Werner Chameleon

caviness81

Any information on werner chameleon? I have a male and a female about 6 to 8 months old. Both are doing good eating crikets and mealworms both will eat out of hand sometimes dead crickets. Female is drinking from drip system male is not. I also spray them about 2 times aday, but not directly on them. just wanting to get any information on these species as possible I am brand new at this

Welcome to the site and chameleons.
Well, you definitely picked a great species to work with.
Good thing you got them now.
They are protected from export this year or maybe for good.
They are moderately difficult species to take care of.
They are a Montane, so you will need lower temps and and high humidity.
Temperature should never reach above 85 degrees during the day.
A decent night time drop in the low 70's to mid 60's atleast.
70-80% humdidity during the day and near 100% at night.
Seasonal breeding
Live birth
Gestation is between 5-10 months.
You female might already be pregnant if she is a wild caught.

I'm sure Trace can fill you in a little more.

Here is a great place to start:
http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/chwerneri.html

Can you fill this out, that way we can evaluate your husbandry?

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

werneri

cage type- 5 feet hight, 4 feet acutual cage room, 2 feet long 2 1/2 feet wide. all screen besides bottom and frame is treated wood. baking pans catch water with towels in them.

Lighting- 3 light system, all zoomed 2 5.0 uvb bulbs 60 watts, 1 flourcent 5.0 uvb

temperature-house temp 76-72 around lighting around 80-88

humidity- not known but high probably. I have a humidifier on a timer that sprays for 60 seconds every 3 hours and also have a drip system with 2 crappy "little drippers" that I run about every 3 hours. I have to find something that is at a reasonble price that is more effective than this drip system.

Plants- I have a large Ivy throughout the cage and also a young schefflera I water these once a day.

Location- located in a room with no windows one ac vent that is not near it and traffic is not bad. I also keep lights on in room about 6 hours aday usually.

species-werni, male and female about 6-8 months old

feeding- crickets and mealworms around 2-3 everyother day

Male wernier

My male also likes to hang up aginst the lights all the time. lighting is about 4 inch off cage. why does he do this and what can i do to make him stop.

please give info

need it !! only trying to really understand I work offshore need to no how to take care of them when I am gone so my wife can help me.

imo, another species would be better to start out with.

as pointed out in the first reply they're a moderately difficult species to keep alive.
for example,
I went to a well known brick and mortar/ online retile places last month
they had advertised this species as being available so I went to check them out
when I got there they only had one to two left from the shipment or 12 animals.
I was told (offhandly) that all the others had died.
Now that is from a business that deals with these animals and "know what to do".

Since the national source has cut off exportation (to preserve the species)
every individual in domestically has gained new importance.

IF I may suggest, you should trade the ones you have -for a few veiled chameleons
they're easier to care for, tolerant to keepers errors and can be replaced... cheaply.
Take the wild caught animals and trade them/sell to someone with more experience.
Under the condition that they'll use them for a domestic breeding program
to take the pressure off of the wild populations (and future illegal smuggling).

Chances are that these animals haven't been dewormed either
so when you do make the trade you'll have to bleach the cages.
This isn't a species that should just be jumped into without experience -given their situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom