Whats the AVERAGE humidity suposed to be?

Most chameleons ideal humidity range is between 50-75%. This is based off of figures from their actual enviroments. 55% going into winter is not bad at all. I personally would say 40-60% humidity in a "dry" cage is good for a veiled.

100% humidity? If that is an accurate reading I would think that a URI is a real risk or skin problems. In the area I live seeing 100% humidity outdoors on a summer day is not uncommon at all. On the other hand the outdoors is filled with massive amounts of fresh moving air. Most indoor cages could never compare in this manner. I personally would recommend getting it down in a more acceptable range.

I second Jordan's post.
100% is a bit unhealthy..
Even human can develop respiration infection in such condition..

Strangest thing is i found that the optimal humidity requirement for human will be perfect for a veiled chameleon..
we thrive in an environment with a bit more or less 50% humidity.
I think veiled is also the same..
Probably it can go a little bit more humid..
But 55% is acceptable.

Many calyptratus can live with 55% humidity but are they THRIVING under that condition?

Anyways, I'm working with montane chameleons, not calyptratus, so mimicking their "natural, actual" environment is of utmost priority for me and 55% ain't it. No skin problems, no URI here. Airflow is also key... but that's another story for another time.

Cheers!
t

Back
Top Bottom