Veiled Chameleon Behavior Change

Calvin222

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon: Male Veiled Chameleon, about 5 to 6 months old (possibly older) and has been in my care for 3 months.
• Handling: I have been working on getting him used to handling. In the last couple of weeks, he has let me handle him so I have been trying to pick him up once a day.
• Feeding: I feed him mostly gutloaded (high calcium dry food) crickets, along with meal worms and wax worms occasionally. I feed him 2 days in a row and then skip a day. I usually give him around 5-8 crickets.
• Supplements: I use Zoomed repti-calcium with D3 every other feeding. I dust with Rep-cal herptivite about once a week.
• Watering: A dripper is used as his main source of water. His cage is misted at least twice a day and long enough so all of the leaves are dripping with water. A fogger is also used to maintain humidity.
• Fecal Description: Appear to be normal, urate is white with a little bit of yellow.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type: Large Reptibreeze cage
• Lighting: 2 Heat lamps are used to maintain proper temperature. 5.0 Reptisun UVB bulb. On a 12 hour cycle (8-8).
• Temperature: Basking temp: 90-95. Cage Floor: 70. Overnight temp: 60-65. Zoomed thermometers are used including a digital one to measure basking temp.
• Humidity: 50-80%. Fogger is set on timer to go off 4 times, in 30 minute intervals. I also recently added plastic to the outside of the cage and also live plants in order to increase humidity levels (humidity in room is usually 30%). 2 zoomed hygrometers are used to measure.
• Plants: Recently added Dracaena marginata and Schefflera arboricola. Other fake plants are in cage for places to hide.
• Placement: Located in a low traffic area and on a 3 foot tall counter.

Hi there! My chameleon’s behavior has changed in the last couple of weeks. He has become much more active and spends much less time basking. He is also constantly trying to get out of his cage. He used to refuse to be handled however, now he will do just about anything to get out of his cage that he will just climb right on me. I can barely open the door without him trying to run out. I originally thought that he was bothered by the low humidity however I added live plants, and closed off 3 sides of the cage with plastic and now his humidity is staying around 60-70%. I also have given him some time to adjust to the new set-up of his cage after adding the plants but his behavior has remained the same. He also does not like when his fogger turns on but it is necessary for maintaining the humidity. I am just wondering if anyone would know why he is so set on trying to get out of his cage. I also attached a picture of the cage before I added live plants, after, and a picture of him.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Cage.JPG
    Cage.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Old cage.JPG
    Old cage.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Calvin.JPG
    Calvin.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 210
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon: Male Veiled Chameleon, about 5 to 6 months old (possibly older) and has been in my care for 3 months.
• Handling: I have been working on getting him used to handling. In the last couple of weeks, he has let me handle him so I have been trying to pick him up once a day.
• Feeding: I feed him mostly gutloaded (high calcium dry food) crickets, along with meal worms and wax worms occasionally. I feed him 2 days in a row and then skip a day. I usually give him around 5-8 crickets.
• Supplements: I use Zoomed repti-calcium with D3 every other feeding. I dust with Rep-cal herptivite about once a week.

Your supplementation schedule is off. At this age he should be getting calcium dust WITHOUT D3 daily, dusting with calcium WITH D3 twice a month, and a herp vitamin twice a month.
• Watering: A dripper is used as his main source of water. His cage is misted at least twice a day and long enough so all of the leaves are dripping with water. A fogger is also used to maintain humidity.
• Fecal Description: Appear to be normal, urate is white with a little bit of yellow.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type: Large Reptibreeze cage
• Lighting: 2 Heat lamps are used to maintain proper temperature. 5.0 Reptisun UVB bulb. On a 12 hour cycle (8-8).
• Temperature: Basking temp: 90-95. Cage Floor: 70. Overnight temp: 60-65. Zoomed thermometers are used including a digital one to measure basking temp.
• Humidity: 50-80%. Fogger is set on timer to go off 4 times, in 30 minute intervals. I also recently added plastic to the outside of the cage and also live plants in order to increase humidity levels (humidity in room is usually 30%). 2 zoomed hygrometers are used to measure.
• Plants: Recently added Dracaena marginata and Schefflera arboricola. Other fake plants are in cage for places to hide.
• Placement: Located in a low traffic area and on a 3 foot tall counter.

Hi there! My chameleon’s behavior has changed in the last couple of weeks. He has become much more active and spends much less time basking. He is also constantly trying to get out of his cage. He used to refuse to be handled however, now he will do just about anything to get out of his cage that he will just climb right on me. I can barely open the door without him trying to run out.
Thanks!

I wonder if his hormones are kicking in and he's more interested in finding a mate outside his territory.

Okay, thank you. I just bought some calcium without d3 from amazon so I can start using that regularly instead of the one with d3. Do you think that if he is acting this way because of hormones that he will eventually lose interest in finding a mate or will he always be trying to get out?

It sounds like it is time for a bigger enclosure, he may also need some free range time. He also seems to be rather friendly, some chams really do thrive on human interaction. My panther loves to fling himself out of his house when I open the door, or he will lean out with his front feet and try and grab on to me.

My guy does this, too. Periodically he gets crazy and starts searching all around his cage for ways to escape. I always supposed he was just looking for a mate. He doesn't really have the crazy urge to escape, he just wants to wander. Do fix your supplementation schedule, though, I had the same type of schedule and it evolved into a serious problem.

Back
Top Bottom