UVB UVA Tester Cards

eat2muchrice

Avid Member
REPTI ZOO UVB Tester Reptile Lamp UV Sensor Reptile UVA UVB Fluorescent Lamp Tester Card

Not selling anything here, but thought these are really cool for only $8 for two on Amazon. Tested all my lights and it worked for the basic needs I wanted them for.

Attachments

• 71xIzGYgocL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71xIzGYgocL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
First I've heard of them.
Personally, I'd probably dig further to (try to) understand the theory, chemistry, physics, whatever of how they work, along with some analysis & reviews.... but that's me. ?

Are they reusable or one-time use?

Just curious—I have a Solarmeter, but I can see these as a le$$ expensive (less accurate?) quick check for some folks. YMMV.

Ehhhh I don't know if I would trust them... They are not telling you what the UVI levels are... While it may show you that there is UV output I would be extremely hesitant to trust what the output is that it is picking up on. Solarmeter 6.5 is the only real way to know for sure what your output is and at what levels.

Tested this with a few different bulbs and here are my results. Again, fits my basic needs to test what bulbs need to be changed or if they are fake. It would be great if someone here with a $250 Solarmeter or professional meter can do comparison test with these cards.

1 year old vs brand new mercury vapor bulb, showed slight difference in UV output, new being strongest.

2 year old Reptisun 5.0 vs brand new, showed large difference in color, old needing to be replaced.

All led, incandescent and halogen bulbs show no signs of UV light.

My understanding is that according to the International Ultraviolet Association, will allow UV-A to pass through while almost 100% of the UV-B and UV-C light is blocked. So these cards do change color through glass, meaning they can detect at least detect UV-A.

They say 500 uses per card.

E
REPTI ZOO UVB Tester Reptile Lamp UV Sensor Reptile UVA UVB Fluorescent Lamp Tester Card

Not selling anything here, but thought these are really cool for only $8 for two on Amazon. Tested all my lights and it worked for the basic needs I wanted them for.
easy test: get a uvb meter, and cross-check the results. If these things accurately track the diminishing output of uvb bulbs, then they might be a good resource for those whose cannot afford a uvb meter. Someone should probably run such a test/s, and report back.

These are real popular over in the EU.

There are a bunch of brands.

In this style normally the sun is UVA, and the flames are UVB, or the other way around. However some will react to just UVA. That is the main problem. If you take some plexi glass outside, it will allow UVA through, and zero UVB, but the card says you are good. So that is a great way to check your card.

There are even more advanced ones that have a UVI chart that goes to 10.

These cards normally turn the correct color when hit with UVI 1.0 or higher.

You expose the card for exactly 10 seconds. Its a timed measurement which why it can be a bit iffy.

They are great for testing aging of bulbs, which OP has already started doing :)

There are also other cards that look exactly the same, but are meant for testing UVC radiation leaks, and people get pissed when they get the wrong "UV" card in the mail...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom