What chameleon is the friendliest.....

HankeyPoo

Established Member
Thinking of adding since my hank is doing g so well and have learned Soooo much from everyone on here.... I just want one to hold once in a while and one that wants to come out and hang with me or on one of my house plant and free roam once in a while ...... I’m really interested in the Jackson Cham (I think they just look super cool).. but from what I’m reading is the panther Cham is pretty chill..... I have a veiled Cham now and he’s just a jerk ? but I love my little turd sooo much! ...... So Jackson or panther??

Everything I've read here & elsewhere suggests the panther is the most "friendly".
That said, chameleons aren't considered a "come out and hang with me" reptile like a bearded dragon. They're (all) more a "look but don't touch" reptile. In fact, I've heard & read many times that they're happiest when you pretend you don't see them.

Of course there may be exceptions, but AFAIK, there's no way to predict or train for this reliably.

Everything I've read here & elsewhere suggests the panther is the most "friendly".
That said, chameleons aren't considered a "come out and hang with me" reptile like a bearded dragon. They're (all) more a "look but don't touch" reptile. In fact, I've heard & read many times that they're happiest when you pretend you don't see them.

Of course there may be exceptions, but AFAIK, there's no way to predict or train for this reliably.
I love ... like love the sh!t outta my veiled Cham... but he doesn’t want to come out at all ... and I got all these house plants for him to come out and roam during the day so he’s not stuck in his enclosure, he doesn’t want to ...!”rarely maybe once every couple of weeks I can get him to come out and hang not necessarily on me but I’m one of the plants I got for him... I think I may get a Jackson’s Cham next... i have been watching Bill strands videos and he seems to think they’re pretty temperamental ... here’s hoping this one maybe likes me a little bit more than my veiled LOL

They are all different, with different personalities. That is a tough one to answer. We have had both, and have both ends of the spectrum with each.
Best bet is to try to find ones you can interact with. If you could find a breeder it would be best. They will already have an idea of their personalities.
Panther breeders are more common (at least where I live), and their care is similar to veileds.

They are all different, with different personalities. That is a tough one to answer. We have had both, and have both ends of the spectrum with each.
Best bet is to try to find ones you can interact with. If you could find a breeder it would be best. They will already have an idea of their personalities.
Panther breeders are more common (at least where I live), and their care is similar to veileds.
That’s good to know since I care for a veiled now ?

I was very interested in a Jackson's as well, but Bill Strand's video convinced me otherwise, as I cannot provide the nighttime temperature drop (into the 50sF) recommended for best health.

1604897879323.png

If you can provide that, go for whichever you prefer, though I'm not sure a Jackson's will be any more amiable than your veiled/Yemen.

There are also quite a few previous threads on the "friendliest" species in the archives or on google.

friendliest chameleon

Veileds can warm up to you.
We took one from our friends' son, two years old or so. He warned us "careful. He has been a total a** since the day I brought him home. He won't let you touch him or even want your hand in his cage."
We brought him home and put him in a larger cage. Set the cage up so he is at least a foot above our heads if he wants to be. Got him on a regular schedule.
Leas than two months in, he comes down and to the front when we go over there. Granted, he is there for some sort of food, but he is there. And comes walking out on our arm on his own accord. Don't get me wrong. He still displays, and will gape and hiss. But it is short-lived and he stays front and center while he makes his fuss, not hissing and running away like he used to.
I seriously think the combination of the larger cage and getting above our head height were the two main factors in the change in his demeanor.

Oust is even friendlier than panthers. I feel they are the beardies of the chams in terms of personality. Though i hear that parsons are considered "gentle giants" and it makes sense since they are the top of the food chain as adults, if you have no fear of getting eaten, well you shouldnt mind being handled :) And oust's are longer than parsons so...

I was very interested in a Jackson's as well, but Bill Strand's video convinced me otherwise, as I cannot provide the nighttime temperature drop (into the 50sF) recommended for best health.

View attachment 282079

If you can provide that, go for whichever you prefer, though I'm not sure a Jackson's will be any more amiable than your veiled/Yemen.

There are also quite a few previous threads on the "friendliest" species in the archives or on google.

friendliest chameleon
4lny1x.jpg

Panthers hands down. Sure some people might have a veiled that's cool, most montanes, even if chill, HATE being held and it stresses them out. For panthers, even grumpy ones can be worked with towards handling IME.

I have found that any chameleon that I have ever had becomes friendly when interact with them. I also free range my chameleons because they can become territorial and cage aggressive.

Veileds have an extreme attitude. So, I would go with a panther. Panther chameleons require similar care to veilds. When you start getting into breeds such a Jacksons, parsons, etc. They require different care than veilds and panthers, and more intensive too.

Regarding veileds...I have had some that are very willing to interact with you and some that absolutely won't let you into their territory without going after you. It all depends on the individual chameleon...and sometimes on what you wear or how you move around him. Slow movements seem to be more acceptable than fast movements. With females it also can have to do with whether they are receptive or not.

With panthers, males seem much easier going over all than make veileds ...although again I've seen some that are more feisty.

All the Jacksons I've had seem to be tolerant but would often rather be left alone.

I did see one graceful female who went crazy when a certain person tried to go in her cage or handle her...and yet she was calm as could be when I handled her.

So..it depends on the species but also on the individual to some extent.

Regarding veileds...I have had some that are very willing to interact with you and some that absolutely won't let you into their territory without going after you. It all depends on the individual chameleon...and sometimes on what you wear or how you move around him. Slow movements seem to be more acceptable than fast movements. With females it also can have to do with whether they are receptive or not.

With panthers, males seem much easier going over all than make veileds ...although again I've seen some that are more feisty.

All the Jacksons I've had seem to be tolerant but would often rather be left alone.

I did see one graceful female who went crazy when a certain person tried to go in her cage or handle her...and yet she was calm as could be when I handled her.

So..it depends on the species but also on the individual to some extent.
I completely agree. It depends on the individual chameleon too. (y) ?

Back
Top Bottom