What are these plants??

Kam0408

Established Member
Ok so I have some plants at my house and I am trying to make my chameleon cage fully live and no fake which is what it is now.( with plants)
So does anyone know what these plants are or if they are chameleon safe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 56
looks like you've got (in order)...

English ivy - toxic due to saponins, do not use it around reptiles
Calathea - non-toxic, though they're finicky
Peace lily / Spathiphyllum - not a true lily. Contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, a mechanical irritant
Diffenbachia - has a reputation of being extremely toxic, with insoluble calcium oxalate crystals being the culprit once again. However, this plant also releases proteolytic enzymes which make irritation symptoms worse, so while our chameleons eat some plants containing oxalate crystals (pothos, philodendron) with no obvious effect, I'd avoid this one due to the unknowns regarding that enzyme
Syngonium - insoluble calcium oxalate crystals

Ok thank you so much so the only one that I might be able to use is the second one( realistically I probably now wont use any of these.

Ok thank you so much so the only one that I might be able to use is the second one( realistically I probably now wont use any of these.

The plants only containing oxalate crystals should be fine, considering most common chameleon plants have them and there's not really evidence for crystalized oxalates being harmful.

I don't believe syngoniums, peace lilies, and calatheas have really been "cham tested" though, so the choice to use plants outside of the recommended few is yours to make. I personally wouldn't use any of those three simply because they're large plants that just kind of take up space. Plants like pothos and scheffleras offer a lot of coverage while still being climbable, which is why they're a popular choice!

Back
Top Bottom