Will my chameleon get some more color?

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
I was wondering if my chameleon will ever stay a bright color or is it only when he fires up I will see any color. Here are two picture one is what he always looks like and the other is over a month ago when he was taking a shower. Will he ever show these colors at rest when hes older, hes about 9-10 months old now.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 281
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 291
Chameleons, any species, like any other lizard, benifits by blending in to its general habitat. For this reason very bright colorful coloration is generally only seen:

A: males to attract females
B: indicating alarm or warning to predators/other lizards
C: communication for various reasons, mood, sex, fight etc

For the most part any lizard will normally exhibit coloration that best provides a general camoflage within their natural enviroment.

Aka, Desert Species= oranges yellows browns Woodland /jungle=greens of varios hues
for example.

Enviroment also plays a part ofcourse, Thermoregulation being important too.

Generally speaking, Drab coloration is the norm, A cham that looks like the shower pic all the time, will be picked off by predators in short order. All the 'Bright' fantastic colors you see in so many photos is because the lizard is excited for whatever reason, most likely because a photo like the first is nicer than one like the second. :)

Mine has continued to develop color throughout his life. As Jojackson said, you won't see the full fired-up coloration as a day-in, day-out thing, but he may very well get brighter (or differently colored) as he matures. You may also see brighter colors when he's sleeping.

When he sleeps he looks awesome, I have a nosey be who is as bright blue as it gets and my ambilobe is just green and black.

my red bar went thourgh a faze when he looked like crap but some good sun when you can seems to help also i have noticed silkies and horns seem to bring out some color aswell but this is just what i have seen in my guys and we all know what works for me may not work for you and so on but give some good old sun a try :cool:

I have noticed that if you creep up on your chameleon open your curtains or blinds and let a bit of moonlight inside that my Veiled chameleon is amazingly bright at night. It brings out a new bright pinky colour which i hardly ever see.:D

Back
Top Bottom