Why do some chams hang out on the floor?

FFSTRescue

So out of all my chameleons, I have two that often hang out on the floor of their cages (no substrate). One is an adult male Rudis and one is an adult male Fischers. I keep them outside, and the weather is ideal for both species here in Minnesota in the summertime, varies from 60-65 at night to 70-75 in the shade to 80-85 in the sun (so the Rudis has his cage in a shaded area where the sun shines through the trees at times, and the temp stays around 72). They don't seem to mind the temps, they eat like crazy, they are extremely active and healthy, fecals are fine, but I gave them a round of Reptaid (10 days) to be safe. If I sneak up on them, they are chilling on the floor of their cage, then when they see me, they climb up into their plants. It isn't husbandry, it is them. Do some chameleons just do that? It is a little disconcerting when I see my Fischers sprawled out on the floor of his cage laying on his stomach. He is also a jumper, he uses his hind legs to jump from tree to tree. He also loves to eat Hibiscus, which I didn't know Fischers did. These are two of the healthiest chameleons I have ever seen, they just hang out on the floor most of the time and I want to know if other people have chameleons that do the same thing, or if I should be concerned.

I'm curious about this as well, because my Jackson's likes hanging out only a couple inches above the ground or directly on the ground. I think he's just patrolling for worms, but he's definately there for a while every day.

I'm curious about this as well, because my Jackson's likes hanging out only a couple inches above the ground or directly on the ground. I think he's just patrolling for worms, but he's definately there for a while every day.

I think you are right about then patrolling for food, this Rudis got out (long story) and was gone for 2 weeks and I found him because he was walking on the ground circling the perimeter of the garden he was probably living in the whole time.

It could just be that I suppose? At first I thought that maybe he wanted cooler temps, so I lowered the wattage on his basking lamp, which he liked, but he still likes being on the bottom of his cage. I think he's just like yours - it's not husbandry, it's just them lol.

It's incredible that you found him after that long!

I know! Can you believe that??? I never thought I'd see him again. I am very protective of him now and won't let my nieces and nephews go anywhere near my chams (that's how he got out in the first place).
I think that, just like people, some chameleons are just oddballs.

Mine will go down to the floor as soon as they seem the feeders. They try to snatch up the food as quick as they can.

I had a wc male verrucosus who spent a lot of time lying on his side on a damp area of the cage bottom. Because of the extreme dry climate in high altitude Colorado I had a tamped down layer of Care Fresh paper pulp bedding in his cage. Of course I checked and rechecked temps, humidity, and lighting but none seemed to be the reason and he was hand fed mostly. He just seemed to like the soft damp surface. When he free roamed the house he would also lie down on his side in a sunny patch on the carpet too, and would lick water off my hand. Odd little guy. He lived to about 6 years old.

My male carpet is always hanging around the bottom of his cage waiting for his food. He loves to snarf it up then chases the escapes up the sides. At first I was worried about him being on the ground but he only does that in the morning. He spends the rest of the day up in his branches.

I had a wc male verrucosus who spent a lot of time lying on his side on a damp area of the cage bottom. Because of the extreme dry climate in high altitude Colorado I had a tamped down layer of Care Fresh paper pulp bedding in his cage. Of course I checked and rechecked temps, humidity, and lighting but none seemed to be the reason and he was hand fed mostly. He just seemed to like the soft damp surface. When he free roamed the house he would also lie down on his side in a sunny patch on the carpet too, and would lick water off my hand. Odd little guy. He lived to about 6 years old.

Lol, that is hilarious! I was worried when I walked outside and my Fischers was plopped on his stomach with his legs sprawled out resting his chin on the ground... not something you see every day, then when he saw me, he ran up the tree. Now I'm not so worried, thanks :)

veiled chameleon

my veiled chameleon is acting strange...idk if its just him and his personality or what?? but he OFTEN lays on the floor ill find him hanging holding on with either both back legs or just one upside down and then couple hours later hes on the floor......idk if he is just napping and he got tired of holding on or what? idk he is strange, also i have NEVER seen him eat on his own.....i always have to physically put the worms in his mouth and even tho he does drink from his fountain by himself he just opens his mouth waiting for me to either put the worms in or spray water and he drinks it like nothing,,,has anyone ever heard of this b4?

my veiled chameleon is acting strange...idk if its just him and his personality or what?? but he OFTEN lays on the floor ill find him hanging holding on with either both back legs or just one upside down and then couple hours later hes on the floor......idk if he is just napping and he got tired of holding on or what? idk he is strange, also i have NEVER seen him eat on his own.....i always have to physically put the worms in his mouth and even tho he does drink from his fountain by himself he just opens his mouth waiting for me to either put the worms in or spray water and he drinks it like nothing,,,has anyone ever heard of this b4?

We can't even guess without more information. Please fill out the "how to ask for help" form. A weak grip or muscle tremors (that might make him fall) could be due to Metabolic Bone Disease. Without info on your lighting, supplements, gutloading, what feeders you use and how many, and a detailed description of his setup, temps, humidity, his age, how long you've had him etc. we can't say for sure.

Fountains are not a good idea. Difficult to keep clean unless you do it every day. One dead cricket in the water contaminates it big time. If he is drinking heavily every time you offer water he may be chronically dehydrated which will damage his kidneys. Fountains don't humidify the cage much at all.

JackieAnice...you said..."he OFTEN lays on the floor ill find him hanging holding on with either both back legs or just one upside down and then couple hours later hes on the floor"...and..."i always have to physically put the worms in his mouth and even tho he does drink from his fountain by himself he just opens his mouth waiting for me to either put the worms in or spray water and he drinks it like nothing"...your chameleon is in trouble.

I would take it to a vet ASAP and in the meantime fill out the questionaire at the beginning of the health section.

Don't wait to long to do either of the above.

My male has been digging, i think he has been trying to get out of his cage and hook up with my female. He has been digging ever since i let both out to play and exercise on a limb a few days ago. He tried to mount her and I had to separate them both from there play day.

How old are they?

Do you realize if the female is sexually mature you may have put her into cycling/producing eggs by letting her see the male?

Back
Top Bottom