Which UVB light?

koolkidTerrence

I’ve had a veiled chameleon for about 6 months now (she’s 8 months) and she’s been very good, happy, not so happy, you know, regular cham stuff.

I was told that after 6 months that the UVB bulb starts to wear out. I have the compact bulb and I’ve heard from many sources that it’s terrible and to throw away. I’m getting more money in 2 weeks and the first thing I want to buy is the correct UVB bulb. But I am not sure which one it is. I was looking at the Zilla T8 and the ReptiSun T5.

You should get the T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb. The bulb on these should be replaced every 9 months. The compact bulbs are really bad and they can develop MBD with them.

I’ve had a veiled chameleon for about 6 months now (she’s 8 months) and she’s been very good, happy, not so happy, you know, regular cham stuff.

I was told that after 6 months that the UVB bulb starts to wear out. I have the compact bulb and I’ve heard from many sources that it’s terrible and to throw away. I’m getting more money in 2 weeks and the first thing I want to buy is the correct UVB bulb. But I am not sure which one it is. I was looking at the Zilla T8 and the ReptiSun T5.

Second what Beman says.

T5's are much more efficient than T8's. In order to get proper UVB for your cham, you'll want something that works efficiently and the compact fluorescent bulb your using is worse than the T8. A lot of ppl make this mistake and don't realize the CFL's are as terrible as they are.

I use a quad t5 fixture with an arcadia 12% uvb bulb. I have it raised a few inches above the cage. If I were to keep the fixture on top of the cage, I'd choose an arcadia t5 6%. I've used both strengths in both applications and both work great.

I've used a Zoo Med T5 single fixture in the past, too, and not had issues with it. Had it for almost six years now and it works fine. Others have had bad experiences with it, though. This fixture comes with a 5.0 bulb so you might save a few bucks, though I recommend not being finicky on the price of the UVB bulb and fixture. This is one of the most important parts of your husbandry so get the right one the first time.

Some members use the Odyssea t5 fixture with a t5 uvb bulb. You can get those from lightyourreptiles.com if like that one. Another one I've heard is good, but never used, is the Arcadia Pro T5, also available on the same site.

We can give more suggestions if you'd like, just let us know.

Hope this helps :)

Second what Beman says.

T5's are much more efficient than T8's. In order to get proper UVB for your cham, you'll want something that works efficiently and the compact fluorescent bulb your using is worse than the T8. A lot of ppl make this mistake and don't realize the CFL's are as terrible as they are.

I use a quad t5 fixture with an arcadia 12% uvb bulb. I have it raised a few inches above the cage. If I were to keep the fixture on top of the cage, I'd choose an arcadia t5 6%. I've used both strengths in both applications and both work great.

I've used a Zoo Med T5 single fixture in the past, too, and not had issues with it. Had it for almost six years now and it works fine. Others have had bad experiences with it, though. This fixture comes with a 5.0 bulb so you might save a few bucks, though I recommend not being finicky on the price of the UVB bulb and fixture. This is one of the most important parts of your husbandry so get the right one the first time.

Some members use the Odyssea t5 fixture with a t5 uvb bulb. You can get those from lightyourreptiles.com if like that one. Another one I've heard is good, but never used, is the Arcadia Pro T5, also available on the same site.

Do you use a solarmeter to check your levels? I have a quad as well with a 12% I have about 7 inches to the basking branch. I do not raise mine off the cage though because my UVB levels sit at 2-3. If I drop the UVB back to a 6% I barely get a 1 UVI at basking. Granted I am using a quad that has a single reflector for all 4 bulbs.

Second what Beman says.

You say that the T5 is the best fixture for my chameleon, do you know anywhere where it's cheap or any stores that sell the fixtures?

You say that the T5 is the best fixture for my chameleon, do you know anywhere where it's cheap or any stores that sell the fixtures?

I typically suggest LLLreptile.com

They’re prices are very affordable and the money goes to a good company. I’d much rather give them my money than Petco/Petsmart.

Another site I’ve ordered from that’s very inexpensive is PetMountain.com. I’ve bought and tested the UVB lights I’ve received from them with my solar meter and not found any issues. I just wonder how they sell everything at such low prices ?

Back
Top Bottom