Upping my UVB Game

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello All,

Now that I got my solar meter I have been testing out the highest branches in my enclosure, this is what I am finding. I am particularly worried about my veiled's UVB exposure. I have tested 4 lights in total and can't get a higher reading for the branches she is on. Do I need to add higher branches or get a stronger UVB bulb? The ones I am currently using for her are the Arcadia 6%.

Pictures of all my enclosures are attached. If you see anything I need to change to improve things for my chams please let me know!! Also am I holding it right?? 🤣 🤣

Attachments

• IMG-7567.jpg
    IMG-7567.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-7570.jpg
    IMG-7570.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-7571.jpg
    IMG-7571.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-7572.jpg
    IMG-7572.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-7573.jpg
    IMG-7573.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-7569.jpg
    IMG-7569.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-7568.jpg
    IMG-7568.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 43
Hey hun your highest readings are going to be branches directly below the UVB bulb. If they are off to the side from the bulb your readings will be lower. UVB path of light is strongest directly below. With your Bulbs running diagonally. Make sure you have a branch that runs parallel to the UVB fixture as well. This will allow the cham to pic where it wants to be below UVB in different temps as well moving away from a heat fixture area.

Yes, your holding it correctly. So it looks like your testing both cages in that one pic at the branch your getting a 3 which is what I would expect with a 6% and then as you raise higher your moving more towards a 4 UVI. In that last pic you can see clearly the Panther cham is getting the 4 UVI. Still fine and within limits.

Now for the Veiled... Your UVI should be higher with the distances your testing and a 6%. What is different about this cage or is the fixture different? Did you try testing levels if you move the UVB fixture from the panther over to the Veiled cage? That will tell you if you are dealing with a fixture issue, bulb issue, or screen issue.

Hey @Beman! Thanks for such a quick response! I don't think I have any branches running diagonally in any of my enclosures so I'll fix that tonight since I have some extra sticks laying around from my last project.

My veiled's fixture situation is a little funky, it was back when I was overwhelmed with the whole fixture/uvb bulb situation when I was first starting out and I bought a 24" T5HO hood & UVB light combo kit similar to this one only UVB was a 10%. I have since replaced the 10% lights with the Arcadia 6% bulbs. When I first bought this kit I only had one, when I got on the Chameleon Forums it was recommended that I give her UVB across the entire length of her enclosure and again, being overwhelmed by it, just purchased the same thing again. SO... I am in the process of ordering a new hood that is 34" so I just have to deal with one light instead of two. I was going to get this one, and get this UVB since the Arcadia is sold out again. I do have this as a backup hood I can put on top of her enclosure to see if that helps with her levels until I get the longer one in.

Her enclosure is the Exo Terra Screen Terrarium, my other chams are in the XL Reptibreeze with the same hood from Pangea mentioned above.

I have not tried switching fixtures so I will do that now and let you know what my findings are. BRB :)

Alright case of the low UVB is solved. When I put the panther's UVB on the Veiled's enclosure I got the right levels easily. I took my backup hood I have and put on her enclosure and got the right levels again. I've removed the least effective hood and have my working back up hood and the second hood situated over different sticks giving her a range of something in the 3's to the 2's. She has UVB across the length of her enclosure as well, which will work well until I get her a longer hood. (pictures attached)

Now my next question is, how concerned should I be with MBD or being egg bound (still no eggs) if she has not had sufficient UVB for who knows how long? I have a good supplement routine and am rigid with it so she has gotten vitamin D3 every other week like recommended and have done this routine with her since I got her. (This was probably the first and only thing I had right when I first got her).

Attachments

• IMG-7575.jpg
    IMG-7575.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-7576.jpg
    IMG-7576.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-7577.jpg
    IMG-7577.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-7581.jpg
    IMG-7581.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-7580.jpg
    IMG-7580.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-7579.jpg
    IMG-7579.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
Alright case of the low UVB is solved. When I put the panther's UVB on the Veiled's enclosure I got the right levels easily. I took my backup hood I have and put on her enclosure and got the right levels again. I've removed the least effective hood and have my working back up hood and the second hood situated over different sticks giving her a range of something in the 3's to the 2's. She has UVB across the length of her enclosure as well, which will work well until I get her a longer hood. (pictures attached)

Now my next question is, how concerned should I be with MBD or being egg bound (still no eggs) if she has not had sufficient UVB for who knows how long? I have a good supplement routine and am rigid with it so she has gotten vitamin D3 every other week like recommended and have done this routine with her since I got her. (This was probably the first and only thing I had right when I first got her).
I had a feeling it was your fixture. Normally uvb bulbs have a brighter white hue to them. Yours looked more blue.

