Vieled Cham skin peeling? -thought it was shedding but after 20 hours i'm doubtful

In that case his eating habbits have probably been fine and I found no pupating wax worm/moths when I cleared out the bark at the bottom the first time round so he probably ate most of them.

Yesterday I bought small black crickets, brown crickets and locusts (the latter two he's been eating quite enthusiasticly), another lamp and i've finally cleaned out the bark. Will be much easier to clean out now and the risk is less to him. Not sure how much difference the additional light is making. Thinking of putting a low energy bulb in it. Could try 'daylight' bulbs but I only have the wrong fitting of them currently.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. With all the horror stories on the internet involving chameleons dying it's easy to be falsely alarmed sometimes.

Thinking of putting a low energy bulb in it.

a coil?
one word... no.

If your usingit for UVB, than a coil bulb will blind your cham.

If you wanted it for heat... well, they dont give off heat.

Superworms, butterworms and waxworms are all addictive.

Remove soil immediately. Unless you want death,...

Plus, substrate is completely useless.

-Steve

I already have a 60W heat lamp on a dimming thermostat pointing at my basking spot and a UV strip Reptiglow 5.0, i think.

I got a second lamp after being advised to get additional lighting, as the cage overall was a bit dark. I've got another lamp which currently just has a standard 40W bulb in it but I may try some other things. So, you say a low energy bulb would blind the chameleon when placed in this lamp? A daylight bulb was suggested but they are multiple times the price of a regular bulb and 60W so it is not going to be cheap or energy efficent. I still may go down that route in the end.

The only soil I now have is in my plant pots and I just have a layer of newspaper then some paper kitchen towels above that.

I'll go easy when giving him worms in the future.

I already have a 60W heat lamp on a dimming thermostat pointing at my basking spot and a UV strip Reptiglow 5.0, i think.

I got a second lamp after being advised to get additional lighting, as the cage overall was a bit dark. I've got another lamp which currently just has a standard 40W bulb in it but I may try some other things. So, you say a low energy bulb would blind the chameleon when placed in this lamp? A daylight bulb was suggested but they are multiple times the price of a regular bulb and 60W so it is not going to be cheap or energy efficent. I still may go down that route in the end.

The only soil I now have is in my plant pots and I just have a layer of newspaper then some paper kitchen towels above that.

I'll go easy when giving him worms in the future.

Don't worry, we have all been there, with the wrong set up, the wrong food etc, that's how most of us ended up here! You sound like you have taken everyone's advise without getting upset at the way it was said (I took it very much to heart when I joined and felt like i was completely useless!). Before long, you will be doling out the same advice to the next lot of newbies that come along! :)

Back
Top Bottom