uvb width info?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
So for one of my panther chameleon enclosure I have it setup with his t5 uvb and its a combo with LED lights.

Zoo Med Repti Sun LED / UVB Fixture 30" to be exact.​

After 5 months of use I realize this was not the best choice. The LED's are already on their way out (some bulbs have already gone) and I figure since I have to replace the UVB bulb here in the next month I may as well just buy a new uvb fixture and then a separate LED fixture (for plants). My question is, what is the width of the arcadia t5 fixtures? I cant seem to find this info anywhere. Ill be buying either a 24in long one or 30 if available (havent seen 30 in anywhere though). And second question is my local exotic reptile store has some used ones for sale for only $40 and they are 48 inch long. Ill still need to buy a new bulb but they have arcadia ones (i think) and some that are much thinner that I was more leaning towards but I have no idea what the brand is but they said its a t5. Could I just use a reptisun t5 5.0 bulb in that and it works just fine or do you all ONLY recommend arcadia or reptisun fixtures? Thanks for any suggestions!

So for one of my panther chameleon enclosure I have it setup with his t5 uvb and its a combo with LED lights.

After 5 months of use I realize this was not the best choice. The LED's are already on their way out (some bulbs have already gone) and I figure since I have to replace the UVB bulb here in the next month I may as well just buy a new uvb fixture and then a separate LED fixture (for plants). My question is, what is the width of the arcadia t5 fixtures? I cant seem to find this info anywhere. Ill be buying either a 24in long one or 30 if available (havent seen 30 in anywhere though). And second question is my local exotic reptile store has some used ones for sale for only $40 and they are 48 inch long. Ill still need to buy a new bulb but they have arcadia ones (i think) and some that are much thinner that I was more leaning towards but I have no idea what the brand is but they said its a t5. Could I just use a reptisun t5 5.0 bulb in that and it works just fine or do you all ONLY recommend arcadia or reptisun fixtures? Thanks for any suggestions!
I’ve never seen Arcadia or zoomed bulbs longer than 24” in pet stores but online you can find some I believe I found some available in larger sizes for uvb on tamura designs as for fixture I use this and just replace one of the plant light bulbs with a t5 uvb bulb

Attachments

• 6DFEF6BE-BA92-4D46-80BA-07C0855E9FA3.png
    6DFEF6BE-BA92-4D46-80BA-07C0855E9FA3.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 81
I’ve never seen Arcadia or zoomed bulbs longer than 24” in pet stores but online you can find some I believe I found some available in larger sizes for uvb on tamura designs as for fixture I use this and just replace one of the plant light bulbs with a t5 uvb bulb
i would be ok ordering the bulb online. i do however think i have seen them at country max though but i cant remember... that fixture u showed... how far down from the cieling does that hang? is it secure? i always get nervous hanging anything from the ceiling but also u use that for uvb and led?? so technically we can use other fixtures other than retisun and arcadia? cuz i think i may get that t5 fixture that was used from my local petstore and just buy a brand new 5.0 uvb bulb to put into it.

i would be ok ordering the bulb online. i do however think i have seen them at country max though but i cant remember... that fixture u showed... how far down from the cieling does that hang? is it secure? i always get nervous hanging anything from the ceiling but also u use that for uvb and led?? so technically we can use other fixtures other than retisun and arcadia? cuz i think i may get that t5 fixture that was used from my local petstore and just buy a brand new 5.0 uvb bulb to put into it.
I just lay them on top of my cages and they seem to be fine and measure the uvi from the basking branch with a solameter I do use uvb and led in the same fixture it’s just less cables I’d say its pretty secure I’ve never had any issues with it. I hear great things about Arcadia fixtures but I’ve only personally used their shadedweller fixture but never anything for a chameleon. I do typically keep my chameleons at a higher uvi than 3 as I have montanes and they seem to sit on their branches at uvi of 5-6 instead of hanging on the top of the screen so it’s species dependent the distance between the bulb and the branch keep in mind the screen reduces uvb. for smaller cages I use bakers racks to elevate the uvb bulbs but on the larger cages idk I’ve never elevated a large uvb fixture like ones for my chameleons

Oh these fixtures do produce a little more heat than just a single uvb fixture would so I’d be aware of that it doesn’t reach far down and quickly dicipates if you have all screen but if you have a solid sided cage then you may not need a basking bulb with just this fixture

I know I’ve messaged a lot but this is just what works for me and what I’ve used although I’d also be open to better lighting set ups as long as they don’t break the bank and are benificial to the animal

Arcadia make T5 HO 6% UVB bulbs in 22", 34", and 46"
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/forest/

Most fixtures (including Arcadia but not Reptisun) are made by the same factory in Shenzen China, and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
So shop for price.

Reptisun makes a 30" hood (fixture) but IMO their hoods are overpriced.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00B39QG1Y
HOWEVER, I don't see a 28"/30" bulb listed on their site.
https://zoomed.com/reptisun-5-0-uvb-t5-ho-high-output-linear-lamp/

Re: Arcadia vs. Reptisun, I have both, and IMO, they are virtually identical—both are rated and warrantied for 1 yr. I have a Reptisun that's over 2 years old and still serviceable. My oldest Arcadia is about 18 months, and still serviceable, but beginning to degrade slightly.

I forget how large your enclosure is, but if it's not 48"W, a 48" UVB is overkill, will cost more to replace bulbs, and could be a hazard overhanging a 24" enclosure.

For a plant light, IMO you can't beat the 70W Sansi. I have 2 of them in my 48"W enclosure.
For a 24"W enclosure, one is plenty.
https://www.sansiled.com/products/70w-led-grow-light

Back
Top Bottom