What does this color mean?

FA9F95B5-F0BD-4E68-B1DE-E516F456786A.jpeg
A8212A67-CBD6-4357-A004-709607026DAE.jpeg
Here are a couple pics of Danny’s back feet

Too early to tell but the colors/casque to me indicate a female. The spurs do add some conflict, but ive seen multiple females on this forum in the last year that had visible spurs.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Danny is a 3 month old male veiled chameleon and has been in my care for about 3 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled him a couple times.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I put about 30 small crickets in his cage every three days. I haven't done gut-loading yet.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust the crickets with calcium without D3 before putting them in his cage.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist his cage 2-3 times a day with a pressurized mister. I have only seen him drink once.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His dropping are a medium brown with white urates. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Here is a link to the exact cage a got: https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...tials-kit---30-gallon-54521.html?cgid=5000640
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I forgot the brands but I have a T5 Uvb bulb and a 60 watt flood lamp for heat (not the lights that came with the cage). They both turn on at 6 am and turn off at 6 pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I'm not sure how accurate the thermometer is but I have the basking spot at about 80 degrees and at night the lowest it gets to is 65 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? During the day, the humidity is usually around 40-50% and 70% after misting. From 6 pm to 6 am, I run a fogger 30 minutes on and 1 hour off, which gets the humidity to 90% at night. I use a hygrometer that is attached to the wall of the cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a ficus.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in my room next to a fan (not a high traffic area). The top of the cage is about 54 inches from the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Colorado
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I'm concerned if the cage is at a good humidity and temperature.

your danny boy, looks a lot like a little girl to me. check his/her back feet and if they have an little bump called "spurs'' then its a male if not then he/she is most likely a female

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Danny is a 3 month old male veiled chameleon and has been in my care for about 3 weeks.
I think 'he' is a female.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled him a couple times.
I would refrain from handling her except for normal tasks (weighing, vet visits, visual inspection, ect)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I put about 30 small crickets in his cage every three days. I haven't done gut-loading yet.
I will post a sheet for gut loading at the end, but you are going to want to use a few of the leafy green options along with a fruit/veggie option. You can also use a commercial gutload, such as Bug Burger or Cricket Crack.

I would put your feeders in a cup, at her age. It will make food easier to find. Just wedge it between some branches she can easily access.

You are going to want to just throw 10-20 crickets in her cup, every day. Once She gets older you are going to to want to slow down feedings and amounts, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust the crickets with calcium without D3 before putting them in his cage.
Okay, so you are going to want to dust with plain calcium every feeding, then calcium with d3 once every other week, then a multivitamin once every other week. Alternate.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I hand mist his cage 2-3 times a day with a pressurized mister. I have only seen him drink once.
I mist for 2-4 minutes in the morning, and 2-4 minutes in the evening. This will give them time to clean their eyes and properly drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His dropping are a medium brown with white urates. He has not been tested for parasites.
I would get her tested asap.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Way too small. Soon I would upgrade to her big-girl cage. The minimum in a 18x18x36, but if you want her to have more space go with a 2x2x4. I put my boy in his big boy cage right away. If you put food in a cup they wont have any trouble finding their food.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I forgot the brands but I have a T5 Uvb bulb and a 60 watt flood lamp for heat (not the lights that came with the cage). They both turn on at 6 am and turn off at 6 pm.
Is the uvb a coil, or a long fixture?

Personally, what I do is the uvb comes on and goes off an hour before/after the heat. So my uvb is on at 7am, Mist at 7:30am, heat is on at 8am, heat is of at 6pm, Mist at 6:30pm, and uvb is off at 7pm.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I'm not sure how accurate the thermometer is but I have the basking spot at about 80 degrees and at night the lowest it gets to is 65 degrees.
If you have the stick-on circles to measure, yes it is probably inaccurate. For the basking spot you are going to want 82-84 degrees. You need to get a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? During the day, the humidity is usually around 40-50% and 70% after misting. From 6 pm to 6 am, I run a fogger 30 minutes on and 1 hour off, which gets the humidity to 90% at night. I use a hygrometer that is attached to the wall of the cage.
I wouldn't run your fogger right after your lights go off. I run my fogger from 11pm to 4am, and I have screen cage. You have glass cage, you probably need to fog even less. Your humidity during the day can be around 30-40, nighttime 70-100.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a ficus.
How in heck did you fit a ficus in that teeny tiny cage?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in my room next to a fan (not a high traffic area). The top of the cage is about 54 inches from the ground.
Make sure the fan doesn't blow on the cage too much.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Colorado
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I'm concerned if the cage is at a good humidity and temperature.

Please post some pictures of your setup.
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom