UVB bulb-only plants?

One of the last things for me to figure out before I am equipped with all of the basic info to care for a chameleon and set up an enclosure is whether or not to use live plants. They seem like a good idea for the sake of naturalistic-ness and keeping humidity up, plus as extra food for a veiled. Further, I also like the idea of making an enclosure bioactive by introducing isopod and springtails into the soil, which I believe goes hand in hand with having live plants. However, the extra expense and care requirements make me hesitant. To make it easier for me, I was thinking that one central, potted or planted plant would be easiest and that I would try to get one that can subsist on the uvb released by the bulb so that I don’t have to get a third bulb and dome exclusively for the plant. Does anyone know of any chameleon-safe, large plants that fit this requirement? Or any that are similar to what I am describing? If so, they sound like the perfect inclusion for my to-be enclosure! If not, then I will make do. :)
(One last question: are live plants worth it for a panther if they don’t eat them? Or, are they worth it at all for a starter setup?)

Bio active is the way to go. I'm switching all my enclosures to that now. I have 7 to do but still worth it.
1. Plants do not do as well in the pots. They get crowded and will not be as healthy.

2. If your cage is clean your chameleon will have a better chance od being healthy and less stressed.

3. It is easier on you as well. But the other factors are more important then making easier on yourself.

Just my top 3. For what it's worth.

I have a panther as well, and couldn't imagine not having live plants. I had strongly considered bio active but am living in an apartment with two other people so I'm holding off.

other than a few vines everything I have is a real plant. a pothos mounted high up with lots of air plants in my canopy the pothos trailing down makes a great highway of vines and a "centerpiece" plant on the ground ties it all together.

For centerpiece many use ficus or schefflura or even the money trees.

I also have some dracaena I rotate to catch some drips from misting / dripper.

Last edited:
Bioactive isnt totally necessary. I wouldnt even attempt it myself to be honest. If you want to do all the research and add all the certain aspects to the bottom of your enclosure its up to you.

But chameleons are fairly simple to clean up after. They dont really use the bathroom as much as you think. Its easier to just put a matt type piece down and spot clean. Especially if your just starting off eith your first cham. Give it time and see if its for you and something you want.

As far as plants... its always best to have live plants... if even just a few pothos vines.. which thrive with just ambient sunlight that goes through your house... ( in my experience. ) but mainly for chameleons to hide in to feel safe n add humidity. ( also panthers are less likely to nibble on plants, i love mine :) )

Even if you add a simple bulb or even LEDS for plants youll find it makes the enclosure really pop with no dark corners. As viewing your enclosure goes.

Pothos do very well with minimal light, could probably get away with a dracaena as well if you have a little bit of window light coming in. Other than that, most plants will eventually stress and get attacked by aphids or whatever else.

Bioactive is definitely worth it if you can. It's not just the bottom of the enclosure it affects. It helps stabilize humidity, prevents the build up of mold and potentially harmful bacteria, could argue that it adds enrichment through a more natural setting, and I wouldn't doubt that it improves a chameleon's immune system through healthy exposure to microorganisms. Not to mention the convenience of clean up, no dead feeders, cham poop, feeder poop, leaves, and other detritus laying around. This becomes even nicer if/when you decide to get more chameleons or reptiles down the road.

If I make my chameleons enclosure with soil and isopods at the bottom, is it necessary to put plants in the soil or can they be suspended by dragon strands? Or not included at all? And, just to clarify, Pothos will do fine without an extra bulb?

I'm using a bin for mine. I never had much luck with the plants in the enclosures but with this set up and the right lighting, UVB and the plant light liner combo, my plants are doing great.

Bio active is definitely not necessary but if you can do it I'm sure you'll love it.

If I make my chameleons enclosure with soil and isopods at the bottom, is it necessary to put plants in the soil or can they be suspended by dragon strands? Or not included at all? And, just to clarify, Pothos will do fine without an extra bulb?
How much natural light does the enclosure / room get ? Any direct sun ?

How much natural light does the enclosure / room get ? Any direct sun ?
I am planning on positioning the enclosure next to a window, but perhaps that would filter the sunlight too much? And I couldn’t just keep the window open, it would be too cold. So, probably not much. I am planning on making sure that the window isn’t drafty, though, so at least the sunlight will be able to bring the heat up.

As long as there is light coming in the room, the plants will benefit. The windows filter the UV. My plants do well next to the windows.

For spot cleaning question... do you mean if you have a bio substrate? No you won't have to. Only time I clean is if there is poop on a leaf, I'll pluck the leaf and drop it to the substrate. And I wipe down the sides of the cage if they get dirty on the rare occasion. That's about it...

I went completely bioactive and what I love about it most is that it is simply beautiful to look at. Chameleon or not, I wouldn't mind just having it to look at and care for. I built a back wall where I planted all plants into pockets and then a tropical "forest" at the bottom. My chameleon has a favorite spot to sleep in the tree down there.

I went completely bioactive and what I love about it most is that it is simply beautiful to look at. Chameleon or not, I wouldn't mind just having it to look at and care for. I built a back wall where I planted all plants into pockets and then a tropical "forest" at the bottom. My chameleon has a favorite spot to sleep in the tree down there.

Yeah kinda like a little terrarium... i can see that looking nice on its own... my cousin used to have a 30 gal octagon aquarium made into a terraium and it was amazing to look at an there werent even any aninals in it

How would a bioactive work? Would the dirt be exposed? I was under the impression that soil should be covered with rocks so the Cham doesn’t try to eat it. And can you do this in a screen cage?

How would a bioactive work? Would the dirt be exposed? I was under the impression that soil should be covered with rocks so the Cham doesn’t try to eat it. And can you do this in a screen cage?
Cup feeding or using tongs would prevent the threat of the cham eating dirt. Aside from that, I don't see why it couldn't be done in a screen enclosure.

Don't use tongs for feeding, chams easily get their tongs stuck on them and can be injured. Also dirt doesn't cause impaction. Just don't have bark or gravel that the cham could choke on.

The tongue damage from tongs is something I had not considered

thanks

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom