What else does a veield cham need ??

So I have a veiled cham and now I'm buying the rest of his necessities. HOW OLD IS IT? MALE OR FEMALE?

So far he has:
foliage WHAT FOLIAGE? REAL? FAKE?
Live plants WHAT PLANTS?
Heat lamp WHAT HEAT LAMP?
I hand mist 2 times a day FOR HOW LONG EACH TIME?
Crickets FED WHAT?
Reptical WITH OR WITHOUT D3? YOU NEED A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER, A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER, A VITAMIN POWDER WITH A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A. USE THE CALCIUM AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE FEEDING, ALTERNATE BETWEEN THE OTHER TWO SUPPLEMENTS. DO ALL OF THEM LIGHTLY.
Superworms FED WHAT?
Mealworms MOST PEOPLE DON'T RECOMMEND USING THESE.
Now I'm currently getting his t5ho uvb WHAT BULB ARE YOU GETTING?

What else do you think he would need??
WHAT IS THE CAGE YOURE USING?
LOTS OF BRANCHES FOR HIM TO CLIMB ON.
IF ITS FEMALE...A LAY BIN IN THE CAGE.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

Yes, a T8 is totally capable of the output needed. But only with the correct bulb strength and the correct distance. A T5 lamp is stronger then a T8. So it will push the UVB farther down then a T8. The lamps do not produce D3 the lamps produce the UVI level for the cham to then internally produce D3 from the UV light conversion in their body. This is a long chain of events in the body and I do not remember all the steps it goes through. All bulbs have to be replaced. If not using a solarmeter the rule of thumb in the hobby is 6-9 months for a reptisun bulb and 12 months for an arcadia bulb.

Ok, i just remember 12 months ago when starting out i was told not to use t8 bulb with the ballest i had already and get t5 ho which i did. Arcadia t5 marketing on the box has D3+ or D3+++ depending 6 or 12%.
Also there is more reliable uvb for there service life hence my comment on the modern supplementation, being a super low dose of D3.

Ok, i just remember 12 months ago when starting out i was told not to use t8 bulb with the ballest i had already and get t5 ho which i did. Arcadia t5 marketing on the box has D3+ or D3+++ depending 6 or 12%.
Also there is more reliable uvb for there service life hence my comment on the modern supplementation, being a super low dose of D3.
Just looked at the t8s from arcadia and they also marketed with the d3+ 🤷

T5 is a better product. But is someone can not get a T5 then a T8 can absolutley work and do everything that a T5 does with the correct bulb strength and distance. The D3 that it says on the box has to do with the output... ALL UVB bulbs have a UVI output therefor have the ability to produce a UVI level for D3 conversion process that happens within the chams body.

I run a T5 but I still supplement D3 2 times a month. It is my back up measure because the D3 from light process involves the animals body and organs creating the usable D3 from the UVI level provided. Should there be any issue within the body slowing or not converting correctly due to an organ issue then still supplementing with D3 2 times a month provides the backup and the amount needed. They can not overdose on D3 if you are supplementing 2 times a month and providing the UVI level needed. It is a different form that their body makes so your not running the risk of overdose by having the 2 times a month back up in place.

If not using a solarmeter the rule of thumb in the hobby is 6-9 months for a reptisun bulb and 12 months for an arcadia bulb.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/at-a-loss-for-what-is-wrong.181811/#post-1655766

As of this post, my Reptisun T5HO is now 18 months @ 12 hrs/day, and still producing UVI of 5 @ 9"

I run a T5 but I still supplement D3 2 times a month. It is my back up measure because the D3 from light process involves the animals body and organs creating the usable D3 from the UVI level provided. Should there be any issue within the body slowing or not converting correctly due to an organ issue then still supplementing with D3 2 times a month provides the backup and the amount needed. They can not overdose on D3 if you are supplementing 2 times a month and providing the UVI level needed. It is a different form that their body makes so your not running the risk of overdose by having the 2 times a month back up in place.
If you have any information on this abnormality, I think many people here would be interested in reading it.

The main organ involved in D3 production is the skin.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12695986/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/at-a-loss-for-what-is-wrong.181811/#post-1655766

As of this post, my Reptisun T5HO is now 18 months @ 12 hrs/day, and still producing UVI of 5 @ 9"

If you have any information on this abnormality, I think many people here would be interested in reading it.

The main organ involved in D3 production is the skin.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12695986/
That is what i was initially trying to get across that it would be much better for a new starter to go t5.
Likewise I'm doing d3 supplement as a back up but more so for failure of the light uv output. didn't mean to make this too complicated for op to follow.

Other kit i find extremely useful are long tweezers for handling (or not to handle) feeders moving from tubs to a bag or tub for sprinkling supplement on them.
If you're running a busy lifestyle like me then i would highly recommend although expensive but worth it if you cant always be there for misting, an automated misting machine (mistking or equivalent) & a dimming thermostat i have found these good investments.
Back up heat bulbs during the course of a year if you have large seasonal variations then a few different bulb wattages, you may find a 100w needed in winter but a 50w in summer all depends on your location & climate

That is what i was initially trying to get across that it would be much better for a new starter to go t5.
I agree completely; I just don't know if OP was asking because s/he already had a T8 fixture, or cost or something... 🤷‍♂️

Likewise I'm doing d3 supplement as a back up but more so for failure of the light uv output. didn't mean to make this too complicated for op to follow.
Yeah, we should all have meters. Hopefully there may be some news regarding cost/options.

Back up heat bulbs during the course of a year if you have large seasonal variations then a few different bulb wattages, you may find a 100w needed in winter but a 50w in summer all depends on your location & climate
All good suggestions. My basking lamp blew in the last few days, and we didn't notice (due to its angle) until yesterday. Due to the season, daytime temps have been 80-ish (F) so it's probably not a big deal, but what we thought was a spare turned out not to be. :eek:

Redoing the lights and some plants anyway, and fortunately one of the big box home improvement stores is carrying incandescent floods again (Yay! 📣)

Back
Top Bottom