UTH on outside of cage?

Would it be ok to add a UTH with a very high quality thermostat to the outside of the enclosure just to raise ambients by 5-10f degrees? Its a dragonstrand so the sides and back are pvc and not screen. Not even sure if it would work, just an idea I had for those cooler winter days/nights.

What kind of chameleon do you have? Veileds can handle temps down to the 60’s safely. If it gets really cold in your house, you could use a ceramic heat emitter for nights.

Getting a Panther chameleon in about a month. Night temps are in the 60s but wanted ideas just in case it dipped below for some reason.

Would it be ok to add a UTH with a very high quality thermostat to the outside of the enclosure just to raise ambients by 5-10f degrees? Its a dragonstrand so the sides and back are pvc and not screen. Not even sure if it would work, just an idea I had for those cooler winter days/nights.
Is the door on yours solid?

Door and top are screen, rest of sides are pvc.
Ok so it will still hold temps better then an all screen. Temps can drop to 50's without issue for the cham. I would personally use a room heater if they fall below that rather then heat on the enclosure. This way you are bumping the ambient of the room rather then just focused heat on the enclosure. Especially if you are fogging at night. You want cool temps for that rather then hot moist air.

Ok so it will still hold temps better then an all screen. Temps can drop to 50's without issue for the cham. I would personally use a room heater if they fall below that rather then heat on the enclosure. This way you are bumping the ambient of the room rather then just focused heat on the enclosure. Especially if you are fogging at night. You want cool temps for that rather then hot moist air.

I agree with @Beman . Do not worry abut night time temp, you want cool. I actually pump in cool outside air to get down to 63f
Also my son has a chinchilla, when his room hits the 50s you know it. Point being they can handle and benefit from night time temp drops and the rise in humidity. even down to 55f. Most houses do not get this cold.
My goal is 60f at night with 100% humidity. This is what I shoot for, not necessarily what I achieve every night.

Gotcha thanks! The enclosure at night is about 62-64f degrees and won't ever dip below that ever unless I had some kind of weird power outtage which we normally don't get. I've done all my research but wasn't sure about the night temps. Ive been breeding ball pythons for years so i am used to making sure temps don't go below 70f at night. Thanks for making it clear, I keep reading a temp drop at night is beneficial and wanted to double check. Thanks again!

I agree with @Beman . Do not worry abut night time temp, you want cool. I actually pump in cool outside air to get down to 63f
Also my son has a chinchilla, when his room hits the 50s you know it. Point being they can handle and benefit from night time temp drops and the rise in humidity. even down to 55f. Most houses do not get this cold.
My goal is 60f at night with 100% humidity. This is what I shoot for, not necessarily what I achieve every night.
Thank you so much! This is the only thing I wasn't sure about and want to make sure everything is perfect for when he arrives!

Gotcha thanks! The enclosure at night is about 62-64f degrees and won't ever dip below that ever unless I had some kind of weird power outtage which we normally don't get. I've done all my research but wasn't sure about the night temps. Ive been breeding ball pythons for years so i am used to making sure temps don't go below 70f at night. Thanks for making it clear, I keep reading a temp drop at night is beneficial and wanted to double check. Thanks again!

LOL the temp thing , I am a snake guy also, so it was weird for me to now go to the cool side if you will. Still feel odd not shooting for 80

Back
Top Bottom