URGENT Please help! w/ Female veiled chameleon

ryantrash

I have a female veiled chameleon, aged I think 2-3 years. She's been in heat the last few weeks, and I think she may have laid her eggs but I'm not completely sure (I plan on checking her dirt soon but I want to wait until she's asleep).

(a little context) She usually wants out of her cage immediately in the mornings, so I let her out & she usually sits in the window and loves sitting there all day, but the last week or so she's been really moody and sitting on her highest branch not coming down, veiled with darker colours, and she looked fatter.
The other night I noticed she was at the bottom of her cage in the dirt so I left immediately. Today she's been in a better mood and even looks a bit better and is actually crawling around her cage & wanted out, and is resting ontop of her cage as I type this.

But to get to the issue, I think she may have a sperm plug? She's been trying to expel some sort of clear looking substance from her butt the last 2 or 3 days, but it looks attached to her.
It looks like a peeled grape almost, but kind of veiny and she keeps trying to rub it on things to get rid of it. I'm not sure if its a sperm plug & I'm still worried she might've not laid her eggs because of it? Is that possible? Is there any way I can help her out?

side note: She's also been looking a bit dry lately (I think she might be shedding soon, I'm not sure) & her eyes have been sunken in a little bit. Is this all normal for a chameleon about to be laying eggs? I've been misting & getting her to drink lots of water, and her urine is really white so I don't think she's dehydrated but I'm still really worried.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you! My boyfriend suggested it could be a sperm plug, and I asked him if the female chameleons even got those but I couldn't find anything specific enough online to find out.

I will try to attach some photos, but my phone is broken currently.

& okay I will be sure to do that, thanks for the suggestion! i made my account for this very instance so I'm not too sure how the forums work.

We need photos of what is sticking out of her and of her whole body.
If it's a prolapse...it's a medical emergency and you need to act fast to fix it.
oh gosh. thanks! someone also suggested it could be a prolapse. I think she might have a lack of calcium that's causing it that i'm fixing, but I will work on getting her looked at asap

If there is pink tissue sticking out you have to keeping moist with K-Y jelly or it will become necrotic. This really needs to be seen right away if it's a prolapse. The calcium may still need work...but you need to deal with a prolapse, if that's what it is, immediately....or your chameleon will die very soon.

oh gosh. thanks! someone also suggested it could be a prolapse. I think she might have a lack of calcium that's causing it that i'm fixing, but I will work on getting her looked at asap
You need to find a vet who has chameleon experience.
Is it still sticking out? Do you have any photos yet?

Back
Top Bottom