Veiled Chameleon.....male or female

BugMunch

I received this chameleon as a gift on Dec 28th.....I am guessing male, because of the possible spur on the back feet. I was told it turned 6 weeks on Dec 1st. Would like someone with more knowledge to help me out :) Thanks!
83583946_10157273879052807_8401399744047349760_n.jpg
83245260_10157273879132807_5394792228755341312_n.jpg
83439831_10157273879297807_1864005545787129856_n.jpg
83300627_10157273879222807_2253063861215166464_n.jpg

Im going with male, I recommend filling out the help form just to make sure that your husbandry is on point, even if you think you don't need to, it never hurts to double-check. I don't like that purple hue coming from the bulbs.....here's the help form:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Im going with male, I recommend filling out the help form just to make sure that your husbandry is on point, even if you think you don't need to, it never hurts to double-check. I don't like that purple hue coming from the bulbs.....here's the help form:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I am working on replacing his lighting this week....I have to find them either instore or online and order them. I will fill out this form, when I get back in from daily errands :)

I am working on replacing his lighting this week....I have to find them either instore or online and order them. I will fill out this form, when I get back in from daily errands :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon approximately 14 weeks old. I received it on Dec 28,2019
  • Handling - A couple of times a week
  • Feeding - Small Crickets. About 10-12 a day. Feed him first thing in the morning, so he can eat throughout the day. I feed the crickets collard greens, carrots, and tangerines(for now)
  • Supplements - Repti calcium with D3 once a week.
  • Watering - Tropical Waterfall Cascade by Thrive. I mist his enclosure once or twice a day for 2 minutes each time. My chameleon drinks from the waterfall and from the plant leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white, solid, not runny. As far as I know, it hasn't been tested for parasites.
  • History - He was purchased by my friends mom, for her granddaughter, when it was a little over 6 weeks old. The granddaughter has anxiety and was scared she couldn't properly care for it, and it would die, so they asked me to take it in.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit. Length 16in Height 30in Width 16in
  • Lighting - I have a Thrive 60watt nighttime heat bulb, Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp(came with the kit), and I got a Thrive 15watt Tropical 18" UVB bulb. He gets 12 hours of his daytime lights, then only the nighttime heat bulb at night.
  • Temperature - Top of cage is 100 degrees, middle of cage is 80 degrees, and the bottom of the cage is 67 degrees. Lowest overnight temp is 65 - 67 degrees. I have a digital thermometer in is enclosure.
  • Humidity - I honestly don't know what the humidity is in the enclosure, I need to get a humidity gauge for the enclosure.
  • Plants - I have plastic plants and vines in his enclosure and recently added a real plant, Dwarf Umbrella plant.
  • Placement - In my sons bedroom, on his dresser, by the window. There is a ceiling fan in his room, but he doesn't use it much, and if he does, it is on low. There is an air vent under the dresser. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the floor.
  • Location - South Carolina

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon approximately 14 weeks old. I received it on Dec 28,2019
  • Handling - A couple of times a week Is it voluntary or forceful?
  • Feeding - Small Crickets. About 10-12 a day. Feed him first thing in the morning, so he can eat throughout the day. I feed the crickets collard greens, carrots, and tangerines(for now)
  • Supplements - Repti calcium with D3 once a week. Dust lightly every day without D3 and twice a month with D3
  • Watering - Tropical Waterfall Cascade by Thrive. I mist his enclosure once or twice a day for 2 minutes each time. My chameleon drinks from the waterfall and from the plant leaves. Remove the waterfall immediately, it is a breeding ground for bacteria
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white, solid, not runny. As far as I know, it hasn't been tested for parasites.
  • History - He was purchased by my friends mom, for her granddaughter, when it was a little over 6 weeks old. The granddaughter has anxiety and was scared she couldn't properly care for it, and it would die, so they asked me to take it in.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit. Length 16in Height 30in Width 16in They need at least 2x2x4. Im sorry to say that even though that kit looked amazing and money-saving you'll have to end up replacing pretty much everything in it.
  • Lighting - I have a Thrive 60watt nighttime heat bulb, Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp(came with the kit), and I got a Thrive 15watt Tropical 18" UVB bulb. He gets 12 hours of his daytime lights, then only the nighttime heat bulb at night. they need no light or heat at night. Replace all of the lights with a T5HO strip and a house held incandescent bulb
  • Temperature - Top of cage is 100 degrees, middle of cage is 80 degrees, and the bottom of the cage is 67 degrees. Lowest overnight temp is 65 - 67 degrees. I have a digital thermometer in is enclosure.
  • Humidity - I honestly don't know what the humidity is in the enclosure, I need to get a humidity gauge for the enclosure.
  • Plants - I have plastic plants and vines in his enclosure and recently added a real plant, Dwarf Umbrella plant. Since veileds are known for eating vegetation, try to replace the majority of the plastic plants with real safe ones.
  • Placement - In my sons bedroom, on his dresser, by the window. There is a ceiling fan in his room, but he doesn't use it much, and if he does, it is on low. There is an air vent under the dresser. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the floor.
  • Location - South Carolina

