What chameleons give birth to live babies?

Chamaeleo (Trioceros) bitaeniatus, Chamaeleo (Trioceros) fuelleborni, Chamaeleo (Trioceros) hoehnelii, Chamaeleo (Trioceros) werneri...I've probably missed a few too.

Bradypodion atromontanum, Bd. caeruleogula, Bd. caffer, Bd. damaranum, Bd. dracomontanum, Bd. gutturale, Bd. kentanicum, Bd. melanocephalum, Bd. nemorale, Bd. nkandlae, Bd. occidentale, Bd. pumilum, Bd. setaroi, Bd. taeniabronchum, Bd. thamnobates, Bd. transvaalense, Bd. ventrale, Trioceros affinis, T. balebicornutus, T. bitaeniatus, T. conirostratus (not confirmed), T. ellioti, T. fuelleborni, T. goetzei, T. harennae, T. hoehnelii, T. incornutus, T. jacksonii, T. kinetensis, T. laterispinis, T. marsabitensis, T. narraioca, T. ntunte, T. rudis, T. schoutedeni, T. schubotzi, T. sternfeldi, T. tempeli, and T. werneri.

Chris

Last edited:
@Chris: I never had them, but I read Tr. incornutus laid eggs, it's right?

There are conflicting reports on T. incornutus. Necas states that they are oviparous while Spawls et al. state that they give live birth. Necas also states that T. goetzei are oviparous. In both cases, I'm pretty sure that they are actually ovoviviparous. Unfortunately, Spawls et al. aren't always correct either. They speculate that K. carpenteri are ovoviviparous due to the elevation they live at and obviously if this were true, it would be a big deal evolutionarily since no other Kinyongia are ovoviviparous.

Chris

There are conflicting reports on T. incornutus. Necas states that they are oviparous while Spawls et al. state that they give live birth. Necas also states that T. goetzei are oviparous. In both cases, I'm pretty sure that they are actually ovoviviparous. Unfortunately, Spawls et al. aren't always correct either. They speculate that K. carpenteri are ovoviviparous due to the elevation they live at and obviously if this were true, it would be a big deal evolutionarily since no other Kinyongia are ovoviviparous.

Chris
K. Carpenteri are very similar to hoehnelii so i wouldn’t be surprised.

Very old thread but good to see it again.
Yes! I watched the YouTube video. So cute, I almost 'liked' it then I saw 2009 for the date. I wonder 🤔 how far back can we like messages before it's too far? I kind of feel like I shouldn't do it if it has ben more than 2 or so months.

There is nothing wrong with adding to an old thread if you have new information but if you ask a question you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response. It is better to quote from an old thread and include it in the start of a fresh one if you want to discuss something. Liking a message does no harm.

There is nothing wrong with adding to an old thread if you have new information but if you ask a question you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response. It is better to quote from an old thread and include it in the start of a fresh one if you want to discuss something. Liking a message does no harm.
I see. I will keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom