Veiled chameleon ate a caldium I think!

Chey1995

Hello I just purchased a veiled chameleon less than a week ago and went out to get new plants for her. There was a very limited supply so I got two that I thought to be non toxic . I think the one in question was a caldium but I’m still not 100% sure bc I lost the sticker. I thought when I picked it up that it wasn’t toxic. But she has just today eaten a bunch of it and it made me think to do a recheck and I’m still not sure but I think it’s a caldium. I am very upset bc I’m usually always very careful about these kinds of things. Will she die if it’s toxic??

Here is the plant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 52
While we wait for more knowledgeable veiled experts to hop on and answer your question, we really don't know what is toxic for a veiled chameleon and what is not. It's semi-common for people to get a veiled and have them 'surprise' nibble a plant that was toxic. If your cham looks alert and healthy, she should be fine. Pothos is considered a plant to be toxic to many animals and humans if consumed, yet someone put pothos in a cage with a veiled--which is now common-place. The list of "veiled-safe plants" are deemed safe because people have seen their veiled nibble on it with no consequence.

Perhaps someone will hop on with specific knowledge on if caldium is safe. But for now, if your cham is alert and looks healthy, there is no need to go to the vet. If she looks sick, then a vet visit is a must--but I doubt this is the case.

No she looks just a fine as ever but it’s says caldium is toxic when I google it. But she just eat the tops of all the leaves while I was out in town today. If she gets sick I do not know of any exotic vets near me in this small town. I am just so upset bc I can’t believe I let something like this happen. I will definitely be very very careful in the future. I get very attached to my chameleons and I do not want to be the cause of their suffering. Hopefully someone will jump on who knows if they are lethally toxic of hopefully just mildly. I was just so used to my Jackson never eating my plants and the veiled does eat them.

I’ve looked them up after I noticed she eat quite a bit of it. I actually looked it up using google lens. But I’m not sure how toxic they really are to chameleons bc I had trouble looking up that part bc I couldn’t find much on it. I’m just trying to find out if it’s going to be deadly. I guess I may just have to keep an eye on her and see what happens. I was just hoping someone might know so I know what to expect.

Caladium has oxalates in it as does pothos...I can't say it's ok but if that's the only concern with it then it might be. Maybe it's best to remove it to be sure?

Oh thank God. Oh and absolutely! I removed it as soon as I seen that it had toxic properties I instantly removed it. It will no longer be in either of my cages. Even though my Jackson has never eaten any of my plants it will not be in his cage either. I will just put it in the room with them. Any plants that I buy from now on I will do more research and if they are not safe they will be put in the room with them only. Iam planning on putting more plants inside of my cages and in the room with them as well.

Back
Top Bottom