Where to look for sow bugs

Dunnigan

Where do you find these things at :confused: I have been looking for a while now and cant seem to find any. Ill go to a park and look under large tree limbs that have fallen or under rocks but nothing. Where do these guys hide! I have not yet looked in my moms garden (she lives in palm bay which is ~ 1 hour away) would i have better luck there? Her back yard is +1 acres so im fairly sure there would almost have to be some, any pointers on where to look?

...or...

if anyone that has some extras is going to be at the repticon in orlando this weekend, let me know :)

I found some under the large plant pots in my garden - they like damp dark places. I gathered some and kept them to see if Lily would like them and she completely ignored them! I kept them in a cricket tub but don't think I misted them enough - they didn't last very long before they died off.

I don't know about Florida; in Michigan, I find them in the open bag of potting soil by the garden, under the leaves I rake up, and ambling along the shady portions of the sidewalk. Look under things outdoors, where it's cool and dark and damp.

I find sow bugs every where in my backyard, in San Fransico California. They need a moist enviroment and prefer to stay hidden under stones, tiles, rocks, logs, moss, and every other moist hididng place. I have noticed they are abundant near or on beaches under Logs ans Stones. They are very common in coastal areas and moist coastal forests.

Im surprised your having a hard time finding them in FL. Look under trash and random debris on the edges of woods and around trees. Try dry areas if your not finding anything around moist ones. Or look near the coast.

we call them rollie pollies....i find them under flower pots and in the dirt....im from pa so right now its to cold to find them.....it has to be damp.....

Where do you find these things at :confused: I have been looking for a while now and cant seem to find any. Ill go to a park and look under large tree limbs that have fallen or under rocks but nothing. Where do these guys hide! I have not yet looked in my moms garden (she lives in palm bay which is ~ 1 hour away) would i have better luck there?

They like damp warm dark areas. If you cant find them outside, you can buy online from many places. http://www.nilesbio.com/prod94.html

You do not want to feed off wild caught terrestrial isopods, as they are heavy metal bio accumulators. Breed them and feed off the captive ones instead.
how to breed them: https://www.chameleonforums.com/isopods-16457/

Back
Top Bottom