10 month chameleon not eating much

Ctaylor

So my little ambilobe is about 10 months old. The breeder I got him from said he was born around the 19th July.

I keep his temperature at about 30c in the day (after 8am) and 26c on a night (after 8pm). His heat lamp is 100W I believe and his normal white light is 15W. His vivarium gets sprayed every couple of hours. His humidity is almost always above 70%. He gets fed 10+ extra large locusts a day. Crickets continually escape from the vivarium so I can't really feed them to him unless I hand feed them. I have no idea how they're able to get out, but they are. I feed the bugs store bought bug grub and veggies like celery and collard greens.

He hasn't been eating very much for the past week or so. He doesn't seem to drink much throughout the day either; whenever I go to spray his vivarium he tries to rush and drink straight from the spray bottle I use? But his eyes look nice, his colours are bright and his skin bounces back to flat if you 'wrinkle' it.
A couple of days ago during the night I got a gut feeling to check on him for some reason, and he was asleep on the bottom of his vovarium. I quickly opened it up picked him up and he was freezing so I turned up his heat lamp and sat him under it on my hand for about 5 minutes to warm him up before he went back to sleep.
The last time he shed was in February I believe, my memory is horrible. So that may be wrong.

Why are you waking up your chameleon to heat him up under a lamp? That is extremely stressful and unnatural. They are supposed to get cold at night. That's how their metabolism slows down, which helps them rest.

He was sat on the bottom, on the paper towels, freezing. Not just cold, but freezing.
Maybe I was in the wrong for doing that, but hey, I panicked and did it. I cant change that now.

Do you think there might be anything medically wrong with him, or is the not eating for a while a generally common thing not to worry about? He is my first chameleon so I'm still learning

I've been reading up on stuff and chameleons growth tends to slow down around 18 months, could my chameleon just be slowing down earlier? So because his growth is slowing down he doesn't want to eat as much?

Back
Top Bottom