When to switch to bigger cage

PicassothePanther

Is it ever too early to switch to a bigger cage if I have a feeding cup?

Isn't the only downsize to having a big cage for a 4 month old chameleon that he wont be able to find his food (hes already eating out of the feeding cup)

Can I switch from the 20" high now and put him in a 48" high with a mistking and a bunch more plants?

I have been having humidity issues and this would really help him!

I would section it off or something. If he can find the food then he will probably be okay.

Finding the food is the only issue to ever switching to large cages, right?

He is 3.5 months old and he ate 40 crickets on Wednesday. WEDNESDAY. 1 DAY.
LOL

fat sh*t

You shouldn't be feeding that much. He should get a max of 12 crickets a day, they don't know when to stop. Plus, the more they eat the faster they grow. The faster they grow the more likely they are to have bone problems.

I just ordered 1000 crickets for 19 bucks from LLLReptile, because he ate 200 crickets this week already - since Sunday (well about 50 died)

So I put a few waxworms in the feeding bowl - and he wont TOUCH them. It has been 2 days now and he has no interest.

Hmm.. what to feed him until I get my crickets?...

As super young babies, yes. Past three months only feed about 12 appropriately sized crickets or the equivalent to. A slow grown chameleon seems to be healtheir and live longer as an adult according to more experienced people.

EDIT: wax worms are fatty and should only be used a few times a month. Go buy some crickets. This is why I like my roaches! I always have food to feed :)

Last edited:
Finding the food is the only issue to ever switching to large cages, right?

Wrong.
It is much more difficult to monitor a young animal in that space, control temps, etc.
Wait a few months. If there are humidity issues that live plants would help with (and they will) you could place large plants around the enclosure.
I am not a fan of "sectioning off" a cage.
He could live quite happily in his current cage till he is almost a year old.

I also agree with controlling the food. If he is eating 40 ... perhaps he could graduate to a larger cricket.
12 a day is not a bad # to shoot for.

-Brad

Are you using a 5.0 linear tube?
If so I would dust with calcium WITHOUT D3 5 times a week and with D3 once a week until he is a year old, then cut the D3 back to twice a month.

-Brad

i am so indecisive... i have the budget and creativity for both.. but i do feel like the 18x18x36 is more suitable for my room.

18x18x36 would be fine.
A lot of people will tell you that 24x24x48 is a must for an adult male panther.
There is nothing wrong with a larger enclosure for him ... but (in my opinion) there is nothing wrong with the 18x18x36 either.

-Brad

Thanks, Brad. What is the plant in the ceramic pot in your cage? I just went on your website and was wondering..

I like your cage - how big is it? I am interested in having a cage like that, and I do have the space for it ...

Back
Top Bottom