What Enclosure Should I buy

No problem. If you want some pics of my enclosures I'll send some pics. Just let me know.

In your downtime I highly suggest listening to the Chameleon Academy Podcast (previously the Chameleon Breeder Podcast). There's a wealth of information there that can help you learn a lot and sometimes things you didn't know you wanted to learn about. There's also chameleonacademy.com which can guide you on how to set up your enclosure properly, read up on cham behavior, et cetera. Both are run by the guy who owns Dragon Strand. He's got 40+ years in the game.
ok thank you!!! and yes if you could send pictures that would help so much:)

Foggers can be very beneficial but I think it depends on a number of factors. I am not an expert on this topic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have read that a specific type of fogger/humidifier is needed in order to provide benefit to chameleons, and some may even be harmful to chameleons (largely due to their propensity to accumulate bacteria). A well planted bioactive enclosure that is misted thoroughly before lights out should provide similar benefit (without the extra cost, work and risks) through water evaporation and transpiration through plants.

Additionally, almost all advice, tips, guidelines should be filtered and interpreted with respect to your specific setup and environment. Some guidelines which are relevant for certain species may not apply to others. Appropriate misting times vary greatly between screen and glass enclosures. 5/6% UVB tubes are most often recommended for veiled/panther chameleons but for many, 10/12% may be more ideal. etc.

This is why, if you have the time and patience, it's better try and understand the specific reasons behind why certain recommendations are given.

Foggers can be very beneficial but I think it depends on a number of factors. I am not an expert on this topic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have read that a specific type of fogger/humidifier is needed in order to provide benefit to chameleons, and some may even be harmful to chameleons (largely due to their propensity to accumulate bacteria). A well planted bioactive enclosure that is misted thoroughly before lights out should provide similar benefit (without the extra cost, work and risks) through water evaporation and transpiration through plants.

Additionally, almost all advice, tips, guidelines should be filtered and interpreted with respect to your specific setup and environment. Some guidelines which are relevant for certain species may not apply to others. Appropriate misting times vary greatly between screen and glass enclosures. 5/6% UVB tubes are most often recommended for veiled/panther chameleons but for many, 10/12% may be more ideal. etc.

This is why, if you have the time and patience, it's better try and understand the specific reasons behind why certain recommendations are given.

Good points skoram. OP had told me in a PM that she wished to get a panther chameleon if anyone is wondering. I didn't realize it wasn't mentioned on the thread I'm sorry for my negligence. This is why I suggested what I did. OP is in AZ which she disclosed publicly, but on another thread I believe. Just to get everyone up to speed here :)

I believe examples of what you're talking about as far as uv and such go is that montaine species live at higher elevation and are exposed to higher UVB, are more sensitive to supplements and don't need as much heat. Glass vs screen will change ambient temperatures and ambient humidity in the enclosure. So on and so forth. With forest floor dwelling species, things change as well.

Yes, it is good advice to understand why we use what we use, I second that. It's good to do research about where your cham comes from and the environmental conditions of the particular place. It's easier to have things set up in a particular way if you have some understanding as to why you're doing it the way you are.

As far as the fogger, I believe it is said that not cleaning enough/properly attributes to the bacterial hazards. A lot of commercial foggers are very hard to clean because the reservoir interior is inaccessible and the pipes are impossible to clean thoroughly. Members of the forums have reported a "goo" build up in these parts and the ceramic disk after some time which was believed to be bacteria. From what I read previously, fog picks up anything in the air or anything it comes into contact with. Essentially, if you have bacteria in your fog water or any water along the tubing, it will be transported when the ultrasonic disk creates the fog and disperses it into the enclosure(s). This can essentially be breathed in, though it is not a proven fact that chameleons "breathe" the fog in. There's a whole science to droplet size which suggest that fogger's water droplet size cannot be breathed in, and the contrary as well. Any fog that turns back into a standing water on a chams nostrils or mouth can be ingested which means bacteria is ingested. If the bacterial fog creates dew on plants and the chameleon drinks it, that could result in it being harmed, too. I may be butchering it. That's just my understanding.

I created a DIY fogger that's fairly easy to clean as a loophole to avoid what I outlined above. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Back
Top Bottom