1 year old Veiled Constantly Keeping Mouth Open + Liquid Urine

Orcawhale

Once again I've become paranoid that something is wrong with my Chameleon. Its probably at least the 5th time this year but hear me out :p. Over the course of the past 3-4 days Vincent has been constantly "gaping" his mouth open. I don't believe this to be related to heat, because his basking temperature is only 88˚ F. He also does it all over the cage when he is not basking. The past two times he has urinated it seems to have been liquid. As it come's out in puddles. The pictures below are of Vincent, he immediately closes his mouth as soon as I pull a camera out, so I had to zoom from really far away to get one.
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG

Often chameleons will do that around a shed . I'm not sure though with the liquid poo . I'm sure an experienced keeper can help answer that . Do you have a good vet if you're boy needed to go ?

Often chameleons will do that around a shed . I'm not sure though with the liquid poo . I'm sure an experienced keeper can help answer that . Do you have a good vet if you're boy needed to go ?
Yeah, he did just finished shedding a ton. I'm glad to think that might be the reason. He isn't pooping liquid its just the urine, it seems completely normal. I haven't introduced him to any new food item either... I don't currently have a vet, though my parents would most definitely not support spending the money on visiting one, it was hard enough getting them to let me get a Cham. I'm going to try every other option before that, though if it comes to it, I'll find a way :D

Yeah, he did just finished shedding a ton. I'm glad to think that might be the reason. He isn't pooping liquid its just the urine, it seems completely normal. I haven't introduced him to any new food item either... I don't currently have a vet, though my parents would most definitely not support spending the money on visiting one, it was hard enough getting them to let me get a Cham. I'm going to try every other option before that, though if it comes to it, I'll find a way :D
They also slow eating while shedding . As long as the urine is clear you're probably in good shape .

I'm new with chameleons those few thing I know for sure . See if anyone else chimes in . Nursemaia , and Jannb are fantastic so if they chim in there info will be right on .

If he's drinking more at the moment or eating "juicier" feeders his urate may be more liquid. As a cham tries to reabsorb liquid from intestinal contents the urate gets denser, chalkier, and harder. It gets more concentrated and that starts to turn it orange, especially on the "older" end.

They also slow eating while shedding . As long as the urine is clear you're probably in good shape .

I'm new with chameleons those few thing I know for sure . See if anyone else chimes in . Nursemaia , and Jannb are fantastic so if they chim in there info will be right on .
I have noticed that he's eaten less, that makes a lot more sense!

I have noticed that he's eaten less, that makes a lot more sense!
Just make sure you're boy is extra hydrating . He also could be getting sick of you're choice for him lol . They really like variety if you have more options try them out . If you have sweet potato red Sweet bell pepper , raspberries . Collard greens maybe give them a try here and there .

Just make sure you're boy is extra hydrating . He also could be getting sick of you're choice for him lol . They really like variety if you have more options try them out . If you have sweet potato red Sweet bell pepper , raspberries . Collard greens maybe give them a try here and there .
I've had a hard time getting him to eat stuff that doesn't move, I've managed to get him to take a bite of banana, and also eat some greens, but I'm only successful when he is really hungry. How can I keep him more hydrated? He definitely steers clear of the automatic misting nozzle, he hates the water that comes out of it. I've also never seen him drink, though I am aware that many people don't see that.

Has he had a fecal recently? Some parasites can cause runny stools.
What do you mean by fecal? A vet visit? I haven't yet taken him to the vet, I'm trying to avoid that option due to the expense, my parents would definitely not support spending the money on a visit, when they didn't want me to have a Cham in the first place. Of course, if it was necessary I would definitely find a way to get him there.

I've had a hard time getting him to eat stuff that doesn't move, I've managed to get him to take a bite of banana, and also eat some greens, but I'm only successful when he is really hungry. How can I keep him more hydrated? He definitely steers clear of the automatic misting nozzle, he hates the water that comes out of it. I've also never seen him drink, though I am aware that many people don't see that.
Yes very true many don't see there Chamaeleon drink .you can give him a shower ,Try very warm water in you're mister or a misting System if you don't already have one that's timed that would go off more often throughout the day . If your hand misting you should be missing for at least five minutes 3 to 4 times a day , I do 2 10 minute then the other 2 five or eight minutes . I just ordered a misting system . I have read on here water temp does not matter but with my girl she will run to a Corner turn black if the water is cold or room temperature . If it's warm almost hot she will walk right into it and just stand there with her eyes closed as if she's taking a shower . So I wonder with automatic mister how she will be or just get used to it .

Last edited:
Yes very true many don't see there Chamaeleon drink .you can give him a shower ,Try very warm water in you're mister or a misting System if you don't already have one that's timed that would go off more often throughout the day . If your hand misting you should be missing for at least five minutes 3 to 4 times a day , I do 2 10 minute then the other 2 five or eight minutes . I just ordered a misting system . I have read on here water temp does not matter but with my girl she will run to a Corner turn black if the water is cold or room temperature . If it's warm almost hot she will walk right into it and just stand there with her eyes closed as if she's taking a shower . So I wonder with automatic mister how she will be or just get used to it .
I currently have a monsoon rs 400, which is more of a rainfall system than a mister. I have it set to go off for about a minute every 3 1/2 hours. I could probably set it to go longer, but with it being a rainfall system, it would easily flood the cage. It was a serious problem with the baby cage, but a couple months ago the bigger one resolved it. Vincent really dislikes the mister, he steers clear of it, and has even worked out its schedule so he knows exactly when to hide. The water is of course room temperature, because the reservoir sits for weeks without needing filled. Perhaps I will try giving him a shower, though he would probably take off and try to climb out of the tub.

I currently have a monsoon rs 400, which is more of a rainfall system than a mister. I have it set to go off for about a minute every 3 1/2 hours. I could probably set it to go longer, but with it being a rainfall system, it would easily flood the cage. It was a serious problem with the baby cage, but a couple months ago the bigger one resolved it. Vincent really dislikes the mister, he steers clear of it, and has even worked out its schedule so he knows exactly when to hide. The water is of course room temperature, because the reservoir sits for weeks without needing filled. Perhaps I will try giving him a shower, though he would probably take off and try to climb out of the tub.
If you have a plant or a Climbing tree that's great for the shower . Bounce the water off the wall so it's not directly hitting him . Check with @Nursemaia to see if you should have mister longer I believe she has that one ? Have you checked with vet if you can bring fecal in without him it would be a less inexpensive way if they allow that .

It sounds like you have a drainage problem in your cage. The cage shouldn't be overflowing if you have a drainage bucket under it.

Back
Top Bottom