1 Nosy Be 2 Cages

DonKeesh

Chameleon Enthusiast
Anyone else totally spoil their chameleon with an indoor AND outdoor cage? Bioactive planter box design outdoors and floating garden with drainage tray indoors. Moving one back and forth was not possible so 2 Cages for one chameleon it is!

PXL_20210918_125458386~2.jpg

PXL_20210901_151917951.PORTRAIT.jpg

Your cages are so beautiful! I want to aquire this greatness! Lol I need tips & tricks from you... I'll be waiting ♡

@Snuits @Beman thank you both! Indoors I use the oddysea quad fixture with one 12% arcadia T5 and 3 6500k vivosun T5s (on provided legs). And the incandescent heat bulb of course. I also fertilize the indoor plants with organic espoma liquid fertilizer for houseplants (when the chameleon is removed) every couple of months. Let me know if you have any other questions!

@Snuits @Beman thank you both! Indoors I use the oddysea quad fixture with one 12% arcadia T5 and 3 6500k vivosun T5s (on provided legs). I also fertilize the indoor plants with organic espoma liquid fertilizer for houseplants (when the chameleon is removed) every couple of months. Let me know if you have any other questions!
This one at this link? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Espoma-O...VDh6tBh0djgPwEAYYASABEgI4U_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What is the wait period before you put your lil man back in the cage after using the organic fertilizer?

This one at this link? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Espoma-O...VDh6tBh0djgPwEAYYASABEgI4U_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What is the wait period before you put your lil man back in the cage after using the organic fertilizer?
Yep that's the exact one! If it's summer I just put him in the outdoor cage for a day or so after fertilizing the indoor plants. I do thoroughly spray down the cage and plants with RO water in my pump mister to wash away any fertilizer that comes out of bottom of pots. Then I just clean the bottom of cage and vacuum out drainage tray.

Yep that's the exact one! If it's summer I just put him in the outdoor cage for a day or so after fertilizing the indoor plants. I do thoroughly spray down the cage and plants with RO water in my pump mister to wash away any fertilizer that comes out of bottom of pots. Then I just clean the bottom of cage and vacuum out drainage tray.
Perfect thank you!

@Beman I was doing some cage maintenance and thought of a couple other tips for keeping plants thriving in the cage. First I start with large plants. I usually get an 8 inch hanging basket of very full pothos. I remove some soil and then literally have to cram the roots into the standard black 1 gallon pots recommended by chameleon academy. Tip 2 is that I also regularly prune the plants by cutting back new growth. This is especially important with pothos and keeps them full looking. Then the other tips previously discussed... high power 6500k lighting (3 t5ho vivosun bulbs) and occasional fertilizing. Good luck with those green thumbs.

@Beman I was doing some cage maintenance and thought of a couple other tips for keeping plants thriving in the cage. First I start with large plants. I usually get an 8 inch hanging basket of very full pothos. I remove some soil and then literally have to cram the roots into the standard black 1 gallon pots recommended by chameleon academy. Tip 2 is that I also regularly prune the plants by cutting back new growth. This is especially important with pothos and keeps them full looking. Then the other tips previously discussed... high power 6500k lighting (3 t5ho vivosun bulbs) and occasional fertilizing. Good luck with those green thumbs.
Don how far back are you trimming the pothos vines to keep them fuller?

@Beman Just the newest leaf on each vine, cut it back to the nearest node. Maybe once a month.
I was having an issue with getting long vines but the plant itself was not bushy after a while. Like the bulk of it was dying off. I will try this because I never knew where to actually trim them back. Thank you Don!

@Beman yes exactly... Pothos are notorious for getting "leggy" which is exactly what you described. Trimming the plants back regularly prevents this... encourages new growth from the pot and keeps the plant bushier.

@Beman yes exactly... Pothos are notorious for getting "leggy" which is exactly what you described. Trimming the plants back regularly prevents this... encourages new growth from the pot and keeps the plant bushier.
Thank you for thinking of me! I just keep rotating them out of the cage and putting them under grow lights. They get really thick then I rotate them back in. Beman eats them faster than they grow so that is an issue as well. lol

Back
Top Bottom