faster, lighter colors and they seem to like it.

I have to add that I own a solar meter and I am constantly monitoring temp, humidity and UVB.

I started to use it once I sold one of my chams and the person I sold it to put one of these on his cage. After a few days the colors on the cham were amazing, way better that when I had it. I always used the regular reptiglo 5.0 and a separate 40w light for basking, but for some reason I see the chams react different to solar glow. Just my personal experience.

i used a solar glo for a little while (much to alot of peoples horror on here lol) Dave (my veiled) loved it temps were great overall temps were also good i borrowed a solar meter and everything was good, although my first one lasted 2 weeks and then smashed whilst poor dave was basking under it (no spray for hours so not my fault) but it was meshed over though so he was fine. i got another one (free replacement) and that one popped around 2 weeks later again no shatter this time though. i took it back to the shop and swapped the set up for a uvb bulb and a seperated heat lamp FOC. i wont use one again poor reliabilty in my experience.:mad:

Yeap, they are very delicate, I found voltage variations could easily damage them. My first went down after 2 weeks, and Im on my second one (also a free replacement) I'm on my second week.

fingers crossed yours is good this time, i was very happy to have the shade sat on mesh when my first one popped cause dave was sat underneath it basking and coud have been cut :(

Most mercury vapor bulbs are self ballasted bulbs and unfortunately they tend to burn out easily. In my experience Megaray bulbs from www.reptileuv.com and T-Rex Active UV bulbs have been the most reliable.

Megaray is also available in external ballasted version and that is just GREAT. A single bulb lasts, I mean provides usable UVB levels, for more than a year.

Unfortunately ReptileUV is in the middle of dealing with a recall so I am not sure what they have available right now.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom