1 Month Old Male

deansangell

Hi, i am a new Chameleon owner :). I’ve had him i wanna say for 2 and a half maybe less weeks. He was very very tiny when i got him and seems to be even smaller now. He used to be this little active guy now he is constantly with his eyes shut, stopped eating, very very weak, and i don’t even think he has drinkin any water. I have a feeling i might loose him...but i don’t want to. I don’t think i can go through that...He is most the time when i hold him he turns bright green, so at first i thought he was just playing dead? But then the third day of him not eating i started getting worried. I know they say “don’t worry if your NEW chameleon isn’t eating” but they are supposed to eat about 14-17 crickets a day. He was eating 0-1 cricket. and like i said over two weeks i’ve had him. Please if anyone knows what’s going on respond..I’m taking him to the reptile store tomorrow to see what i should do. I also think i need a new light? because i have a 5.0? i do not now i’m thinking he is to cold? but i’m not a vet or some genius that knows what to do...
Thank you for reading this !

Well lets make you "some genius"

I assume that since it turns green its a veiled chameleon.

So lets start with its cage:
gets to 75-80f during the day?
Has a long UVB light, and what percentage?
Has calcium powder?
Has vitamin powder with D3?

Thats the bare min needed for a health cham. As for what you should expect, the little guy should be doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks. So dont go my crickets per day or something. They go through growth spurts, so it might be a cricket or 2 a day for a week, then boom a dozen for a day or 3, then back to a few a day.

Well lets make you "some genius"

I assume that since it turns green its a veiled chameleon.

So lets start with its cage:
gets to 75-80f during the day?
Has a long UVB light, and what percentage?
Has calcium powder?
Has vitamin powder with D3?

Thats the bare min needed for a health cham. As for what you should expect, the little guy should be doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks. So dont go my crickets per day or something. They go through growth spurts, so it might be a cricket or 2 a day for a week, then boom a dozen for a day or 3, then back to a few a day.
Hi! thank you so much for responding. I am using a long 5.0 UVB w/ 13 watt tropical ( I don't know if that info was needed or not but I put it in)
honestly I am not sure about the temp, I should probably figure that out. He has calcium powder we haven't put it on his food because he just wouldn't eat. We tried force feeding him but no luck.. (not to hard or anything I was very gentle I used colored greens) I haven't been told to give him vitamin powder with D3. That is new. But also its very scary because I know he needs calcium but he won't eat he hasn't drank any water that I know of. We tried making the calcium pasty and dabbed it on his mouth a small bit so if he opened his mouth he would get some but it didn't work. Then we tried putting it on colored greens still no luck.

Hi! thank you so much for responding. I am using a long 5.0 UVB w/ 13 watt tropical ( I don't know if that info was needed or not but I put it in)
honestly I am not sure about the temp, I should probably figure that out. He has calcium powder we haven't put it on his food because he just wouldn't eat. We tried force feeding him but no luck.. (not to hard or anything I was very gentle I used colored greens) I haven't been told to give him vitamin powder with D3. That is new. But also its very scary because I know he needs calcium but he won't eat he hasn't drank any water that I know of. We tried making the calcium pasty and dabbed it on his mouth a small bit so if he opened his mouth he would get some but it didn't work. Then we tried putting it on colored greens still no luck.

He should not be fed any greens till his is an adult. Then you can put a collard green on a chip clip so he can nah on it for fun, but veileds dont "need" greens, they just have a habit for them.

You can try a few different "flavors" of calcium. I know sticky tongue farms is "berry" flavored.

But like i said your mins are:
UVB light
calcium powder every feeding
vitamin with D3 twice a month

now if you want to make it super simple, you can use this every feeding, till he is an adult:
https://www.store.repashy.com/calcium-plus-lod-6-oz-jar.html

That is an "all-in-one" but it is only for growing chameleons. It has too much D3 to be used every feeding for adults.

He should not be fed any greens till his is an adult. Then you can put a collard green on a chip clip so he can nah on it for fun, but veileds dont "need" greens, they just have a habit for them.

You can try a few different "flavors" of calcium. I know sticky tongue farms is "berry" flavored.

