Zillas not eating

Putting my feedback in red.
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, im pretty sure shes a female, petco didnt tell me how old she is but ive had her for 2 weeks I’m not the greatest at figuring out age, but I’d guess maybe 4-5 months old.
  • Handling - i take her out everyday she always comes with no hesitation
  • feeding- i feed her crickets but ive recently got the bigger ones so i give her like maybe 4-6 a day but she hasnt been eating. i prepare the crickets with calcium before tho. If the crickets are too big, she may not want to or be able to eat them. Rule for feeders is anything larger than the space between their eyes is too big. Are you gutloading the crickets? It’s important to gutload well in order to pass nutrients on to your cham. Attaching gutload sheet. You already have been given feeder sheet. Variety is best. She should probably be having at least 6-8 feeders daily, depending on if she’s as young as I think.
  • Supplements - i use the repashy calcium Which one? Supplements are super important and I need to know which you have and are using.
  • Watering - i have the little dripper and i let it drip 5-10 min twice a day and i mist the fake plants too You should be misting for at least 2 minutes twice daily...early AM and right before lights out...along with using the dripper at least for 15 minutes mid day.
  • Fecal Description - it seems pretty normal to me i can provide a picture I always suggest getting a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass cage i think its like 16x16 This is much too small. Also, being in Florida the humidity is high. You’ll need to get a minimum enclosure of 2x2x4’ and I suggest it be all screen.
  • Lighting - not sure it came in the cage kit but she gets 12 hours of light From your pics, your uvb is not correct and not able to provide adequate uvb levels. You need a linear T5 ho fixture with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Uvb and basking lights should be at least 8-9” from basking area.
  • Temperature - need a thermostat Yes, you do. If it’s too cool, she won’t be able to digest her food properly and her metabolism will slow. If too high, she could be burning up. Ideal temp for her is 80-82* at basking spot. A larger enclosure will provide different gradients she can go to if she wants to cool off.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Hygrometers measure humidity and this is just as important as knowing your temperatures. High humidity combined with high heat increases chances of respiratory infections. Ideal humidity during the day is between 30-50%, which is much dryer than we tend to think.
  • Plants - idk what live plants to put in Easiest plants are pothos and philodendron. They grow fast, have long vines to spread around and provide additional cham roads, big leaves to drink from and hide in, no special lights needed and since veileds nibble their plants, it’s safe for her. Dracaena is very nice, as is Schefflera, but they may need some grow lights.
  • Placement - my cage is on my desk which is the high place in my room.
  • Location - florida

• View attachment 277385
thank you so much im trying to her a better enclosure but my family doesn’t have the money right now

thank you so much im trying to her a better enclosure but my family doesn’t have the money right now
I’m not going to hate at all. Chameleons are expensive pets, she needs the correct care to thrive. She’s probably very stressed right now. If you don’t have the money I would look into finding her a new home. Without the proper care other members have provided she will become sick and need a vet. Think about this very hard. In total many keepers spend 500+ on setting up proper enclosure. She is a veiled and they like to snack on their plants so be careful with the fake plants you have.

Back
Top Bottom