We have some epic reptile programs coming up.

Persnickety Parson's

Chameleon Enthusiast
@DeremensisBlue has seen the light and is going to do TWO podcasts in the world's only true chameleons, the anoles. I may or may not have had a small part to play in this turn of events.

Tonight

Tomorrow

I trust any proper "chameleon" enthusiast will turn up to take in the glory, and have a good time.

@jamest0o0 @MissSkittles @Brad @AmandaS @Beman @kinyonga
@Gingero
tumblr_mu5cjvBWLN1qzrrsgo1_500.gif

That is all have a nice day.
:)

Not to derail a very nice announcement of my shows for this weekend (thank you!), but what is the interest in Periplaneta? I love roaches, but I admit that the Periplaneta are low on my list. I am curious to hear another perspective!
I find them to be a more "interactive" roach species, if you feed them by hand they will come to allow gentle handling, schedule their feeding during the day, and if they feel safe, they will come out and eat during the day, eventually they settle down and become an "all hours" roach type, making observing their behaviors easier. If they are in a room with frequent trafgic they settle down and go about their business.

Finally they are a very meaty soft bodies roach, and contray to popular belief have great difficulty establishing themselves in a home setting, unless you have a leaking pipe and ready access to food.

I live in Florida and the only Periplaneta I find in my house are near death due "improper" living conditions for them. Since there is no easy access to food or water. I promptly put them back out side if I can.

I recommend Periplaneta australasiae if your just getting into this genus, as they are both pretty to look at and need a lot more going for them to get established in a home setting should they escape, as far as escaping goes though, they are easy to contain, hissing roaches easily put them to shame on the escaping front. Periplaneta australasiae generally needs lots of potted plants or a greenhouse indoor to get going outside an enclosure.

Periplaneta americana deserves an honorable mention. Slightly beefier than periplaneta australasiae but not as pretty, though I adore them, generally a bit more bold though, and an accomplished hunter of smaller insects.

They also come in a variety of morphs that are available, one morph being jet black with white eyes.

I find them to be a more "interactive" roach species, if you feed them by hand they will come to allow gentle handling, schedule their feeding during the day, and if they feel safe, they will come out and eat during the day, eventually they settle down and become an "all hours" roach type, making observing their behaviors easier. If they are in a room with frequent trafgic they settle down and go about their business.

Finally they are a very meaty soft bodies roach, and contray to popular belief have great difficulty establishing themselves in a home setting, unless you have a leaking pipe and ready access to food.

I live in Florida and the only Periplaneta I find in my house are near death due "improper" living conditions for them. Since there is no easy access to food or water. I promptly put them back out side if I can.

I recommend Periplaneta australasiae if your just getting into this genus, as they are both pretty to look at and need a lot more going for them to get established in a home setting should they escape, as far as escaping goes though, they are easy to contain, hissing roaches easily put them to shame on the escaping front. Periplaneta australasiae generally needs lots of potted plants or a greenhouse indoor to get going outside an enclosure.

Periplaneta americana deserves an honorable mention. Slightly beefier than periplaneta australasiae but not as pretty, though I adore them, generally a bit more bold though, and an accomplished hunter of smaller insects.

They also come in a variety of morphs that are available, one morph being jet black with white eyes.

Are we going to turn this into a roach thread???

Are we going to turn this into a roach thread???
I tired to distract him...

Now we must celebrate anoles, the best true chameleons.
...but to no avail. I fear he is dead set on his path!

Though I do have to say that my friends that have the Cuban False Chameleon Anole (Anolis barbatus) seem quite taken with them!

I tired to distract him...

...but to no avail. I fear he is dead set on his path!

Though I do have to say that my friends that have the Cuban False Chameleon Anole (Anolis barbatus) seem quite taken with them!

You mean the Cuban "true" chameleon?

:D

You have empty enclosures, the law is thus written, that empty enclosures must be filled.

Yup...prehensile tailed anoles.
I had a pair of Polychrus peruvianus. Couldn't get the female to mate and produce eggs until I figured out that they liked fruit and veggies and liked being rained on. Female laid two clutches...but I also didn't know the male would eat the eggs until it happened with the first clutch. The second clutch, I was unable to hatch. Lack of experience on my part I think. Both were wild caught. The female was with me for about 5 years and the male for over 12...at which time I had to rehome him with a friend (for personal reasons). They did lovely color changes and patterns.

I would hand feed the male strip of red pepper eat time I gave him veggies and fruit and each time he would look at my thumb/finger and decide whether to bite me or the red pepper. I made sure the pepper always ended up being the target!

Always wished I could have worked with them longer.

Back
Top Bottom