Help dark chameleon, any vets or breeders help

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Pardalis, male of 13 months, in my care from 12 weeks ( bought from a reputable breeder )

Handling - Handling once to twice a week

Feeding - Locusts, silks, BB flys, crickets, the odd wax worm, Feed every other day a 3 to 5 prey items, Gut loading with recipes of the blog and various greens and fruit and grass for the locusts, dino fuel for crickets.

Supplements - Plain calcium every other feed, d3 and vits twice a month.

Watering - Mistking 4 times a day morning evening and twice during the day, morning misting is the longest 5 mins then they reduce over the course ov the day. Yes I see him drink, water temp is 82 in res

Fecal Description - Tested for parasites come back clear 4 weeks ago, poo is normal bright white with brown to black medium to hard poop.

History - Always been dark from the moment I got him home. I think I over feed him and with that over supped him too, he is in a room with 4 other males and 3 females all out ov each others sight.

Cage Info:
Cage - screen mesh repti breeze 4 foot tall 2 deep and wide.

Lighting - Arcadia t5 6 %, 8am to 8 pm, basking bulb is normal screw fit 60watt with dome t5 light new 2 months ago

Temperature - cage floor 73-74 basking temp is 85-90 Lowest overnight temp is 62' infra red gun, exo terra and Lucky reptile thermometers

Humidity - maintains around 50% spikes up to 80%

Plants - Live and fake. Live - ficus Devils ivy and umbrella

Placement - In my Cham room, upstairs not next to any vents or Doors, traffic is only me a few times a day top of the cage is 5.5 foot from floor

Location - Sunderland, England uk

Current Problem -

Is always dark not very active, his grip is weaker than my other males. His tail never curls up on basking or sleeping. Upon the misting going off he inflates him self like ballon. All my other males don't act like him !. He is very lazy and looks to be carrying some weight has he not as streamline as all my other.

Pictures can be posted if need be, and I can also weight hi if need be too

Any help would be great or if any breeders or vets would be even better

Thanks for reading

Mark

Pictures of him and his enclosure would help yes.

How are you measuring your basking temps?

You could probably raise your temp to stay at around 90 and be fine.

Pictures of him and his enclosure would help yes.

How are you measuring your basking temps?

You could probably raise your temp to stay at around 90 and be fine.

Basking temps mesure by infra red gun and exo terra thermometers
His basking temp is always around 87 - 90

Mark

OK. just checking. sometimes people use analog thermos and they dont work as well.

can you post some photos of him please?

is there any chance you can get him outside for some natural sun? it can work wonders.

You said you thought you wer overfeeding/oversupplementing..
For food, if you are feeding every other day only 3-5 bugs, he isnt eating enough that i can tell you right now.

as for supplementing, what brands are you using?
are you using a multivitamin?

OK. just checking. sometimes people use analog thermos and they dont work as well.

can you post some photos of him please?

is there any chance you can get him outside for some natural sun? it can work wonders.

You said you thought you wer overfeeding/oversupplementing..
For food, if you are feeding every other day only 3-5 bugs, he isnt eating enough that i can tell you right now.

as for supplementing, what brands are you using?
are you using a multivitamin?

Unfortunately I can't get him out side at this time ov year, the weather is up and down all the time.
I feed him as of last month as much as he could eat every day often 3 - 5 crix an adult locust silks and others. Now only every other day 3 to 5 large feeders. His belly looks sagging and not streamlined compared to my others.
His weight is 190.12 grams if that helps
Am just wondering if he has been subjected to too much uv with over feeding and supplemented as he is very lazy and remains under the uv or basking light all the time and rarely went to the cooler or shadier parts of his enclosure.

His enclosure
y5y3agy7.jpg

Fubar
pugy2a9u.jpg

When he sees a male or female he fires up nice but upon him being in his cage he always dark and restless and rests his head all the time.

Ave also tried him in a different cage too.

Thanks again Mark

hi mark,

i’m not seeing anything screaming at me regarding improper husbandry nor do i see a photo of a male panther who looks like he’s in terrible shape.

assuming all of your chams are getting pretty much the same husbandry and you feel that he is the only one who may be doing poorly to some degree, then his issue (if he has one) may be more internal, meaning something going on with him specifically that he was born with or may have acquired. your best bet then imo would certainly be a competent vet visit for an exam of something you may be missing or not recognizing, and some baseline bloodwork. if an abnormality is found, then you have identified the issue and hopefully can fix it. if everything comes back normal, then it just may be his personality and you have some more peace of mind.

other than that all you can do is continue to observe and see what develops, if anything.

o-

Thanks for replying Dr O
I will get some bloods done shortly and let you know the outcome.

I thought he he might have been subject to to much uv as he was in the rays almost constantly all his life and there was not much of a place ov shade for him. Or even a touch of gout. He always seemed to be very close to the t5 lighting, the perch was very close to the light and he sat there most of his life . I don't think I had a photo gradient until a few days ago upon moving the uv and basking light.

Can you get over exposure to uv ?
If so how will adding d3 affect him as he will be synthesising d3 any ways due to over exposure ?
And what sups are need if over exposure ?
I the Wild do panthers constantly get battered with uv ?

Or like you say he might just be his resting colours and his personality. And the fact he been like this from day one and I also have his brother and he is half his size and normal active nice colouring Cham. Every one is different

Thanks again

Mark

Can you get over exposure to uv ?
If so how will adding d3 affect him as he will be synthesising d3 any ways due to over exposure ?

No. UVB absorbed through the skin has a feedback system that won’t allow overexposure. excellent and commonly referenced article here:http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm. oral intake is completely different, but at 2x/month supplementation the likelihood of an overdose on that schedule is exceedingly small.

the only “overexposure” is if the UV levels are so high that their eyes can become damaged, but that doesn’t seem to be your situation at all.

Back
Top Bottom