Weekend Project

I have no problems with ants in my area so I am fortunate. But any enclosure like this must be closely monitored when in use for a myriad of potential dangers. One thing you must keep in mind is the ants are attracted to food. As long as you do not build the enclosure on top of a mound, they will only come into it if there is food available. It is important to keep dead insects and live insects picked up as well as keeping gut-loads and fruits/vegetables out of the enclosure.

The cage could easily be elevated about a foot off the ground and a false bottom made of expanded metal or heavy hardware cloth. The legs could then be put in buckets filled with water and dish soap. This would keep ants out, but you would have to build a platform for you to walk on, or build it small enough that you do not have to go in it.

Back issues of CIN have great articles on building large outdoor/indoor enclosures. These articles cover things like ants and predators. Worth a look if you know you will have some issues with pest.

All i can say is that i love your cage! I myself, after looking at its simplicity, want to build one....

Hoping to start construction in a week or 2!

POST MORE PICS PLEASE! :) :D :) :D :)

Oh come on Michelle Suck it up wuss!!!!! LOL

Jeezo, if only you knew. It takes me about 3 hours to assemble those "pre-made" enclosures...most people can do it in 30 mins flat LOL. I'm just a little challenged in that area :D That's why I'm a Marine Biologist and am not in the construction business.

Jeezo, if only you knew. It takes me about 3 hours to assemble those "pre-made" enclosures...most people can do it in 30 mins flat LOL. I'm just a little challenged in that area :D That's why I'm a Marine Biologist and am not in the construction business.

LOL Michelle its alright! We all have our flaws...:D :p :D

Back
Top Bottom