Worst, Craziest and Best day of my life

djfishygillz

Avid Member
So, I have a custom built out door chameleon cage. It is at a temporary state of being closed and opened with push pens, because (I thought) they did the trick to keep it closed into the dug fur. I also have plenty of back of pins to keep the cages closed. So this morning I go out to hand feed and pamper my chameleons as usual. As I take a gander around their cage, it comes to my knowledge that a single push pin has popped out, just enough for my two adult males to squeeze out. As any chameleon owner would do, I FREAKED OUT. Knowing that I could possibly be out a grand, and on top of that my beautiful pets that I have devoted a crazy amount of time to. So after freaking out, and realizing it was probably my friend who didn't put the pins back on right, I realize none of this will bring my chameleons back. So I begin to look around, with spidey senses tingling, I of course checked the huge tree that lies above the cage. I swear I checked up there 20 times, and I guess after checking all the surrounding areas, the 21st time is when I see one of the males. It was Mint Berry Crunch from my photo albums. With a half heart-ed sigh of relief ( because my other chameleon male is still gone) I begin to Monkey up the tree. (and just an fyi I can climb a tree reallllly freaking fast, guess being a wrestling and loving to work out my back it comes naturally). I get about 30 feet up the tree, and begin to start hanging from a single branch to grab the chameleon, the branch is thin but strong, and there is a branch below that I was somewhat able to tip toe on. But of course he crawls away. While this occurs I notice my other missing chameleon, but he is headed in the other direction. After evaluating how I could possibly grab either one, I made a decision to leap 10 feet down onto another tree so I could grab my other chameleon. Luckily he was fine, a little mad, but still fine. I shimmy down 1 handed down the tree after slicing open my big toe, place my chameleon in the cage, then make my way back up the tree to get my other chameleon( mint berry crunch the chameleon i was after first). I Coarse him with a stick to come somewhat closer, but he heads down to a smaller tree, surrounded by many other branches and trees that would be hard to get to. So I had to climb with just hands on a branch until I got to the other tree and was able to barely place my feet. I grab Mint Berry Crunch with one hand and once again have branches slapping me in the face and cutting up my bare feet (because I cant climb trees with shoes) and make my way down. I do a quick examination of them both ( they actually seemed pumped they got to be wild for a good half day or so) and I misted them and fed them, even though I am sure they got some delicious wild bugs. Then I got on here because I knew this was a story I would HAVE to share on this forum.

I am sorry this was so damn long, but hopefully someone can find some humor or something out of it.

I promise I am not a careless reptile keeper, so please take it easy on me. In the end I am sooooo happy I did not lose these two guys, my heart would have been crushed

Whew! I couldnt imagine (and dont want too!) the heart sinking, stomach wrenching feeling when you seen the cages open :(

So glad you found your boys! I've read so many of these stories without the happy ending.

Been there done that didnt have to climb as high as you though. I had a male veiled about 15 yrs ago that was a friggin escape artist. I captured him the first time and then a yr later he figured out how to get out again. Second time I wasnt as lucky. You are indeed a lucky man! Play the lotto this week bro! lol

Holy crap DJ, that is one stressful day. Good thing you have some monkey tree climbing skills. Otherwise you'd have to call the fire department about getting your chameleons out of the tree ;) I could just see the firemen rolling their eyes.
All kidding aside - thank goodness you got your chameleons back! This could have been so much worse. Lesson noted...always make sure your cages are secured.

What a crazy day you had! I couldn't imgaine trying to climb a tree 30 feet tall. I am happy that your boys are safe in their homes after their fun filled trip!

Glad you got your chams back!!. Maybe better find something better than push pins to latch the door shut! I have a pretty sturdy latch and I swear I check that thing like 5 times before I walk away. I am constantly poking my head out my patio door to get a view of the outdoor cage cause I am always paranoid somehow the door will come open. I would freak just like you did, believe me!!!

DEF GETTING SOMETHING STRONGER THAN PUSH PINS!!! lol. Im going to change some things around. Thanks for your support. and yeah I might add some pictures of them

What an adventure! Good thing that you didn't injure yourself worse than cutting your toe in the process of getting them back! Totally lucky that you did get them back too from the sounds of it.

Yeah!! I am with you, if one is out, you just do whatever it takes until they are safely home in the cages. Gook job, and far from being a bad keeper, you didn't stop until they were both safe. An accident can happen but sure don't sound like you neglect those chams.

Wrap those toes up

I LOLD at this haha... Just that mental image of a chameleon hog tied....
On another note I feel your pain.. Stanley regularly thinks of ways to escape his outdoor events... Yesterday he found his way into the spokes on a bike when he realized I couldn't get my hand inside of them... I chased him around a bike tire for 10 minutes...

(We live in an apt with the only storage being a porch for those who are like "Bike tire?")

Glad they are safe...

I'm waiting for the reanactment dramatization movie...

I can see it now, " the rescue of the fabled mint berry crunch"

Back
Top Bottom