Would this small animal cage work for Chameleon

Porter

I have been looking at getting another chameleon and as I have been looking at cage options and buy vs build, I can across this cage for hamsters. It actually seems like it would work if I took out the ladders and hiding house. This cage even has a plastic drip tray under the cage for easy cleaning.

1649793862145.png
1649793888467.png

What do you think? Would I also need to replace the screen with smaller hole version that is in most Chameleon cages. That wouldn't be too much trouble I assume.

FYI, I have the cat house from this company and we added a coat of Polyurethane and we have kept it outside for years, so I think the wood could be made to handle the humidity.

what are your ambient humidity levels in the house? This is where it makes a difference with cages that are not the norm or a hybrid. While they can be converted you may spend more trying to make something work. What are the dimensions of this enclosure?

Thank you @redhorse for the dimensions.

So the depth on this one would be an issue.

I honestly think the cage you buy should depend on your budget and your environment. If you have very low humidity you will have the same issues with a screen cage. You still have to modify it. Zoomed are pretty low quality cages... If you have the budget for it look into dragon strand enclosures or Tamura designs enclosures. Both of these have better options such as ways to mount plants and branches, drainage, and hybrid for lower humidity environments.

I live in coastal San Diego, so we have an average humidity year round of 60%ish so I don't think it will be an issue getting his cage up to the right humidity with a mister and plants in an all screen cage.

But I will probably just go with the Zoo Med for now, then if I want to build something bigger I can do it over time. When I had my veiled I always wanted to build a big cage but never did.

I ended up ordering the 24x24x48 from DIYCages.com. It seemed like the safe bet, then I will get dragon ledges added too. I am considering doing a bioactive bottom since I don't have the chameleon yet so that can get settled weeks before I add an animal. Still researching the best way to do that though. I might build a box to install below the screen cage and just remove the bottom of the cage and set it on a deep custom planter box.

I live in coastal San Diego, so we have an average humidity year round of 60%ish so I don't think it will be an issue getting his cage up to the right humidity with a mister and plants in an all screen cage.

But I will probably just go with the Zoo Med for now, then if I want to build something bigger I can do it over time. When I had my veiled I always wanted to build a big cage but never did.
I am also in San Diego and have modified a zoo med with great success. I have a mist King and lots of live plants and have one of the sides lined with clear PVC and the back is a custom foam back for plants these two sides work fairly well to retain spray and help keep some humidity. It's another story if your keeping the enclosure outdoors.

As for maintaining humidity in San Diego it's doable with screen cage but It has been an issue if / when my room mates run a/c or heat but still manageable.

I can't recommend strongly enough live plants and using real branches also natural items vs the fake rubberized vines

Cages less than 24 inches wide / depth are deal breakers it's just too cramped after you add branches and plants.

Back
Top Bottom