When to visit the vet

PistachioG

Do any of your take your chams to the vet for a well check or only when there is an issue? I was thinking just if there were concerns because travel seems so stressful to them.

I believe there are members who do . Keeping documentation on a daily basis ie feeders ,supplements anything, everything is a good way for not only you and your chameleon but also good for a vet to have a full picture of everything

I do a once a year check with x-rays, bloodwork (once old/big enough), fecal test, and general check-up. I also send in their fecals for tests every 3-6 months, as well (no chams sent with the fecals). Another good thing to keep track of is their weight, as well, along with everything @Flick boy said, too. Granted, my vet is very close, and it was easy to get my chams in and out without much stress, so it could be different for you.

I do a once a year check with x-rays, bloodwork (once old/big enough), fecal test, and general check-up. I also send in their fecals for tests every 3-6 months, as well (no chams sent with the fecals). Another good thing to keep track of is their weight, as well, along with everything @Flick boy said, too. Granted, my vet is very close, and it was easy to get my chams in and out without much stress, so it could be different for you.
Mine is sassy and doesn’t mind coming out for hand feeding but that’s it. I could tempt her into a carrier with a worm of some sort if needed. What types of things have popped up for you with the vet visits?

I believe there are members who do . Keeping documentation on a daily basis ie feeders ,supplements anything, everything is a good way for not only you and your chameleon but also good for a vet to have a full picture of everything
I keep logs and totally agree. It helps when we need someone to watch our critters too.

Mine is sassy and doesn’t mind coming out for hand feeding but that’s it. I could tempt her into a carrier with a worm of some sort if needed. What types of things have popped up for you with the vet visits?
Things only popped up when I first got my chams (vitamin deficiencies, parasites, and MBD from one cham that I took to the vet after I got him; other cham was obese with some imbalances when he came to me, too- got as an adult from a breeder) and as they aged (one cham had an infection only visible from the bloodwork). As you gain experience, you start to know what’s normal and what isn’t, but I’m also paranoid about it and like to have peace of mind.

I did when I first got Eustis because I would catch him gaping once in awhile. I made an apt just to be sure he was okay. It was a real hassle getting him into a travel box and then he was very skittish after that but it was worth it to know he was ok.

Things only popped up when I first got my chams (vitamin deficiencies, parasites, and MBD from one cham that I took to the vet after I got him; other cham was obese with some imbalances when he came to me, too- got as an adult from a breeder) and as they aged (one cham had an infection only visible from the bloodwork). As you gain experience, you start to know what’s normal and what isn’t, but I’m also paranoid about it and like to have peace of mind.
Wow a lot came up! I can understand wanting the peace of mind and no news is good news not wasted money IMO.

Back
Top Bottom