What to do after eggs are laid?

Her laying bin has been available since 1 week after we got her when we put her in her new cage! She didnt use it though... chose the potted plant instead!LOL
Nothing different lately.
She was about 9 months when the previous owner got her, he had her for 9 months and she didnt lay in that time.
We have had her for almost 8 months and she has shown no signs until last Wed. when she started pacing her cage.
Havent changed her food, her cage, her plants, her lighting, nothing.
Could the onset of shorter days have done it? She is by a window but not enough for draft or to really see outside but still.....?
We moved her cage almost 3 months ago to its new spot but she seems happy and content with it being there.

Just wanted to post an update!
Karma is a lot better this morning!
She spent most of yesterday on her basking branch, resting, napping and looking tired.
She didnt eat for me, but I did see her drink water from the dripper and I misted her several times.
Her color was still dark.
She was perking up by last night, eyes were a lot more alert. She had turned around and was holding herself up on the branch talking to her Dad.
This morning, color is lots better. Her eyes are alert and watching everything.
She is still resting but more like basking resting, not exhausted resting.
I think we are the recovery from laying those 60 eggs!

And I think that what I thought was bruising around her eyes, may have been slight bruising(because both eyes had it, but now only one seems to still have it) BUT.... the one eye that still has it... I think is dirt!LOL
Her chin is dirty, her nose seems a little dirty and now I am wondering if the one eye that still looks bruised is just dirt from being face down in the potted plant digging.

I will give her another day or so to recover and then I will try to wipe her face a bit with a soft cloth.

I'd let her rest and recover for today then i'd put her in the shower on a plant and let her have a nice long warm(not hot) shower. She can drink and rinse her eyes and get any debris out of her turrets if she got any in there while digging.

If you have any hornworms on hand I'd give her a few of those as they help with getting chams rehydrated. Sounds good, glad she's getting her strength back.

Really your lucky she hasnt laid before now. Some have had luck keeping veileds from producing eggs but most times they eventually will produce a clutch even with diligent keepers. ;)

Thanks!
After all we had read we thought it was odd that she hadnt laid before with previous owner but he was an idiot... not even sure he knew they laid eggs, we have readied her cage for it since a week after we had her and then nothing.
We will do the shower thing. She hates it, but she needs to clean off so its either the shower OR I do it. Pretty sure the shower is the lesser of 2 evils!

Yeah they usually puff up and bluff at first but all of mine eventually calm down and usually just sit and drink and drink. Just make sure its luke warm and I'd let her sit in there for at least 20 mins. She needs to get that dirt out of her eyes and thats usually the easiest way for everyone concerned.

You said..."After all we had read we thought it was odd that she hadnt laid before with previous owner"...as I said before, controlling the diet and the temperature for veiled females seems to control their reproduction to some extent....so that may be why she didn't lay eggs before...maybe he didn't feed her a lot and kept the temperatures lower than normal??

Isn't it comical how frantic we get with these little guys? I swear I didn't worry this much with my newborn like I do with my chameleon! I check in on her during the night, will sit and watch for the tiniest detail of behavior concerns... Her room is the first thing I go to when I get home every day. I figure it could also be related to the "Empty Nest" stage I'm about to go through when my son graduates. lol

You said..."After all we had read we thought it was odd that she hadnt laid before with previous owner"...as I said before, controlling the diet and the temperature for veiled females seems to control their reproduction to some extent....so that may be why she didn't lay eggs before...maybe he didn't feed her a lot and kept the temperatures lower than normal??

He fed her daily, only crickets and no dusting. And I know her temps were WAY to hot!
She had a ceramic heat lamp on 24/7, a red light at night, a coil heat lamp during the day and a coil UVB bulb when we got her. The top of her cage was melted from the heat as well as the plastic lamp housing on 2 out of the 4 lights.

I think she didnt lay for him because of neglect. No calcium, no greens, crazy hot temps, etc. etc. Heck, her cage sat on a kitchen chair in the dining room.

I think she is at it again.....

Ok, its been 3.5 months since I posted this thread and I think Karma is at it again, despite us following all advice on here. She gets fed less and we are controlling her temps, etc.
Noticed yesterday that she started wandering all over cage again.......
Last time she did this and a couple days later she dug her hole and laid eggs.
Just like last time, she doesnt seem fat or bumpy, etc. but she is exhibiting the signs.....

If you didn't have her cut down enough when she was producing the follicles, she would produce another clutch. Hopefully it will be smaller this time and continue to become more under control as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom