Veiled Cham help

Char.claugh

So I bought a 5 month veiled Male Cham 5 days ago. He didn’t eat the first 2 days but then on the third day he began to eat then ate yesterday too. Today he has been completely uninterested in the locusts he has available in his tank and I’ve even tried worms. he tried to catch a worm missed and just didn’t attempt to eat again. Since then he’s been a very dull colour and just overall seems angry and I’m just completely clueless as to why.

With this being your 4th thread now in a few days, I think it would be beneficial to now fill out the help form and post pics of the enclosure lighting down and the chameleon.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, Male, 5 months, 5 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Handled once while adding things to his cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locusts mainly but have tried super worms and mealworms along with them. I’m making sure there is 2-3 locusts readily available at all times as I was instructed by the seller. I try to feed in the morning but at the moment he just eats as he pleases and isn’t yet in a routine. Gutloading with carrot, apple, dress and porridge oats.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium will be 2x a week, multi vitamin hasn’t arrived yet but will be given once a month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist for a minute or two 4-5 times a day and haven’t seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has only gone once while on my care but it was dark brown and the pee part was milky white. He hasn’t been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass with a screen top .45x46x60
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Not sure of the brand or model(was just given by the seller) has got uvb and basking bulb and schedule is 10-10
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80 basking spot around 70 on floor. At night around 65
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’ve ordered a tool that will measure humidity but it hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t exactly know yet I just mist .
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Plastic plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?on a dresser with no fan air vent or traffic and the top of the cage is probably about 2 m of the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Uk

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just trying to understand more about him so I can give him a good life

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

This is the difference between yesterday and today

Attachments

• 67E3862D-72EF-4A5A-977E-9EAB37365B05.jpeg
    67E3862D-72EF-4A5A-977E-9EAB37365B05.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 62
  • D6818A2B-BD2D-4181-B018-403ED41CA12D.jpeg
    D6818A2B-BD2D-4181-B018-403ED41CA12D.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 76
I will go through every thing. But please take pics of the Lighting being used and the entire enclosure so I can see what your working with. Also if you can take pics of your supplements so I know the exact type to tell you whats in it. :)

This is the difference between yesterday and today
Ok I am going to put my feedback in red bold so it is easy to find.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, Male, 5 months, 5 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Handled once while adding things to his cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locusts mainly but have tried super worms and mealworms along with them. I’m making sure there is 2-3 locusts readily available at all times as I was instructed by the seller. I try to feed in the morning but at the moment he just eats as he pleases and isn’t yet in a routine. Gutloading with carrot, apple, dress and porridge oats. Ok so don't feed the mealworms as they are very low in nutritional content. Make sure the locusts size appropriate for your cham too large and he will not take them. I am going to add a gutloading image for you. You should have mainly green leafy greens from the sheet. Get rid of the oats.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium will be 2x a week, multi vitamin hasn’t arrived yet but will be given once a month. The schedule you will follow is Calcium WITHOUT D3 every feeding. 2 times a month you will dust with Calcium WITH D3 and a multivitamin. These will rotate week over week. What type is the exo terra with D3 or without? Which multivitamin did you order?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist for a minute or two 4-5 times a day and haven’t seen him drink. Are you misting the plants?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has only gone once while on my care but it was dark brown and the pee part was milky white. He hasn’t been tested. I recommend everyone get a fecal on a new cham.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass with a screen top .45x46x60 Ok so if I did my converstion right this is a 17in wide by 17 inch deep by 24 inches tall enclosure which is much too small for him. If you are going to do a glass enclosure you have to get the largest exo terra. But I recommend screen for new keepers because glass can be harder to get your levels correct.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Not sure of the brand or model(was just given by the seller) has got uvb and basking bulb and schedule is 10-10 Please take a picture for me of the lighting. This is a really important aspect.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80 basking spot around 70 on floor. At night around 65. How are you measuring your temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’ve ordered a tool that will measure humidity but it hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t exactly know yet I just mist . Ok so you will want this to be 30-40% during the day. It can be as high as 100% when all lights are off and the enclosure is at its coolest. Spikes after misting are normal.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Plastic plants. Live plants are far better. Veileds will eat plants and he will attempt to eat the fake ones. Not only for stabilizing the humidity but for the water to stay on the leaves for drinking. Pothos is a good plant, dwarf umbrella, dracaena. The soil should be covered with 1 inch or larger rock so he does not eat the dirt.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?on a dresser with no fan air vent or traffic and the top of the cage is probably about 2 m of the floor. Good.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Just trying to understand more about him so I can give him a good life

--------------

Please Note:

Ok here are helpful and fun links...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
https://chameleonacademy.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