So just keep her on her correct supplements. I am not seeing any visible signs of mbd. She may have some slight issues but she was still in a lower UVI at the 1.5 ish level. So still access to UVB even if it was lower levels her body was still doing what it needed to do with the UVB conversion. Keep her in that 3-4 range branch to back. Make sure you have a branch running parallel to your fixture so that if she is on that top level and walks around she is still in that UVI exposure.

I think she will be just fine. This is where a solarmeter pays off. Nothing like the peace of mind it can give.

I see Beman already helped with this, so I just wanted to say two things:

1) I hope your girl turns out to be just fine!
2) Thank you for providing another thing for me to be paranoid about that I probably will remain paranoid over until I also get a meter :) 🙃 :) 🙃 :) 🙃 😂

Hiya, @elizaann2 great tool having a uvb meter.
Readings can be confusing especially through screening. Can you take a uvb reading without the screening at the same distance as your basking site?
This will help compare how much uvb is getting through the mesh to your spot.

Hiya, great tool having a uvb meter.
Readings can be confusing especially through screening. Can you take a uvb reading without the screening at the same distance as your basking site?
This will help compare how much uvb is getting through the mesh to your spot.
The only thing I'd say about this though is that it kind of doesn't matter in a way what the readings are without the screen. Simply because we are always going to be using the screen.

So it's the readings THROUGH the screen that we want specifically. Because at the end of the day if you aren't getting those to be what the chameleon needs, thats where we know we need to make an adjustment!

I'm still new to all of this though so don't mind me. That's just my general thought on this.

Thank you for posting This is a valuable lesson for readers of how important a solarmeter can be.

I had a feeling it was your fixture. Normally uvb bulbs have a brighter white hue to them. Yours looked more blue.

So just keep her on her correct supplements. I am not seeing any visible signs of mbd. She may have some slight issues but she was still in a lower UVI at the 1.5 ish level. So still access to UVB even if it was lower levels her body was still doing what it needed to do with the UVB conversion. Keep her in that 3-4 range branch to back. Make sure you have a branch running parallel to your fixture so that if she is on that top level and walks around she is still in that UVI exposure.

I think she will be just fine. This is where a solarmeter pays off. Nothing like the peace of mind it can give.
Oh I have not noticed the white/blue hue in the lights, good eye!

She does have a branch running parallel to her UVB light and I have noticed that she has been under it most of the day so that is good. I'll keep to the same supplement schedule as recommended :)

Seriously! Already that solar meter has been worth every penny. I can't believe she wasn't getting sufficient UVB! That hood and light kit cost me 75 bucks and who knows how long it wasnt working well! I would have never known. I'd almost say a solar meter is a necessity in this hobby with how important UVB is.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate all you do!

I see Beman already helped with this, so I just wanted to say two things:

1) I hope your girl turns out to be just fine!
2) Thank you for providing another thing for me to be paranoid about that I probably will remain paranoid over until I also get a meter :) 🙃 :) 🙃 :) 🙃 😂
1). I hope so too! I know you aren't supposed to have favorites, but my veiled girl is by far my favorite chameleon and even pet that I have (I also have dogs, a hamster and a crested gecko). I'm just going to keep a close eye on her as per usual, she has a 'chamera' so I just watch her all the time :)
2. Glad I could help!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 I would get a solar meter asap if I were you, I have no idea how long that hood hasn't been working well and I've had it for over a year! Its crazy!!! I know a cheaper option was recommended as well as a $50 alternative, maybe you could get one of those instead?

1). I hope so too! I know you aren't supposed to have favorites, but my veiled girl is by far my favorite chameleon and even pet that I have (I also have dogs, a hamster and a crested gecko). I'm just going to keep a close eye on her as per usual, she has a 'chamera' so I just watch her all the time :)
2. Glad I could help!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 I would get a solar meter asap if I were you, I have no idea how long that hood hasn't been working well and I've had it for over a year! Its crazy!!! I know a cheaper option was recommended as well as a $50 alternative, maybe you could get one of those instead?
I'm gonna look into that. I'm probably a couple weeks away from ordering that but I plan on getting something!

Oh I have not noticed the white/blue hue in the lights, good eye!

She does have a branch running parallel to her UVB light and I have noticed that she has been under it most of the day so that is good. I'll keep to the same supplement schedule as recommended :)

Seriously! Already that solar meter has been worth every penny. I can't believe she wasn't getting sufficient UVB! That hood and light kit cost me 75 bucks and who knows how long it wasnt working well! I would have never known. I'd almost say a solar meter is a necessity in this hobby with how important UVB is.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate all you do!
My pleasure and don’t stress I think she is going to be just fine hun.

I do stress. I just want everything to be ok and I love them all so much. Hahah...I'm sure in another year I'll be calmer about everything.
I totally get it. But you caught it. Now you have the solarmeter so you will always know. And yes in time nerves calm down as you know the ins and outs of your husbandry and chams behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom