Where do you get UV bulb Fixtures???

Argentra

Ok, I've looked and looked am at wits end here! Where do all of you get your lamps/fixtures for the UV fluorescent bulbs?? :confused:

I got a pair of 24" Repti-Glo 10.0 bulbs, new, for free from a friend and those are T8. I've looked all over but all I've found are Direct Wire fixtures! It seems they've stopped making corded fixtures for the 24" T8!

Then there's the Repti-Sun, which is a T12 as a 24". I thought it might be easier to find a fixture for that...but nope! Not a corded fixture to be found for that size!

So where do you all get your lamps?? The only sure thing I've found is an aquarium hood (BTW, those hoods measure funny and you have to go the next size up to fit the bulb - i.e. the 24" hood takes an 18" bulb and so on) at Petsmart for $43!! I would rather not spend that much.
I also found a closet fixture on Amazon for much cheaper...but ordering online makes me nervous that I would get a fixture that the bulb ends up not fitting into.

All suggestions are welcome! I can't have my new veiled male shipped over until I get everything together and set up right! :)

You are the luckiest person EVER! I hate that place!

bowrofl.gif
I've heard one too many stories about that place.

Hmm, I've been through Lowes and Home Depot many times at different stores and they don't carry 24" corded T8 fixtures anymore. In fact, they don't carry anything larger than T5 now with the cord!

And I tried WalMart - no go there as well. :( And LLL has it, but with shipping it's the same price as the Petsmart one. I was hoping to be able to spend less...but it's looking like I won't be able to do that.

Thanks for the quick replies, though. :)

This is the one I found on Amazon - $28 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000LF8Y02/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

Last edited:
I just bought a fixture in Walmart. It was $8.00 for an 18 incher....Look by the lightbulbs in the home repair section.

I saw the 18" ones... but they don't have any for 24". It's the SIZE that's been the problem. I have two 18" fixtures and two ReptiGlo 10.0 18" bulbs as well, but one is being used by my BTS. Since the cage I built is 28x28x48, I want to use a 24" bulb with him to get max coverage. I have the bulbs already, but can't seem to find a fixture anywhere. :(

Anyone have anything to say about the one on Amazon? Does it look like it might work?

If you want to pay shipping and pay me back, I could buy the fixtures here and send them to you. I got mine at Home Depot and I think they are the right ones.

It would probably be cheaper than buying them elsewhere- they were like $9....I will have to check and make sure they are correct specifications.

My home depot just redid the florescent lights aisle. They have 4' both t8 and t12 fixtures (with cord). for like $30

they also had a new 2' fixture (with cord) but I don't remeber which type.

they also had a dual 4' t12 fixture for like $12 that looks like it was on clearance but the reflector is white (doesnt't work for UVb) and not deep enough to just lay across my cages so I opted to pay more for less hassle.

and then they had the very cheap fixtures but they didn't come with cords.. they were meant to wired into your house wiring or something. those were like $9 each.

My hubby says that a handy person can take one of those that need to be wired and put a cord on it. A cord is maybe $2.00 and the fixture maybe $9.00. Pretty cheap.

wpuldn't be too bad at all I'd imagine... I just didn't want to hassle with it.. soo if you want to do that it would save you a bit of mulah

LOL never been to one of those! Nearest one to me is like 30 miles :)

i went to one of them somewhere in florida when i visited and it was the scariest place ive ever seen...and believe me ive seen some scary places!!! west oakland flats....east palo alto...that place tops em all!!! lol

:) Well, I went ahead and got the stupid $43 one from Petsmart. I know it would have been cheaper to get a direct wire and adapt it to a cord...but I don't know anyone who can do electrical work! As it is, I'm having to mail off the Ranco thermostat I got from someone on another forum to Rich at ReptileBasics because the seller neglected to tell me that the t-stat was not wired. :mad:

So anyway, I now have just about all the things I need for the new cham!! Just have to cover the frame I made with screen and all is complete. :)

Thanks for the input, all!

:) Once I get back into the swing of classes, and my BF shakes off the flu he caught, I'll be able to finally finish that cage! :rolleyes:

Once it's done, rest assured you guys will be slammed with pictures. :D

Back
Top Bottom