The cal
Ok I am going to put my feedback in red bold so it is easy to find.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Locusts mainly but have tried super worms and mealworms along with them. I’m making sure there is 2-3 locusts readily available at all times as I was instructed by the seller. I try to feed in the morning but at the moment he just eats as he pleases and isn’t yet in a routine. Gutloading with carrot, apple, dress and porridge oats. Ok so don't feed the mealworms as they are very low in nutritional content. Make sure the locusts size appropriate for your cham too large and he will not take them. I am going to add a gutloading image for you. You should have mainly green leafy greens from the sheet. Get rid of the oats.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exo Terra calcium will be 2x a week, multi vitamin hasn’t arrived yet but will be given once a month. The schedule you will follow is Calcium WITHOUT D3 every feeding. 2 times a month you will dust with Calcium WITH D3 and a multivitamin. These will rotate week over week. What type is the exo terra with D3 or without? Which multivitamin did you order?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist for a minute or two 4-5 times a day and haven’t seen him drink. Are you misting the plants?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has only gone once while on my care but it was dark brown and the pee part was milky white. He hasn’t been tested. I recommend everyone get a fecal on a new cham.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass with a screen top .45x46x60 Ok so if I did my converstion right this is a 17in wide by 17 inch deep by 24 inches tall enclosure which is much too small for him. If you are going to do a glass enclosure you have to get the largest exo terra. But I recommend screen for new keepers because glass can be harder to get your levels correct.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Not sure of the brand or model(was just given by the seller) has got uvb and basking bulb and schedule is 10-10 Please take a picture for me of the lighting. This is a really important aspect.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80 basking spot around 70 on floor. At night around 65. How are you measuring your temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’ve ordered a tool that will measure humidity but it hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t exactly know yet I just mist . Ok so you will want this to be 30-40% during the day. It can be as high as 100% when all lights are off and the enclosure is at its coolest. Spikes after misting are normal.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Plastic plants. Live plants are far better. Veileds will eat plants and he will attempt to eat the fake ones. Not only for stabilizing the humidity but for the water to stay on the leaves for drinking. Pothos is a good plant, dwarf umbrella, dracaena. The soil should be covered with 1 inch or larger rock so he does not eat the dirt.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?on a dresser with no fan air vent or traffic and the top of the cage is probably about 2 m of the floor. Good.

--------------

Please Note:

Ok here are helpful and fun links...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
https://chameleonacademy.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q

View attachment 263543View attachment 263544
The calcium has d3 and I ordered the exo terra multivitamin, I am misting the plants , I plan on getting a fecal after the lockdown ends, I was informed the tank was okay for now and that I’d have to buy a bigger one in a few months if it can’t wait a few months what size would you recommend? Measuring temps with a thermometer. (When taking the photos I noticed the light brand was exo Terra but still not sure what model)

Attachments

• B55039B1-17A9-45A8-992D-0EC867434E26.jpeg
    B55039B1-17A9-45A8-992D-0EC867434E26.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 9D98763C-AAFA-406C-AF2E-51178DD6EC3F.jpeg
    9D98763C-AAFA-406C-AF2E-51178DD6EC3F.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 78
The cal

The calcium has d3 and I ordered the exo terra multivitamin, I am misting the plants , I plan on getting a fecal after the lockdown ends, I was informed the tank was okay for now and that I’d have to buy a bigger one in a few months if it can’t wait a few months what size would you recommend? Measuring temps with a thermometer. (When taking the photos I noticed the light brand was exo Terra but still not sure what model)
Ok hun so you want calcium without D3 as well. You need to rotate the one with D3 and the multivitamin week to week so each are only given 2 times a month. Then use the calcium without D3 at every other feeding.

Personally I would not wait a few months. He is already 5 months old and they go through a growth spurt at this time. I would have a new one ready to go in a months time. I do understand though with the lockdown this is hard. So yes it is ok for now just not optimal.
What type of thermometer? Is it a wired one?

Lighting needs an upgrade now though. With you living in the UK it will be easy to get your hands on arcadia lighting. So what you want is a T5HO fixture that runs the width of the enclosure and a 6% arcadia UVB bulb. You can get a fixture that is longer in length as well for now so it works for the next cage. The UVB bulb in the fixture you have is a compact UVB bulb and they are very poor quality for chams. When used the cham can develop MBD.

I am unsure of what other caging companies yall have access to there. Zoomed is universal but poor in quality. I would do an internet search and see what you can find for UK sellers of cages. Your looking for a 2x2x4foot enclosure.

Ok hun so you want calcium without D3 as well. You need to rotate the one with D3 and the multivitamin week to week so each are only given 2 times a month. Then use the calcium without D3 at every other feeding.

Personally I would not wait a few months. He is already 5 months old and they go through a growth spurt at this time. I would have a new one ready to go in a months time. I do understand though with the lockdown this is hard. So yes it is ok for now just not optimal.
What type of thermometer? Is it a wired one?

Lighting needs an upgrade now though. With you living in the UK it will be easy to get your hands on arcadia lighting. So what you want is a T5HO fixture that runs the width of the enclosure and a 6% arcadia UVB bulb. You can get a fixture that is longer in length as well for now so it works for the next cage. The UVB bulb in the fixture you have is a compact UVB bulb and they are very poor quality for chams. When used the cham can develop MBD.

I am unsure of what other caging companies yall have access to there. Zoomed is universal but poor in quality. I would do an internet search and see what you can find for UK sellers of cages. Your looking for a 2x2x4foot enclosure.
Thankyou !!

Back
Top Bottom