Veiled chameleon

Charlychameleon

Hi everyone! new to owning a veiled chameleon and have a couple of questions:
1) I have got a reptifogger for thr enclosure is this sufficient for both thr humidity needs as well as for drinking?
2) I bought crickets and meal worms from the store but am interested in having mail ordered crickets on weekly basis. Any recommendations on this? Also what other foods do you like to supplement juveniles with?
3) is it possible or advisable to have a bottom substrate for chameleons? If so what do you recommend? It sounds like there is the risk of them ingesting material, right now I just have the mat that came with thr kit.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Hi and welcome! :) You don’t want to fog during the day…only at night and only if you can get a good temp drop below around 70. During the day you’ll want to mist. Usually it’s best to mist for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. You can either add another 2 minute misting mid day or use a dripper for about 15-20 minutes.
Crickets are ok and there’s lots of places to buy them on line. Do check the forum sponsors. Some, like Rainbow Mealworms sell a variety of feeders and you do want to feed a variety. While there’s ongoing debate about feeding mealworms, the general consensus is that they should not be used as a staple feeder. I’m attaching some graphics for you. Whatever feeders you use, you need to keep them well fed and as healthy as possible so that they are more nutritious for your chameleon. The orange cubes and similar are not good for more than hydrating your bugs.
A bare floor will be much more hygienic and easiest to keep clean. Some substrates are dangerous and can cause impaction if your cham ingests any. The Repti carpet and other things will just cause bacterial growth. There is bioactive, which means setting up a little ecosystem with soil mixes, plants and clean up insects (isopods and springtails etc), but I suggest first getting all of your husbandry down solid before delving into that. It needs to be done correctly.
You will want to have only safe live plants in your enclosure. Veileds like to nibble leaves and it only takes one bite of a fake plant to cause impaction.
To learn so much more about basic husbandry and so much more, start here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ and then here. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ Then come back and continue asking questions and the forum is an awesome place to get help getting everything set up perfectly and for sharing your love of your chameleon. :)
41BB9999-885E-4409-8A14-8D3AFA91EFFE.jpeg
B813A057-FCF7-488B-8942-0C6FDCB560FF.jpeg
6E49B329-57E9-4234-A1E7-C05B906F836E.jpeg

Thank you so much for this information! So for now I will give him a combination of blue bottle flies, crickets, with the occasional wax worms as treats. Does that sound enough variety? I am assuming i will still dust these with the calcium prior to feeding? Also quick follow on question for the trailign plants how do you advise getting them to mount on the side of the mesh walls? I'm not sure how to do that if they are potted.

Not too bad, but try to add a couple more good staples. Roaches are an excellent addition to your variety of staple feeders. Bsfl (aka calci worms and Phoenix worms) are also good and if you let them pupate into flies, make for fun treats to be hunted down.
You will want to lightly dust at every feeding with a phosphorus free calcium without D3. You’ll also need to use a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin. Each is given one feeding every other week and you’ll alternate them (weeks 1&3 calcium with D3, weeks 2&4 multivitamin). There are a couple of combination D3/multivitamin products that are pretty good and then those are given one feeding every other week. I like and use Reptivite with D3.
If you’d like, you can answer all of the following questions (copy & paste with your answers) and have all of your husbandry reviewed. Is a great way to make sure everything is correct for your sweet cham. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom