Where to buy a melleri?

chamtrainer

Avid Member
Hello all,
I am interested in buying a couple healthy CH melleri (since they are communal). I have done tons and tons of research and i do believe i can take care of them properly. I know people sell them at shows, but i was wondering if anyone over here can recommend me to a place where i could possibly purchase a 3-7 month old juvenile melleri in the U.S online? Thank you all for your time!

Hello all,
I am interested in buying a couple healthy CH melleri (since they are communal). I have done tons and tons of research and i do believe i can take care of them properly. I know people sell them at shows, but i was wondering if anyone over here can recommend me to a place where i could possibly purchase a 3-7 month old juvenile melleri in the U.S online? Thank you all for your time!

Last time I saw captive hatched in US melleri, was a few years ago. FL Chams had a fresh import lay eggs and they hatched them. And I think a forum member also had a similar experience a year later. Given the size of the clutches, it would be great if someone could figure out how to hatch them in captive conditions.

It would be absolutely awesome to be able to get a hold of one. Unfortunately it would seem wrong to just get one and not try to breed a rare type like this.

It would be absolutely awesome to be able to get a hold of one. Unfortunately it would seem wrong to just get one and not try to breed a rare type like this.

From what i have learned, sexing a melleri or even trying to mate melleri is extremely difficult. I am planning to keep them communal so hopefully if a couple are opposite gender, then they might show interest in breeding. I am not counting on it however because not very many people have success with it.

CB & CH Mellers are quite rare. Most are WC imports. It has been my experience that young (smaller) ones acclimate better/easier to captivity. I have also observed that while they may be more tolerant of each other than say, panthers and veileds, they do seem to enjoy their own space/territories. My best advice would be to be patient and wait till you can find a fresh batch that hasn't been shipped all over and passed around from dealer to dealer. I would also recommend starting out with just one, like all chams, melleri are great at hiding ailments till they are overcome by them. Acclimating one WC mellers can be a daunting task... two even more so. Just my two cents worth. Cheers!

I tried to read up on them too. The only way to sex them is to see a sperm plug (yes as gross as it sounds), holding eggs, or in the process of mating.

They seem awesome other then that, and they are huge!

Back
Top Bottom