Would this help?

Slofe

I'm trying to handle my chameleon for the first time since I got him about 8 weeks ago. I don't wanna do this regularly but as you all know you need to handle them eventually for health checks, viv cleaning etc. Was wondering whether leaving a green gardening glove in his cage would help him get used to it so that when I put it on he'll be used to it already? what do ya reckon? I've tried other methods but he won't even come near me and if I put my hand near him he just walks away pretty quickly.

I doubt the glove in the cage will help. When a chameleon sees something coming to it, it will run away - even if its used to the object. You will just need to pick him up by hand, sorry i also dont handle mine. I like to enjoy them by watching not touching:D

Can't be much help I'm afraid - Lily was already 6 months when I got her and was used to being handled. In fact, I sometimes have the opposite problem! She loves being out so much that I have trouble getting her back in again!:D

Chameleons are all different though - he may get used to you eventually. Does he hand feed at all? You could try bribery of the edible kind!

Does he hand feed at all? You could try bribery of the edible kind!

See this is what I find strange, he has absolutely no problem hand feeding and he did it straight away without any difficulty. He even comes right up to my hand but if I go that much closer he moves away as fast as he can. I put my hand underneath him and lifted like in the videos posted on here but he just kind of struggled off my hand and ran for it :( I even tried putting a worm at the end of my forearm in the hope he'd walk onto my hand to get it but this didn't work either.

Sorry, I'm not sure what to suggest!:( Lily is my first and only chameleon so I've not had any experience with babies. I worry enough about Lily - I think I'd be a nervous wreck if I had a baby one!! :D

Just thought - you could try standing a plant next to the cage for him to explore, then he might be more willing to climb on you if he's not in his 'territory'. Other than that I don't know I'm afraid!

How old is he? Mine is "friendly" now (will climb almost too willingly onto me - or any other person), and was "trained" by bribery (very like you talked about, with holding the treat where he'd have to climb on you to get it), but I'd had him maybe half a year (so he was ~9 months old) before he was at all willing to be picked up.

His predecessor would only clamber on if I sort of shooed him onto my hand with the other hand. He didn't much care for that (and I wish I'd known then about the bribery trick) but, once he was on, he seemed to ignore me.

I doubt the glove in the cage will help. When a chameleon sees something coming to it, it will run away - even if its used to the object. You will just need to pick him up by hand, sorry i also dont handle mine. I like to enjoy them by watching not touching:D

I differ about the glove. If I go in bare handed, Ben hisses and runs very fast!! If I go in with a white glove, she doesnt seem to mind AS much..she does hiss but she doesnt run. Thats just MY experience.

Your cham may never get used to a big humongous hand coming from an even more humongous body (no offense meant)...As a cham everything coming into the cage that big is a threat.

The calming colors will help, but unless you can change the size of you hand.. well you get the idea..

OPI

How old is he? Mine is "friendly" now (will climb almost too willingly onto me - or any other person), and was "trained" by bribery (very like you talked about, with holding the treat where he'd have to climb on you to get it), but I'd had him maybe half a year (so he was ~9 months old) before he was at all willing to be picked up.

His predecessor would only clamber on if I sort of shooed him onto my hand with the other hand. He didn't much care for that (and I wish I'd known then about the bribery trick) but, once he was on, he seemed to ignore me.

Ah now this is better. Mine is coming up to 5 months old and i've had him coming on 2 months so I shall persevere with the bribery :)

be sure to wear soft colors when tryn, might help, some colors freak em out

I differ about the glove. If I go in bare handed, Ben hisses and runs very fast!! If I go in with a white glove, she doesnt seem to mind AS much..she does hiss but she doesnt run. Thats just MY experience.

I'll give it a go with a glove but he doesn't hiss so I think i'll keep trying with my bare hand.

coming from an even more humongous body (no offense meant)...
OPI

Do you know me!? :p

Back
Top Bottom