This is as much info I am comfortable giving. Others will chime in as well

Handling: a little of both, but mainly voluntary
Water: what should I use, as he didn't like the dripper waterer?
Cage: I planned on upgrading it as he grew, this is what he came with, as he was a gift
Light: Take out the 18" UVB bulb as well? And is the T5HO light the same thing as the Arcadia light I have read about?

Thank you for helping me perfect my lil dudes husbandry! I am new to this species and want to make sure all is perfect for him :):love:

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

In addition to dusting little with a phos free calcium powder st almost every feeding and lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 twice a month I would add a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A twice a month lightly. PrOformed (bets carotene) sources of vitamin A won't build up in the system but it means that you might have to give the chameleon a little bit of a prEformed source of vitamin A once in a while.

I would also set up a dripper that drips at the rate of one or two drips per second for a part of the day.

Handling: a little of both, but mainly voluntary
Water: what should I use, as he didn't like the dripper waterer?
Cage: I planned on upgrading it as he grew, this is what he came with, as he was a gift
Light: Take out the 18" UVB bulb as well? And is the T5HO light the same thing as the Arcadia light I have read about?

Thank you for helping me perfect my lil dudes husbandry! I am new to this species and want to make sure all is perfect for him :):love:
You can use a spray bottle and mist the leaves in his enclosure for 2-3 minutes a few times daily, along with using a dripper. You may not always see him drink...some are secretive drinkers.
Do you have any information about the 18” uvb bulb? Brand, % uvb, fixture size? A T5HO is the size fixture that is best used along with a 5% (or Arcadia 6%) uvb bulb. You need to find out somehow if that is what your 18” fixture & bulb are.

You can use a spray bottle and mist the leaves in his enclosure for 2-3 minutes a few times daily, along with using a dripper. You may not always see him drink...some are secretive drinkers.
Do you have any information about the 18” uvb bulb? Brand, % uvb, fixture size? A T5HO is the size fixture that is best used along with a 5% (or Arcadia 6%) uvb bulb. You need to find out somehow if that is what your 18” fixture & bulb are.
This is all I see about the bulb:

DESCRIPTION Provide essential, UVB, UVA, and visible light for your tropical reptile(s) with the help of this Thrive Tropical 25-Watt UVB Bulb. This bulb provides essential UVB (Type B Ultraviolet Light) rays in lieu of natural sunlight that promote bone health, and helps to produce Vitamin D as well. In short, this is just the type of light your pet needs to thrive.

This is all I see about the bulb:

DESCRIPTION Provide essential, UVB, UVA, and visible light for your tropical reptile(s) with the help of this Thrive Tropical 25-Watt UVB Bulb. This bulb provides essential UVB (Type B Ultraviolet Light) rays in lieu of natural sunlight that promote bone health, and helps to produce Vitamin D as well. In short, this is just the type of light your pet needs to thrive.
That’s the PetSmart brand. Not so sure if it’s adequate. You’re probably better to play it safe and get a Reptisun like this. Just do yourself a favor and if you‘ll be getting a larger enclosure, get one long enough to cover the width.
7D8A51F5-E633-448B-AC8F-106C7F132901.jpeg

That’s the PetSmart brand. Not so sure if it’s adequate. You’re probably better to play it safe and get a Reptisun like this. Just do yourself a favor and if you‘ll be getting a larger enclosure, get one long enough to cover the width.
View attachment 257415

The one I got from PetSmart is supposedly their "brand", in comparison to Reptisun. I looked online last night ad found this light, I will order today:

https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-...pqZLVIMuLbwYr_5a0Sd8ix06FDvgxpa_gvdHztBpycQQw

https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...VVFt3fautkP_2Eh6sGL1jimi8il0H50hexbrNFfZlicWU

Back
Top Bottom