But like i said your mins are:
UVB light
calcium powder every feeding
vitamin with D3 twice a month

now if you want to make it super simple, you can use this every feeding, till he is an adult:
https://www.store.repashy.com/calcium-plus-lod-6-oz-jar.html

That is an "all-in-one" but it is only for growing chameleons. It has too much D3 to be used every feeding for adults.
This is great to know. Thank you

Hi and welcome! :) Can you post some pics of your chameleon and entire enclosure, lights to floor please? Also, if you could answer the following questions it would be a huge help. If your little guy is really that young, it was irresponsible of the breeder to sell him. That young they are very fragile and shouldn’t be sent to their homes until 3-4 months old. Also, that young he’ll need tiny feeders like fruit flies and pinhead crickets.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome! :) Can you post some pics of your chameleon and entire enclosure, lights to floor please? Also, if you could answer the following questions it would be a huge help. If your little guy is really that young, it was irresponsible of the breeder to sell him. That young they are very fragile and shouldn’t be sent to their homes until 3-4 months old. Also, that young he’ll need tiny feeders like fruit flies and pinhead crickets.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

-He is MALE VEILED CHAMELEON he is a MONTH and a Half. He has been in my care for about I think today marks 3 weeks.
-Not very often, unless I believe it is needed. Like making his mouth moist or making sure he is able to hold himself up and move
-Small crickets. The man that helped me at the reptile store said to. They are pretty big crickets so knowing now that you have to feed them fruit flies and a certain kind of cricket is making me sick to my stomach because I trusted this guy to tell me how to take care of my chameleon and help me. But he didn't. I try and put 4 in at a time because like I said they are pretty big and don't want them eating my chameleon. I put them in a cup tilted so he can get in its to the point now tho I only put in 1-2 and then put him in the cup because he just won't eat. I understand he is a hunter and they like to hunt their food but he is small and hasn't eaten.
-we have tried giving him zoomed I believe is the name
- I mist quite a bit because I feel he is also dehigrated. I have never seen him drink.
- Cage is a screen Nano Breeze 10''x10''x12''
- lighting: my 24 hour light is Moonlite reptile bulb which is 40 w and ZooMed. My other light that is 12 hours a day the long one Is a 5.0 UVB 13 watt tropical also a zoomed
I am not sure what the temp is I was never really told anything to make sure its at a certain temp till now.
I am using fake plants
his cage is on my dresser I realize now under an air vent I mean I have known its there I just didn't even think about that . I believe it is closed I never leave it open but I am not sure. I have a fan but not near him its always on my floor facing my bed.
-Located in California.
He used to love climbing around but now he just lays on the floor.

Attachments

• tempImagedPm2Qa.png
    tempImagedPm2Qa.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • tempImage3TMPkF.png
    tempImage3TMPkF.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 100
  • tempImagelTwiFU.png
    tempImagelTwiFU.png
    3 MB · Views: 110
Well the cham is very underweight. And the UVB light is wrong, you need a long light. Im sorry to say im not sure if the chameleon will make it. First think is to get him hydrated and eating, even if he will not eat the dusted crickets. You can feed the crickets powdered greens a few hours before you feed them to the chameleon, as a way to get some powder in him. I think hes too small to force feed. Some will eat peach baby food from a syringe with some powder mixed in.

LF-71_ReptiSun_T5_HO_Terrarium_Hood.jpg

Putting my replies in red. Poor little guy really doesn’t look good at all and I’m afraid there is a chance he isn’t going to make it thru. :( If he has any chance, you’ll need to get fruit flies or pinhead crickets and hopefully he’ll eat. Also, please remove the wood bark. As long as it would stay dry, you could put him on a few squares of folded paper towel. I’m giving you all the husbandry corrections, but right now you need to get him the right light, supplements and some food.
-He is MALE VEILED CHAMELEON he is a MONTH and a Half. He has been in my care for about I think today marks 3 weeks.
-Not very often, unless I believe it is needed. Like making his mouth moist or making sure he is able to hold himself up and move
-Small crickets. The man that helped me at the reptile store said to. They are pretty big crickets so knowing now that you have to feed them fruit flies and a certain kind of cricket is making me sick to my stomach because I trusted this guy to tell me how to take care of my chameleon and help me. But he didn't. It’s a sad truth that many who work in pet stores have no idea about the proper care of many of the reptiles they sell and often things like this happen. The rule of feeder size for chameleons is they need to be smaller than the space between the eyes. Your little one hasn’t been able to easily manage the crickets as they are most likely too big. Such a young one should be eating tiny feeders and as many of them as he can eat in about 15 minutes, twice daily. I try and put 4 in at a time because like I said they are pretty big and don't want them eating my chameleon. I put them in a cup tilted so he can get in its to the point now tho I only put in 1-2 and then put him in the cup because he just won't eat. I understand he is a hunter and they like to hunt their food but he is small and hasn't eaten.
-we have tried giving him zoomed I believe is the name You should be using calcium without D3 daily. Once every other week you’d use a calcium with D3, same with a multivitamin but alternating their use every week.
- I mist quite a bit because I feel he is also dehigrated. I have never seen him drink. Many chameleons are secretive about drinking, however at this point he is most likely dehydrated.
- Cage is a screen Nano Breeze 10''x10''x12'' This is way way too small and your little guy will outgrow it in a week or two. For adults the minimum size is 24x24x48” or equivalent and many use this for their babies, either blocking half of it off or as is.
- lighting: my 24 hour light is Moonlite reptile bulb which is 40 w and ZooMed. My other light that is 12 hours a day the long one Is a 5.0 UVB 13 watt tropical also a zoomed @nightanole has already advised you of this. No lights on at night.
I am not sure what the temp is I was never really told anything to make sure its at a certain temp till now. For babies basking temps need to be no higher than 80. A drop at night is fine and preferred. No heat needed at night unless your temps get below 60.
I am using fake plants Real is always best
his cage is on my dresser I realize now under an air vent I mean I have known its there I just didn't even think about that . I believe it is closed I never leave it open but I am not sure. I have a fan but not near him its always on my floor facing my bed.
-Located in California.
He used to love climbing around but now he just lays on the floor.
I’m really hoping the little guy will pull thru but it may already be too late. If he doesn’t make it, I want you to know that it is not your fault. You trusted and believed the pet store as knowing about the animals they sell. This little guy should never have been for sale at such a very young age. They are much too fragile and sometimes, even with perfect husbandry they can pass away for unknown reasons.

Well the cham is very underweight. And the UVB light is wrong, you need a long light. Im sorry to say im not sure if the chameleon will make it. First think is to get him hydrated and eating, even if he will not eat the dusted crickets. You can feed the crickets powdered greens a few hours before you feed them to the chameleon, as a way to get some powder in him. I think hes too small to force feed. Some will eat peach baby food from a syringe with some powder mixed in.

View attachment 284022

So disappointing my mom was making it very clear that I can not lose him to the man. I rescued a female while she was pregnant and she didn't make it through pregnancy. It wasn't my fault but it felt like it was and it hurt me a lot. So I waited and decided I would like to give my heart to another chameleon. This breaks my heart knowing the person I trusted to help me give him the home he needs messed up big time. I know I could have done research but it never seemed like big deal till now. Thank you all for the support and the help.

Putting my replies in red. Poor little guy really doesn’t look good at all and I’m afraid there is a chance he isn’t going to make it thru. :( If he has any chance, you’ll need to get fruit flies or pinhead crickets and hopefully he’ll eat. Also, please remove the wood bark. As long as it would stay dry, you could put him on a few squares of folded paper towel. I’m giving you all the husbandry corrections, but right now you need to get him the right light, supplements and some food.

We are taking him in very soon hopefully they will either take him in and maybe nourish him back to health but I doubt it. This breaks my heart completely. I would like to do whatever I can to help him on my end. Is there a way you can give me a complete list of things he absolutely needs? Besides the light and the cage? What else should I get?

We are taking him in very soon hopefully they will either take him in and maybe nourish him back to health but I doubt it. This breaks my heart completely. I would like to do whatever I can to help him on my end. Is there a way you can give me a complete list of things he absolutely needs? Besides the light and the cage? What else should I get?
This is a great resource that should help guide you. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/. Right now the light, supplements and tiny feeders are all that I know that can be done. I doubt the pet store will be able to do much for him. You’d be much better to take him to a vet and see if they can help the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom