veiled chameleon trouble walking

foxracing702

hello, im a new member but have used the site before for reference, and it was very helpful! so im hoping for alittle more insight into my first minor problem with my new veiled chameleon. i'v had him for about 2 months now, and hes growing fast, eats like a pig, and was very active.

over the last week though he has become less active and has developed a limp in his hind legs when we walks, aswell as shakes alittle occasionally when walking. everything else appears normal with him, he eats lots still, stool is regular, laps water up and basks. I use calcium +D once a week with equal part multi vitamine, dusted on his crickets. i mist his cage 2-4 times a day, aswell as leave a water dish and meal worm dish in his cage. I have only recently learned about the advantages of gut packing crickets, so i am starting to do that as of a few days ago. but im worried he has MBD or is getting too much calcium.

what is most likly causing his limp and lazyness, he hangs close into his favorite branch most of the day, if there are any suggestions as to what is causing this and a possible cure to help his limp, since it bothers me to see him suffer :(

thank you, dave

Hi Dave. sorry your cham is having problems. You are actually not using enough calcium. Your feeders should be dusted everyday with calcium which contains no d3. The other calcium with the d3 can be used twice monthly along with the multi. What kind of lighting are you using? do you have a uvb light? can you post a pic of your chameleon?

okay, i will get some with no calcium tomorrow to start using daily.

for lighting i have 2 x 26W 5.0 bulbs and 1 100watt basking light up 12"

i will try to post a picture, he's molting atm

him tonight

Attachments

• chameleon_molt.JPG
    chameleon_molt.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,089
That does look like MBD, do you have an exotic reptile vet near you? You probably will have to order the calcium without d3 online, I get Flukers Miner-All O I believe it's called. Your vet will most likely suggest calcium shots, your supplimenting schedule should be as mostly suggested:

Calcium without d3 everyday,
Calcium with d3 twice a month,
Multivitamins twice a month.

Looks like MBD from the lack of calcium. Get him on the calcium without D3 daily ASAP. You may want to try a few doses of liquid calcium as well.

How old are the UVB lights? They should be changed every 6-8 months and they stop producing sufficient UVB levels.

You should fill out the how to ask for help form so we can see if everything else is OK.

Here's the form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

there isent a exotic vet near me unfortunatly, but i do know my local pet store carries, calcium w/o d3. its just exo terra brand though..

i will change my schedual to that immediatly

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male, about 4 months old. has been in my care for 2 months Handling - about once a week, but he sometimes will crawl on me when i reach in to spot clean the cage
Feeding - im feeding crickets(daily), about 8ish, my schedual was missing calcium w/o d3, i just started gut feeding my crickets - using the other info on this forum :)
Watering - i mist the whole cage, mist 2-4 times a day with two 1minute mists atleast, i have seen him drink occasionally
Fecal Description - fecal matter is dark brown with a white bite, hes never been tested for perasites
History - got healthy from a local pets store

Cage Info:
Cage Type - its a exo-terra glass cage with the vented front and mesh top, is 17x17x14"
Lighting - exo terra lighting, 26W with 5.0 rating, i leave them on from 9-
Temperature - the tops about 95, with his basking spot being about 90 and the floor is about 70, tank temp at night is 68, i use basic thermometers in two spots
Humidity - my humidity varies from 50-90%, i mist several times throughout the day, and use a basic guage to measure
Plants - i have a planted cage, a fern, 2 cactus, 2 plants, i checked them all on the chameleon safe plant list. they do take alittle room up not leaving to much space on the floor
Placement - the cage is in my room on a desser,no fans and opposit side of the room to my air vent, los traffic, the tank top is 4 1/2 ft. off the
Location - in in british columbia, canada outside of vancouver

Current Problem - he is walking funny and has become lazy :p

The exoterra calcium is perfectly fine. You can get past this with your chameleon and he can be a very good pet for you once you get this straightened out.

thank you, i do hope so. im going to get the calcium now!

dose anyone have a link to a good gut loading mix, i found a few but people seem to have mixed opinions and im wonder whats the best for a mbd chameleon

I am hoping for an easy recovery for you and your little man!

Check out SandraChameleon's info regarding nutrition. It is very important to feed the cham and their food properly. Some of the info is still confusing to me but she gives great lists of grubbins for our critters and their groceries and has made a HUGE difference in our lives. (Thanks again for that!)

Supplements for our chams are like our multi-vitamins for ourselves. They should be used as a back-up for good nutrition practices. And, there are some chams out there that still get bone issues when they are given the proper supplements from day one. So I can't stress good food and nutrition enough especially for sick chams.

The way his legs are bending and he is laying on his belly suggests MBD. But you will need a vet visit and x-rays to find out for sure. And the vet will be able to splint/wrap anything that needs to be fixed. The vet will also be able to give the correct calcium and other meds you may need during his recovery.

Does he drag himself or does he get up on all four legs and walk around? Is he moving around in his cage as usual or spending most of his time perching? Does he fall, tip-over, or hang off his branches or vines? If so, he will have trouble drinking, eating, and moving in and out of light and heat areas like he normally would and might be falling without you knowing about it. Check your cage for branches that could stab if he falls and put cushiony towels around for him to fall on. Move his water source close to where he likes to be or do lots of short mistings just til the water is dripping around him. Offer food more frequently and don't expect him to hunt for food much.

Wishing you the best and Good Luck!

i had most of the veggies and fruits to for the crickets but will have to get more variety tomorrow. im still alittle confused as to the dry gut load, so i grabbed a pre made one from the pet store.

i will look into the vet, but i dont think there is one locally to me..

he still gets up to walk around, and is still not to wobbly or missing grips. he isent moving around as normal, hes spending most of his time perching. he hasent fallen or tipped over. i havent seen him drinking so im misting more, he is still eating good but not hunting. i have moved anything remotely sharp off the ground

Keep an eye out. He may get a bit worse before he starts to get better, it takes a while. Quite a while sometimes! If he acts weaker or wobblier, make it so he can't fall, at least not far.

My guy broke one of his legs catching himself from falling. That was his worst break of all until the broken back where he fell less than 1/2 meter.

Keep up the good work!

Hoping things are getting better?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and this little guy. So, was wondering if we could get an update?

The best vet in our area for chameleons is the Dewdney Animal Hospital in Maple Ridge. About a 30 min. drive from you but well worth it.

If anyone could help me with my chameleon that would be much appreciated. He will not walk at all and won’t eat I’m not sure what to do

If anyone could help me with my chameleon that would be much appreciated. He will not walk at all and won’t eat I’m not sure what to do
Can you post your own thread? If he can not walk he needs immediate Vet Attention. Find a reptile vet near you and try to get him in asap. Put him in a closed box with a towel in the bottom and he will be more relaxed for the trip to the vet. Sounds like possibly MBD but no way to give you any info without having you post a thread and fill out this form with complete detail and pictures of set up and Chameleon. However he needs a Vet first!
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom