What tree?

prettykttkat

Established Member
Hey everybody, I have a question, what is a good tree for a huge cham? I bought a 4 ft bushy ficus tree(the kind with the braided trunks) for my cham but because he is so big and heavy he destroyed it. The branches are all broken and bent down from his weight and all the leaves fell off. He weighs almost 500 grams and is a little over 2 ft long. Any safe trees that have really thick branches that are also hardy? Or should I just forget trying to have a tree and get some really thick vines and fake foliage?

So you are from Colorado so try to go around your neighbor hood and get some branches from crab apple trees. Bake them at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Bam there ya go some hardy braches for your cham

So you are from Colorado so try to go around your neighbor hood and get some branches from crab apple trees. Bake them at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Bam there ya go some hardy braches for your cham

Ha Ha I can see it right now, me getting arrested for stealing branches off somebody's tree! LOL! Seriously though, I'll try looking around for some:) I know Ft Carson has a bunch of fallen thick branches by the fishing ponds.

Hibiscus gets thick enough you think?

If it's big enough it should. But You would have to have either a huge cage or just leave it out and let him free range it. But to my knowledge they get pretty big.

pink-hibiscus-tree.JPG

Wow I never saw a hibiscus that big! I always see just the little ones in the pots at Lowes. It looks like it might work if I find a big one and prune it. The bamboo looks good for him when he climbs up but all the branches he would use to crawl across are too tiny. That's the problem I had with the ficus. The trunk was thick but all the branches were skinny. I wonder if I got a small hibiscus and grew it up to the right size how long it would take? Do they grow fast or slow?

They need a LOT of light to grow. You gotta grab a plant light if it's in a cage and hang it above it. You can also use mulberry trees :) A nice small one.

Cool, I'll have to check the nursery and see what I can find. No prob adding an extra light for plants.

That hibiscus tree is really pretty, btw, I'd love to find one like it:)

Back
Top Bottom