Ziggy's sex?

zigggy

Hey I'm just wondering if Ziggy is male or female, there are no spurs on the back feet but theres a small budge under the tail? Anyways I know Ziggy is stressed in this photo sometimes Ziggy turns like this for only a few seconds when I am trying to get him/her back into the enclosure but 99% of the time Ziggy shows off a bright green colour :) thanks!
IMG_8869-1.JPG

Hi there and welcome. Looks like you are using a tank. Might want to fill out this form and add pics of entire set up to ensure the husbandry is on point so there are no future issues.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, age and sex not quite sure, had for almost 2 weeks.
  • Handling - Handle once every 2 days on average.
  • Feeding - For now small crickets are being fed they are being gut loaded with a calcium block and I feed in morning and evening pretty much how ever much Ziggy can eat in a 15 min time frame, I tried 1 meal worm today but Ziggy wasn't interested and I know theyre not the best feed.
  • Supplements - So far Ive dusted crickets once with a ZooMed D3 calcium, Im looking to order calcium without D3 because its not available at any store near me.
  • Watering - I mist the enclosure 2-3x daily for about 2 minutes, I have not witnessed Ziggy drink myself yet.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal matter once a day, white and brown seems consistent every time, not been tested for parasites.
  • History - No information known.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - For now its a glass enclosure with a mesh top measuring 8x8x18, I will transfer into a larger mesh enclosure once Ziggy grows I was worried about chameleon falls etc from prior readings.
  • Lighting - I have a mini combo ZooMed dual dome with a 50w basking lamp and 5.0 UVB standing approx. 5.5 inches above the enclosure. (The first 6 days Ziggy had no UVB lighting because nobody told me about it) but I got one ASAP.
  • Temperature - Temp is measured with a thermometer inside enclosure underneath lamps, typically 86-88 F
  • Humidity - Unsure of Humidity levels
  • Plants - Artificial plants, ficus and another vine mounted
  • Placement - Enclosure is located on my dresser near a window measuring approx 30 inches above ground
  • Location - Located in Toronto
Current Problem - Sex of veiled chameleon, and anything else that may be of concern!

Ziggy is female... You will want to read through the resources here https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
and this one https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Also start reading up on lay bins as she will still produce eggs even if not mated.

You need to upgrade the enclosure asap to a 2x2x4 screen cage. Do not worry about falls as these only happen if the husbandry is off. They are arboreal and need to be able to climb.
Lighting needs to be upgraded asap. Compact uvb bulbs are not optimal and will not produce the UVI levels needed for a Cham. You will want to switch to a T5 or T8 fixture with a linear uvb bulb 5.0 if you will plants out the cage with lots of live plants if not get a 10.0. Your temps are too warm see the care sheet link.
You need to be able to monitor humidity levels. See the care sheet for the levels they need. Must be misted for a minimum of 2 minutes 3 times a day to give time to drink and clean their eyes. An auto mister like the mistking would be wonderful to include when you buy the new cage. You can add a little dripper to give constant water dripping on leaves for her.
See gutloading... you need fresh veg as per the care sheet and resource links. Not a calcium block.
Supplements calcium with D3 is every 2 weeks, Vitamins every two weeks, and Calcium without D3 every feed. Lightly dusted on feeders.

These are the things I see of immediate concern. :) When they get sick they go down hill quickly so I would not wait in making adjustments. Look at the links I gave you and use the search function for other questions. You will find a lot of valuable info. And of course ask questions. :)

There is no need to worry about your chameleon falling. You should be worried about the tiny fishtank shes in, i would look to upgrade that asap. You also need to get a calcium only dust and dust the feeders with it every feeding, a multivitamin is also needed. Multivitamin and calcium with d3 should each be used twice a month. Id also strongly recomend switcing out that compact uvb for a t5 or t8 (strip) light.

Back
Top Bottom