UVB Question

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
So far, my experience with UVB has been with bearded dragons (not just different Species than panther chameleons, they're different Families, and differently oriented enclosures).

With bearded dragons, the current consensus is that the UVB fixture should not run the entire length of the tank, but only ½ to ¾ of the length of the tank, in order to allow the animal ways to get out of―or away from―the UVB if it wants to.

Is there any such recommendation for a panther chameleon enclosure, or should it run across the entire top of the enclosure? IOW, if a chameleon wants to get away from the UVB, is distance & plant cover enough, or should bulb exposure also be limited?

I'm already aware that a chameleon only needs a Reptisun 5.0 (T5) or Arcadia 6% (T5), and to place it above the top screen. I'm only asking about the length of fixture.

THX.

So far, my experience with UVB has been with bearded dragons (not just different Species than panther chameleons, they're different Families, and differently oriented enclosures).

With bearded dragons, the current consensus is that the UVB fixture should not run the entire length of the tank, but only ½ to ¾ of the length of the tank, in order to allow the animal ways to get out of―or away from―the UVB if it wants to.

Is there any such recommendation for a panther chameleon enclosure, or should it run across the entire top of the enclosure? IOW, if a chameleon wants to get away from the UVB, is distance & plant cover enough, or should bulb exposure also be limited?

I'm already aware that a chameleon only needs a Reptisun 5.0 (T5) or Arcadia 6% (T5), and to place it above the top screen. I'm only asking about the length of fixture.

THX.
Yes, the uvb needs to run the width of the enclosure. Chams can get away from it by going lower or farther away. Unlike beardies, chameleons also have (or should have) adequate foliage throughout their enclosure so they have some shady spots.

To me it seemed odd not to provide uvb the length of my beardie’s tank. Lol :ROFLMAO:
TBH, it seemed odd to me too; I figured he'd just crawl into a hide, or stay on the floor (26" away).
He has stayed on the floor occasionally, but he just doesn't use hides, and mostly stays where the UVI is 3-5.

Thanks!

TBH, it seemed odd to me too; I figured he'd just crawl into a hide, or stay on the floor (26" away).
He has stayed on the floor occasionally, but he just doesn't use hides, and mostly stays where the UVI is 3-5.

Thanks!
I put the uvb next to his basking light, so he gets plenty.

THX.
This will also be helpful for you... The forest edge method works really well for them. https://chameleonacademy.com/forest-edge-chameleon-cage-method/

Back
Top Bottom