What’s your favorite feeders

Hsandovaljr

Established Member
I don’t like to feed my Chams crickets. So currently I been feeding them Dubais and sometimes hornworms. I was feeding them grasshoppers but it was getting to expensive. What’s your guys go to feeders?

Personally I prefer Dubias, but my Triceros cristatus prefer crickets over any other bugs. My veiled and panther I swap them between dubias and crickets. and some times I give them hornworms or superworms as snacks

Grasshoppers are there favorite so I do that every other week , I get a variety pack of roaches from Gold Coast roaches . And usually order an extra 20 large hisser’s for the big guy .. my panther prefers crickets so I do mediums and smalls to give him something to chase . And I also keep hornworms and Supers For supplementation usually after I fed them they’ll always take one more 😊

I love silkworms. They are easy to raise and feed off, and def in the chams top 3 favorites - favorite is a tossup between silks, phasmids, or grasshoppers! I think silkworms might be #1!

Dubia are easy to raise and feed but not a fav due to the ick factor and my clumsiness. But they are a staple feeder for me and probably the most nutritious for the chams due to the variety of gutload.

Grasshoppers are great feeders if you dont mind snapping off limbs, or your husband accidentally letting a dozen adults loose in your house. :)

I love hatching mantid ooths in the cages - but its a draw between the chams that LOVE them and the chams that now have 100 of their own pets. (Dont worry, tomorrow it will be 50, and the next day it will be 20, until there is 1. Then it will be big enough and get eaten!)

BSFL are cool as any that I drop soon hatch into flies for the chams.

Supers are a fav of the chams but not my fav. An easy bug to keep on hand for a treat - but I dont feed them often because they are a pain for me to feed off.

How do I get the larvae to turn into the flies? Or where can I buy black solider flies?
Super easy-just put larvae into some coco coir or whatever, and put some vegetables ends like squash but especially mini sweet peppers in the bottom of it. They will eat it voraciously and turns into flies in a couple of weeks. The cool part is you can cool store the larvae and add them gradually so you have a steady supply.

We feed crickets most of the time, hornworms sometimes, but my favourite thing to feed our female veiled as a treat is a few waxworms. She loves them so much it’s crazy. We handfeed and after hand feeding a waxworm she keeps looking at the hand and trying to shoot again, thinking there are more. It’s so cute and sometimes I am suckered into giving her another… and another because it’s so funny to watch her get so crazy for them. But only once in a while:)

Red Runner roaches, grasshoppers, discoid roaches, blue bottle flies, black soldier flies, occasional black soldier fly larvae.

Back
Top Bottom