UV bubls`

Dan

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to purchase UV bulbs for a good price?
Thanks!

is a 10.0 bulb too much for a 4ft high cage with the bulb fixture mounted about 8inches above the top of cage?

Generally, we all use the 5.0 bulbs directly on the cage top with a basking branch about 6 inches under it. 8 inches would be too far away, imo, because that means the cham would be about 10 inches away at a minimum. They really need to be under it and the rays don't go very far.

but wouldnt the rays be able to reach further down if it were a 10.0? I ask because i purchased a new custom enclosure that came with mounted fixtures

There is really no way to know for sure in this situation without a UV meter.
10.0 for sure, but as far as how much UVB actually makes it through the screen and down to the chameleon ,,, ???
We would only be guessing.
There is no way to adjust the fixture so that the light could be mounted closer to the top of the enclosure?

-Brad

Ya, I could...with a little work unmount the fixture and set it directly ontop of the screen. it just looked so nice and clean I didnt wana mess it up. You recommend that I unmount it though? The LLLreptile site says a 10.0 only reaches down 20inches..it seems like a 5.0 regardless if mounted 8inches up, or on top of the cage wouldnt reach far enough down into the cage.

You are right, to a degree. A 10.0 UV bulb will shoot UV light at a deeper range then a 5.0, however its not only the depth you have to consider.

People who have studied various UV bulbs often create Spread Charts that tell the actual amount of UV radiation there is at the various distances away from the bulb.

For instance, Lets say you purchased a ReptiGlo 8.0, based on the fact that the UV Radiation is said to reach 15" away. At 1-3" from the bulb, you are frying your chams eyes. At 15" away, well, you might as well keep him in a shoe box as there really isnt enough UV Radiation provided at that depth to really make any sort of difference in D3 production.

This is where a UV meter really comes into play. As there are other factors that affect the actual amount of UV radiation. For instance, Aluminum Screen material, Resin Screen Material, The Pelicle type mesh used in Reptariums, all absorb different amounts of UV.

I would really recommend taking a long read of http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm

I havent found many other resources that so clearly state this as well as many of the people here on the forums.

Just something to consider.

Ya, I could...with a little work unmount the fixture and set it directly ontop of the screen. it just looked so nice and clean I didnt wana mess it up. You recommend that I unmount it though? The LLLreptile site says a 10.0 only reaches down 20inches..it seems like a 5.0 regardless if mounted 8inches up, or on top of the cage wouldnt reach far enough down into the cage.

Ok...so im still a little unsure. After reading that link that sage posted I feel like I should stick with a 5.0...however, it seemed like Brad (who def knows what hes talkin about) recommended the 10.0. ...?

if one 5.0 on top isn't providing enought light, add a 2nd, instead of going with a 10.0. 5.0 + 5.0 is not the same as a 10.0

A UV guage would be best so you could confirm the amount of light present, but it seems most logical to me to stick with a 5.0

Ok...so im still a little unsure. After reading that link that sage posted I feel like I should stick with a 5.0...however, it seemed like Brad (who def knows what hes talkin about) recommended the 10.0. ...?

honestly, I used 5.0 UVB on ALL my chameleons with no problem whatsoever.
Just give a clear basking spot (UVB and UVA) on the top. Your chameleon can judge for itself whether he needs more uvb or not..
Just give him the option.

My adult cham is in a 52" tall screen cage.

If you really want to be nitpicky about it; then, get a UV meter and measure the uv output.
make sure your chameleon gets 5-15uW/cm2 of UV-B for 12 hr/day (from Dr. Ferguson's book).

You can try Mega Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb 100 low watt, that one is made for lizards like chameleons who dont need as much UV output like others and its in stock, i have that for mine....

Only recommended the 10.0 if you leave the fixture as is.
If you can bring the light down to the top of the screen, you should use the 5.0
All my lights are 5.0.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom